Flavour of the Week - Mainline

I recently respooled my reels and i loaded them with ESP Syncro Loaded XT which is the first time i've ever used it and i must say it is absolutely superb.

It sinks like a brick, can cast miles if i need it too and it comes in a lovely olive green that i find blends in to almost any lakebed. 

I see a lot of confusion over mainlines. Guys seem to compare lines that are intended for completely different uses. There are numerous different types of lines and each have different advantages/disadvantages, and I'm only referring to mono here.... not fluoro, braid etc.....

Pre-stretched lines:

These are your casting lines like Fox Exocet. They obviously have very low stretch and fine diameter vs. BS and they have a super smooth finish. The result is a line that casts really well. Unfortunately the abrasion resistance is what suffers. Hence in a weedy lake you want to avoid pre-stretched lines.

Semi-stretched lines (I made that name up, not sure what they're actually called):

These are the latest in line tech and include Gardner GT-HD and Shimano Technium. They are pre-stretched but to a lesser extent than the casting lines. This means they cast very well but maintain other qualities (so they can sink well for example). They beat the pre-stretched lines for abrasion resistance yet still cast a long way.

All-rounders:

These are the more traditional mono's, the meat-and-two-veg carp lines. they include stuff like Gardner Pro and ESP Synchro. Just because they're not high tech lines doesn't mean they're not very good indeed. They'll not cast as well as the stretched lines but they are hands-down stronger, with better abrasion resistance. If weed is an issue I'd not look past this group of lines.

Snag lines:

Brute lines, thick with immense strength and serious abrasion resistance. You'll struggle to cast these past 100 yards without casting lessons but if there's snags about this is what you want. Stuff like Gardner HydroTuff and Rig Marole SLS Specimon Tough. 

Now I see guys comparing lines from different categories all the time. Just the other day I saw a thread on another forum asking if GT-HD or HydrTuff was best. They cannot be compared imo - the GT-HD would be best in a lightly weeded lake requiring big chucks, but with snags or heavy weed in the water the HydroTuff wins hands down. Therefore you can only decide what is best for your angling situation. You need to look at how far you need to cast and what kind of challenges your water presents (weed, bars etc) and choose a line to suit.

I always err on the side of caution i.e. STRENGTH. What I mean by that is I would rather be a few yards short of the carp and be in with a chance of landing them, than being able to cast on their heads but lose them all to snags/weed. I have used pre-stretched lines on French trips to huge silty waters with no weed/snags, waters where you need to cast 150, and they've been great. But there is no way I'd choose to use them on the weed choked waters I fish in the UK.

I think a lot of guys pay to much attention to castability.

If you need to cast 150 then fair play, go for pre-stretched lines, if you don't (and most don't), go for a proper carp line, an all-rounder or semi-stretched line at least, one that will land you everything you hook.

So next time you see a "what's the best line?" thread we need to stop and think before we go shouting out the name of what we're currently using. What is best depends entirely on the individual and his/her angling situation. If the angling situation varies, then it is logical that the all-rounders are best (the best of which imo is Gardner Pro).

I'm currently suing HydroTuff due to a minimum diameter rule on my syndi, which is normally very weedy. It's been great, never let me down.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

I see a lot of confusion over mainlines. Guys seem to compare lines that are intended for completely different uses. There are numerous different types of lines and each have different advantages/disadvantages, and I'm only referring to mono here.... not fluoro, braid etc.....

Pre-stretched lines:

These are your casting lines like Fox Exocet. They obviously have very low stretch and fine diameter vs. BS and they have a super smooth finish. The result is a line that casts really well. Unfortunately the abrasion resistance is what suffers. Hence in a weedy lake you want to avoid pre-stretched lines.

Semi-stretched lines (I made that name up, not sure what they're actually called):

These are the latest in line tech and include Gardner GT-HD and Shimano Technium. They are pre-stretched but to a lesser extent than the casting lines. This means they cast very well but maintain other qualities (so they can sink well for example). They beat the pre-stretched lines for abrasion resistance yet still cast a long way.

