Rig tubing recomendations

Ive not used any rig tubing now for the last 10+ years and dont have even have any in my tackle box, prefering to use leadcore or more recentley lead free leaders. I am fishing a water next month that doesnt allow leaders of any kind. 

Im looking for a supple heavy sinking tube preferably with various colours not just one solid colour. 

Any recomendations guys.

Thanks Gary

39 minutes ago, gazmc said:

Ive not used any rig tubing now for the last 10+ years and dont have even have any in my tackle box, prefering to use leadcore or more recentley lead free leaders. I am fishing a water next month that doesnt allow leaders of any kind. 

Im looking for a supple heavy sinking tube preferably with various colours not just one solid colour. 

Any recomendations guys.

Thanks Gary

Tungsten Tubing from Either Korda or Gardener...both have 3 colours available in Silt Gravel & Weed (Angling Direct £6/7) each...

Edited by Highy

12 hours ago, gazmc said:

Any recomendations guys.

Easy...... Rig Marole Freefall Micro Braided Rig Tubing in brown.

It has stainless steel woven into it so it's pretty much as heavy as lead core. The brown blends into absolutely everything, as it's braided it takes on water and even silt, it just disappears. It comes in pre-cut lengths which sound expensive at first but as long as you don't crack off each length lasts around 18 months I've found, so it works out cheap. It's important to get the pre-cut lengths, they have a sheathe over each end to prevent fraying.

Like you I've been a leadcore man all my life. I started using this tubing due to a leader ban and even though the ban has been lifted now I'm not going back. It is that good!

4 hours ago, yonny said:

Easy...... Rig Marole Freefall Micro Braided Rig Tubing in brown.

It has stainless steel woven into it so it's pretty much as heavy as lead core. The brown blends into absolutely everything, as it's braided it takes on water and even silt, it just disappears. It comes in pre-cut lengths which sound expensive at first but as long as you don't crack off each length lasts around 18 months I've found, so it works out cheap. It's important to get the pre-cut lengths, they have a sheathe over each end to prevent fraying.

Like you I've been a leadcore man all my life. I started using this tubing due to a leader ban and even though the ban has been lifted now I'm not going back. It is that good!

Hi mate.... Does this stuff "ride up/down" the mainline at all ?...… Or does the stainless weave keep it from crinkling?...…. It could be the answer to my prayers. For years I've used the outer skin of lead core as tubing on leader free venues and also tried lead free leaders threaded up the line, which are both great for blending in, but tend to slip down the mainline on the retrieve or when playing fish and need sorting out a bit with each cast. A small pinch of putty helps, but isn't safe enough imo for beads to slide off safely, so can only really be fished with lead clips...… Does the sheath on this gear help to keep the tubing tucked snug under a buffer bead or similar for a heli set up?..... Is it quite supple?...…..Sorry to bombard you with a load of questions, but I very nearly pushed the "pay now button" lol..... Just thought I'd grill you a bit first 😃

I , too, find brown to be the best all round colour for 99% of lake beds. And I'm quite the fan of Rig Moral products.....

I did dabble with some Kudos tungsten tubing earlier in the season. It's really supple, but I found that once you went over 30cm in length, it could be a little difficult to thread...

Braided tubing imo, looks and feels more organic in the water. And not only will it take on silt to blend in better, but it will also take on liquid attractors pre cast, when dry. A little confidence boost, when fishing singles imo.

10 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Does this stuff "ride up/down" the mainline at all ?

No. The sheath sits in the tail rubber very tightly (can be tricky to push it in, in fact). Therefore as long as your tail rubber isn't coming off the clip, it'll stay exactly where you want it to. 

12 minutes ago, B.C. said:

does the stainless weave keep it from crinkling?

No crinkling, it's very robust, with a strong, almost elastic feel to it when stretched. No kinking either. It's solid stuff.

16 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Does the sheath on this gear help to keep the tubing tucked snug under a buffer bead or similar for a heli set up?

I've never used it on a heli set-up but as I mentioned the sheath can fit snugly into whatever you want. You'd need to check that any beads can pass over the sheath on the opposite end obviously bud.

18 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Is it quite supple?

It's reasonably supple. It's the weight that's the real strong point - it's so heavy it just sinks lightly into silt, weed etc.... 

21 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Braided tubing imo, looks and feels more organic in the water.

I agree mate.

I've shown a couple of anglers what this looks like in the margins on my water and they both went straight out an bought some. It's awesome bud.

18 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

I used to think that(not that I use tubing as you know) and use it as one of my many excuses not to like tubing. But then I thought about plastic baits!!!! 

I agree mate but some tubing really stinks of plastic.  So I avoid them .

Edited by chillfactor