Running rig woes/getting done

Brutus

Guest Dez Animaux

I don't like rigs with the bait mounted on anything which can move too much and jingle jangle about. 

Far too easy for the bait to ''swing round'' and prevent the hook from hitting the target

Those type of rigs are just there to make more of your cash on little £4 packets

This is the rig I use and you can't argue with Darrel Peck he's a carp catching machine mate: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FcZvVGjDE

Also if you think you're being done try bigger hooks and longer hairs

And check your rig lengths accurately, I measure swivel to hook eye, others measure to bottom of bait, it's a good idea to keep 7 inches in mind and work one way or the other, I go longer but only as the silt is deep at my venue

Guest Dez Animaux

7 inches is an oft quoted rule of thumb hooklink length from hundreds of ''big name'' anglers I read and watched in the media over the years, and also a ''good starting point'' suggested by very many experienced anglers I know out on the banks over my own fishing experience, it is a length that works well too IMO, on a clean and firm lakebed

Each to their own but I use that on my Heli rigs and a bit longer on my silt rigs

On 16/10/2018 at 15:24, Dez Animaux said:

I don't like rigs with the bait mounted on anything which can move too much and jingle jangle about. 

Far too easy for the bait to ''swing round'' and prevent the hook from hitting the target

Those type of rigs are just there to make more of your cash on little £4 packets

This is the rig I use and you can't argue with Darrel Peck he's a carp catching machine mate: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FcZvVGjDE

Yeah, huge fan of this lad. Loves watercraft and simplicity.

I don't mind a basic rig, Just occasionally get the hair tangled, German rig, I get none of that. pitfalls and payoffs to both methods really.

I'll take you ideas on board mate, see if I can unlock anything else from there, might be a while as i'll be doing some river fishing and potentially Pike at other venues.

I will never put a swivel on my hook

What I didn't like when I looked at is the bait can fly around in front of the hook and obscure it. Hooking (or not) happens very fast indeed, and I do not want or need any doubt, that's why I stick with having the bait well below the hook and out of the way, traditional hair rig isn't broken and never will be

Load of nonsense ''angler catching'' going on with a lot of these flash name new rigs

You are getting ''done'' because your hair is too short

With most rigs I see people use, and having bailiffed that's a lot, they have a single bait touching the bottom of the hook, which with a 15mm bait is a hair of  about 0.5 inches..

They all need to triple that, as that is the reason they get done, get twitches, and also get hook pulls..

No angler catching here mate. German rig is as simple as to tie and use - I also find it quite versatile. Believe me, if it didn’t have a use, I simply wouldn’t be using it.

As for my hairs, usually a cm or half a cm gap from top of bait to bottom of hook. So well under the half inch.

ill give longer hairs a go, never had much faith in the longer hair as it’s always a dead cert for tangles. When I have used them, they always end up wrapped round the shank, how do you eliminate this? I’m guessing a small pva bag threaded on? Tying the longer hair to the hook bend with pva to stop it waving about?

I use pure braids, I dislike stiff rigs and that includes coated braids, they are only good for extreme distance casting in my opinion

I use long hairs all the time and don't get tangles

Have the hair exiting opposite the barb and use heavy, strong braid of 25lb minimum, I never use thin braids any more

No need for PVA unless you are worried about your hookpoint getting stuck in debris on the lake bed, in fact if you nugget the hook without dealing with the hair you are encouraging the hair to tangle as you're pushing it out at the wrong angle

7 hours ago, commonly said:

I wrap a PVA nugget round the hair & shank. Stocking with a few freebies on the hook gives a bit more weight, hit the clip or stop the line when you hit the water & the rig should never tangle! 

It isn't that simple, depends on the lead setup, hitting the clip with rotary rigs is the one thing guaranteed to tangle them for instance

I dislike PVA and only use it if I'm bringing in a lot of debris on my hook, nuggets are fragile and bags are faffy to tie with cold fingers, I also feel they suss pva often and avoid your rig, due to the taste or whatever

also all those nuggets and the sock will reduce your casting distance and make the hitting of your spots erratic, as well as put unnecessary pressure on your casting as you will have to dry the pva snot off the rig and do it all up again if you mis-cast!!

I'm not knocking pva too much, but ditching it does free you up quite a bit, just trust the setup and fizz it out there, easy peasy.. In practise if you have things set up right you rarely get issues, and little parcels of bait around the hook can definitely work against you

Match the hatch boilie fishing is delightfully simple, the rig casts beautifully and accurately without foam and clutter all over it, and besides if they want your bait they will find and pick up each one, there's no need to make your hookbait extra large with a load of horrible pellets and tuna and hemp all over the lakebed alongside it making it send a million danger signals

As I've said previously in this topic, people bang on about bait n plastic etc. not being environmentally friendly, yet we don't have so much to say about the amount of glue being thrown in to lakes every day of the year. 

Like a lot of rig bits, some one shows you, if it makes sense you apply it to your fishing. I'm not a long distance guy, quite comfy @10-12 wraps, if not under my rod tip. 