All-rounders:

These are the more traditional mono's, the meat-and-two-veg carp lines. they include stuff like Gardner Pro and ESP Synchro. Just because they're not high tech lines doesn't mean they're not very good indeed. They'll not cast as well as the stretched lines but they are hands-down stronger, with better abrasion resistance. If weed is an issue I'd not look past this group of lines.

Snag lines:

Brute lines, thick with immense strength and serious abrasion resistance. You'll struggle to cast these past 100 yards without casting lessons but if there's snags about this is what you want. Stuff like Gardner HydroTuff and Rig Marole SLS Specimon Tough. 

Now I see guys comparing lines from different categories all the time. Just the other day I saw a thread on another forum asking if GT-HD or HydrTuff was best. They cannot be compared imo - the GT-HD would be best in a lightly weeded lake requiring big chucks, but with snags or heavy weed in the water the HydroTuff wins hands down. Therefore you can only decide what is best for your angling situation. You need to look at how far you need to cast and what kind of challenges your water presents (weed, bars etc) and choose a line to suit.

I always err on the side of caution i.e. STRENGTH. What I mean by that is I would rather be a few yards short of the carp and be in with a chance of landing them, than being able to cast on their heads but lose them all to snags/weed. I have used pre-stretched lines on French trips to huge silty waters with no weed/snags, waters where you need to cast 150, and they've been great. But there is no way I'd choose to use them on the weed choked waters I fish in the UK.

If you need to cast 150 then fair play, go for pre-stretched lines, if you don't (and most don't), go for a proper carp line, an all-rounder or semi-stretched line at least, one that will land you everything you hook.

So next time you see a "what's the best line?" thread we need to stop and think before we go shouting out the name of what we're currently using. What is best depends entirely on the individual and his/her angling situation. If the angling situation varies, then it is logical that the all-rounders are best (the best of which imo is Gardner Pro).

I'm currently suing HydroTuff due to a minimum diameter rule on my syndi, which is normally very weedy. It's been great, never let me down.

Good post this mate  .... & the exact reason I carry two types of line with me , 1 snag line & one casting   . 

4 hours ago, yonny said:

Pre-stretched lines:

All-rounders:

Snag lines:

This is a realy good insight to lines...i can tell you have very good knowledge of a lot of tackle Yonny...surely you must have been a tackle advisor or something or is it just personal knowledge gained through the years...

47 minutes ago, Highy said:

surely you must have been a tackle advisor or something or is it just personal knowledge gained through the years...

Lol, no mate nothing like that, I just like to know what I'm using. I tend to do plenty of research on the stuff that matters and it can only benefit us all if I share what I've learned over the years.

Gardner hydro-tuff. Where I'm at, there is a abundance of not just gravel, but good-sized rocks, some very large. But even the HT gets pretty chewed up, so I have to cut off line, and even change line often. Also have to go using long Kryston snag leaders(at least 3'), and tubing if I can get my line through 3-4ft of it. Even with that, have to often cut line off.

2 hours ago, The Compleat Angler said:

GR60 Has served me well for a good few years,

I like the GR60, it's one I've gone back to a couple of times if I've ever strayed or been sucked in by the marketing on other gear..

Now that the weed is clear and the water will be getting clearer as the weather cools, I have some Carp-R-Us Flouro that I might give a go through the winter on a small water I fish...….. Must of had it over 2 yrs and it is still in the wrapper... Not a massive fan of flouro's, but this one is supposed to have a little stretch in it.... Reason I steer away from them most of the time, is that my waters have become so weedy over the years, flouros tend to sink right into the weed and resemble a washing line with weed hanging off it when you are into a fish. And , being stretched, they are a bit brittle imo for fishing in and around weed. Some guys I know use it in heavy breaking strains of 18-20lb to avoid cut offs, but, tbh, imo, a fish trailing 20lb flouro, if it does break off,... Isn't far off trailing lead core.

7 minutes ago, Highy said:

any 1 use any Korda lines...

I tend to rate Korda stuff but I'm not a huge fan of their lines.

8 minutes ago, Highy said:

Korda Carp Line...has the capabilities like the GTHD

They're nothing like each other buddy. The Carp Line is imo the best one Korda do, it's much thicker than the GT-HD for BS, stronger, better abrasion resistance, a work-horse carp line.