I now, only ever use freebies to match my hook bait, the stocking & single wrapped nugget are to ensure I get the desired presentation when I the rig & lead hit the bottom, ie. I haven't hooked a twig or dense Canadian weed. I guess it's a confidence thing, I wouldn't dream of not at least putting a nugget on to protect the hook point. 

Nuggets are too fragile to protect anything, they never stick together properly and often pop off straight away on impact with the water surface, they are only there as an anti tangle measure in reality, not as hookpoint protection. They are pretty horrible little things.

The only way to protect the hookpoint is by properly threading on a mesh bag of mini pellets and embedding the hook in it, but then you are limited in the rig you can use (as the loop knot it slides over needs to be small), need to use hooks with small eyes, and have to tie 500 of the fiddly little bags..

Best just cast out, as I said it is rare to get issues. I know of a number of anglers who have never used pva as they just hate faff and see it as too complicated, which it is

True enough, never used to use it. 

Sod pulling rigs through bags. I find the mesh is just an evolution of a stringer, & cos I can't arsed to tie them on. 

I use 1nugget wrap the hair to shank, lick it & fold it in both ends, over the hook, it tends to stay on for me which I know cos it can be almost a minute before it pops up. Takes seconds. 

I do take what you say about fish maybe tasting the glue trace though. I will experiment if ever get back on the bank 

Edited by commonly
Added to

Pva mesh bags make, (if you can be bothered and have paid the mortgage) a vaguely useful way of being a bit different and baiting up quietly at close to medium range with crumbed boilie and do not wish to use a revolting nod spod (nor wish to even ever own one of the ridiculous things)

Pva string belongs in the 80s and is next to useless apart from strengthening a rotten bottom for a big cast, unless you adore tangles and want to wrap it all over the place around your lead setup in flight

And nuggets and solid bags belong back in the glue factory..

Edited by Guest
Typo

4 hours ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

Pva mesh bags make, (if you can be bothered and have paid the mortgage) a vaguely useful way of being a bit different and baiting up quietly at close to medium range with crumbed boilie and do not wish to use a revolting nod spod (nor wish to even ever own one of the ridiculous things)

Pva string belongs in the 80s and is next to useless apart from strengthening a rotten bottom for a big cast, unless you adore tangles and want to wrap it all over the place around your lead setup in flight

And nuggets and solid bags belong back in the glue factory..

Pva string is extremely useful, especially if you fish double hookbaits. Put two boilies close together on string can confuse carp as the string between does not dissolve.

Put them in mesh and the baits can come apart.

On Nazeing I caught loads of fish on blooming great stringers of up to 30 baits at a time, and even better it was tangle free on my Kryston braided hooklinks and combi-links

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Pva string is extremely useful, especially if you fish double hookbaits. Put two boilies close together on string can confuse carp as the string between does not dissolve.

On Nazeing I caught loads of fish on blooming great stringers of up to 30 baits at a time, and even better it was tangle free on my Kryston braided hooklinks and combi-links

image.jpeg

And I thought stealth was dead..

Was there any water left after that landed, or carbon in your rod?

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

image.jpeg

What sort of distance could you get with that lot Nick?

4 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

What sort of distance could you get with that lot Nick?

About 60yards on my Century 2.75 NG's.

Still prefer those rods to my new ones, but they have now been promoted to pike fishing, slinging out big deadbaits on the reservoir or on the river.

I put about 30 stringers in in one hit from Bridge on Brackens, 10minutes later the rod roared off with one of the lakes most wanted, the Two Tone Linear at high 20's.

• 2 weeks later...

I read with interest the notion of using heavy leads in the margins on running rigs.... As an Old School lad, I often (more often than not) freeline in the margins, or sometimes use a small  lump of plasticine, or a couple of swan shot and fish slack lines and just watch the line where it enters the water... (no alarms or bobbins) now, that method may upset a few of the modern lads, (I can hear the cries of anguish even as I type....🤣) but it's accounted for quite a few carp for me... I suppose that everyone has their own method of catching, or different variations on a theme, but I have often found that if the accepted method is 'A' then I'll try 'Z' as (to my mind) if the fish get used to seeing a big lead (running or lead-clipped) and a boilie, they'll take a nice prawn or a trio of cockles or a couple of sultana's... Everyone has their own way of doing things and a lad I often fish with is always laughing at my methods, but the laughing stops when I put one in the net.... and if it gets him thinking then I'm happy...

For fishing out of the margins, I  use ultra light leads... (just enough to get the rig into place) for me it's a confidence thing I have seen a carp "Do Me" using a heavier lead and Jed Kent (whom I met a couple of years back) advocated ultra light running leads... I have refined that to my own preferences and use 1.5 oz Avid  flat  in-line leads  or Guru 1/3 or 2/3 ounce in lines and short method style hooklinks with small baits... often not on hairs... I suppose it's a case of something I was once told....

The Unorthodox Plus Perseverance Equals Results...

Give it a go👍😉😎