I use 15lb subline (Korda) mainly to satisfy syndi 0.4mm rule. It's very weedy & I have confidence in it, sinks like a brick, but can go springy. I always cut off 2-3 rod lengths, more if I've had a good scrap! 

I must admit though, it's pure laziness that I use it, as it's the only line in the local tackle shop, that meets the diameter rule. 

3 hours ago, commonly said:

but can go springy.

I must be the only bloke on the planet that's had this problem with the Gardner GT-HD, plus a lot of crinkling...…….. It gets rave reviews from some serious anglers, Nige Sharp for instance. But I just haven't gotten on with it...(Twice..lol.)…..

3 hours ago, commonly said:

I always cut off 2-3 rod lengths, more if I've had a good scrap! 

This is what I've had to do with the GT-HD...…. Pain in the butt at 3am when it's chucking down and you just want a quick re-cast, and unnecessary torch light on the bank, one of my pet hates.....🙂.

On 12/09/2018 at 14:22, B.C. said:

I must be the only bloke on the planet that's had this problem with the Gardner GT-HD, plus a lot of crinkling...…….. It gets rave reviews from some serious anglers, Nige Sharp for instance. But I just haven't gotten on with it...(Twice..lol.)…..

This is what I've had to do with the GT-HD...…. Pain in the butt at 3am when it's chucking down and you just want a quick re-cast, and unnecessary torch light on the bank, one of my pet hates.....🙂.

I’ve had mixed experiences with GT HD myself. I was using the 15lb early on this season and found it to be a lovely casting line that behaved well on the spool. But I discovered that it was prone to abrasion damage in weed and I suffered a couple of unexplained casting crack offs. Since switched to Korda Carp line in 15lb, think its .40 in diameter and a decent all rounder; been told by a couple of guys in the trade that it comes from the same factory as GR60 though I can’t confirm it.

For chucking I like the Gardner Light Blend in 10lb with a 50lb Powerpro braided leader and leads up to 4.5oz. Very impressed👍 

47 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve had mixed experiences with GT HD myself.

The first batch I had in 15lb maybe about 3 years ago and it just kept coiling up.... I remember there being some mega hot weather for a month or so and the only thing I could put it down to was leaving my spools exposed in the heat and sun... It deffo wasn't line twist as I took it on and off the spool a couple of times to try and sort it...…..

Second time round was in 12lb , cast brilliant, but , seemed to just crinkle at the slightest touch of weed etc...…...

I like Gardner as a company and their stuff pretty much does what it says on the tin in general imo without the usual marketing gimmiks chucked in by some firms....  I just haven't had great luck with the GTHD...…. Anything else I've had from them, has served me well...

On 11/09/2018 at 22:41, B.C. said:

I like the GR60, it's one I've gone back to a couple of times if I've ever strayed or been sucked in by the marketing on other gear..

That’s pretty much my story too mate, every so often I might try something that’s been recommended but, always revert to the GR60.

The GR60 doesn’t seem as readily available as it used to be though? I’m not a fan of braid or fluoro, so I do appreciate a decent mono. 👍🏻

8 hours ago, B.C. said:

I think the larger outlets are always trying to push newer products.... I get it from my local little shop, he's usually got a couple of spools in stock. or can get it within a week or so...

Yeah, at one time, I used to see it in most shops but, the last couple of times I’ve bought it the boxes have had a layer of dust on them, from two different shops lol! 

Edited by The Compleat Angler

I’m a Diawa Sensor in brown,been using it for many moons now and ticks all the boxes for my fishing. I use the 12 and 15lb and can’t see me changing soon. 

When I do use fluorocarbon it’s always been X line.

4 hours ago, The Compleat Angler said:

Yeah, at one time, I used to see it in most shops but, the last couple of times I’ve bought it the boxes have had a layer of dust on them, from two different shops lol! 

I'm always wary of old stock, but it is sunlight that weakens line, along with the stretching and abrading in the water. I used to change line religiously twice a year, my Sensor was being fragged on lilies, weed, (with snails and particles on the fronds), gravel and mussels, even buoy chains. 

This year I have had to replace line twice when boats caught it, blooming idiots sailing too close to the bank!