September catch results..........................

smufter

On 21/09/2018 at 15:03, Highy said:

Whats at stake Viking ?? What does winner get...

Its more like what does the loser has to do! aha Basically we have a carp pillow that the loser of that session has to take a photo with and take home. It's judged on the total amount you've caught by weight. Whoever has the pillow by the end of the year, the first session together in 2019 will have to do the whole session kack handed, so left handed for both of us. just a bit of fun added to our sessions and helps with the banter :lol:

Unfortunately i didn't come out on top this session as he had 45lb in the "net" and i only had 32lb but i did finally catch a september carp! So that curse is finally broken! 

I'll post the photos now from my phone.

20180923_141119.thumb.jpg.56e9442481ae65e4b5e042ded0ae472a.jpg

I didn't put this in as wouldn't let me...

But as you can see...i caught the carp (that is not my rig) and the line i am holding up is still attached to a lead clip, rig and BARBED not micro hook well and truly lodged...i asked the guy next door to borrow his forceps and i treated with Propolis...

When they Gaffer/Bailiff/Owner came round i gave him a few chosen (some censored) words.

He took advice and is now stated that hooks will be checked regularly and if rule broken will lead to ban off the lake.

Mental session for me last week, although it started as a nightmare......

Part 1

I had 2 x 3 night session to play with. When I arrived I couldn't find much of anything to fish for so I headed for an area I know they love at this time of year. Didn't see much all day but put some bait in anyway ready for the night ahead. I set my alarm for 2am knowing they're probably showing after dark. Got up and spent all night staring across the pond looking for signs. By 06:30 I'd seen 2 carp in a swim across from me so I packed up and was on the move. by 08:00 I was in the new swim staring out, but not really feeling it. I went for a quick wander up and down the bank and you'll never guess what I find - carp head and shouldering on my spots from the previous night!!!

I run round with a bucket and they're going mental out there. I'm cursing myself for jumping the gun. I run back round to get my barrow (this is a half kilometre journey so I'm bloomin' knackered!) and start pushing, panicking that they're clearing my spot and I aint got a rod in the water. Half way round and my barrow fails - the wheel buckles, the steel joint bends and tears, it's a write off. I feel like giving it all up right there and then! I run round to the syndi hut and there's a beat up old barrow there so i grab that, un-load, re-load, and push that round. I get to the swim and there's three guys there watching the action. Carp smashing out all over the spot. They've seen one of the big commons too!!!! I unload the barrow and see I've bent the rings on all three rods where they've been crushed against the front of this new barrow. This is getting worse and worse.

I shoo the anglers out of the swim, wrap up, and fire a couple of rods out. I sit on my bed feeling sorry for myself as the carp do the off to my right. What a chance, completely ruined. I crack open a beer, drink it, and go to sleep in a really bad mood.

About 1 pm I wake up and open my eyes to see a carp top to my left. It's enough to get me out of the bed and on my toes. I whack a single where the carp showed and start to think that I need to get my act together. Forget abut the first 24 hrs, I still have 2 nights of my first session left. In the afternoon I load up my spots and get the rods out perfectly, confident the carp will be back come bite time. I don't see a lot but after yesterday that doesn't really bother me. That night, about 11pm I get a stuttery take which drops back. It's a tench...... bloomin' thing.... so I get the rod back out and off to bed. About 04:30 I get another stuttery take which drops back.... and I'm cursing this session as I get up to hit it. I reel, and reel..... and assume it's shaken the hook, nothing there..... until the rod is nearly ripped from my hands by some clever old carp which has clearly swam straight towards me. So the next 10 minutes is spent scrapping with what is clearly a very big carp. It's really heavy, and when I get it close to me the racket it makes as it sploshes about on the top suggests I've got one of the rel monsters. As it goes in the net I realise it's massive and I pray it's one of the 2 big commons I'm after.

The head torch goes on and the heart sinks, it's the lakes big mirror, and the 4th time I've landed it......

Now a mid 40 is gonna make me smile either way but I can't help but feel hard done by. I grab my mate from next door and we weigh her up quickly, 43.02, well down in weight, couple of shots, put her back. Get the rod out, back to bed. Yet another tenchy take sees me up at about 6am - very similar to before, it turns into a carp halfway through the retrieve. Mad scrap and I end up netting a 30+ common. It's a new one for me, very recognisable as it only has one barb. It's in mint condition and it cheers me up no end. Get some shots done, weighed at 30.08. Happy days.

The following day is spent with the rods in, looking around for signs of what they're up to during the days. I see hardly anything so think I might as well persevere with the swim I'm in. I pop to the shop to buy a new barrow (£170 quid, having a laugh!!) and rush back. I load the spots up and go to bed expecting action...... which doesn't come. By 8.00am I'm looking for sings, wondering whether a move might be on the cards, when the right hand rod rips off. I play it for ages until it scoots over to my left. I apply a little side strain and the hook pulls. Sod it.

By 11 am I'm thinking that this session was doomed from the off. Although I've had a 30 and a 40 I can't help but think that this decent session could have been a great session if it wasn't for my huge mistake on the first morning which led to a catalogue of errors. I go home for a night and think about what I saw, what I learned, and think I have to use that for the next 3 nights to make sure it's the GREAT session I want. I need to hit the ground running.... and I do..... Part 2 tomoz lads.

Part 2.....

So I show up about 2 pm. I'm convinced I know where the carp are after my first session so I head directly to the general area. The lake is quiet and despite my first choice swim being taken I have the choice of 3 others that have access to the general area. I sit and watch and can see the carp are active. I see fish in all three free swims - more so in one than the others (my bogey swim) but they're showing so close in I know I'd spook them out just setting up so I write that swim off. Of maybe 6 shows in total the biggest two are in front of a swim I know very well and the shows were right on the spot I like to fish. I put a rod together and chuck a lead out.... BANG.... it's hard like concrete, as clean as it's been all year, so I make my mind up to fish here.

I take my time setting up, getting everything right, wrapped up with fresh rigs all round. I spod a load of bait to my spot, at least 4 kg, and sit back to let it rest. The fish are still showing in my bogey swim, not 10 yards out from the margin, so I hatch a plan. I pop round to the swim and have a lead about. I aint fished it this year as I can't seem to catch carp from it, hence I don't know what it's like out there. I map the swim for future reference and a by-product of this is that the carp are pushed out...... towards my swim.... sneaky!

I get round to my swim and figure it's time to get the rods out. I cast them all to the same spot with maybe a yard between each hookbait. The spot has been rested for a while so I'm hoping for action sooner rather than later. Less than 2 minutes after they've been cast I start getting the odd bleep on all 3 rods. I figure it's the line settling so ignore it but it carries on. I get up and check the bobbins and there's no doubt, I'm getting liners on all of the rods! I look over at the spot and see two tenchy shows so start to worry I'm getting cleaned out by the tench. Ten minutes later I get a liner so savage on the right hand rod that I reckon I've been done by something. I hold back from recasting as it's clear there's something out there going crazy on my spot. I'm glad I waited as another 5 minutes passes and the right hand rod is away......

So I play and land this carp with the poor bloke next door, that's been there for two nights without action, looking on in disbelief lol. I know the fish, it's one I had a few weeks back that I put back without weighing thinking it was a scraper 20. Now in daylight I can see it's much bigger than that so I weigh it at 28 lb 4 oz (doh) and get some proper pukka photos (much better then my previous midnight blurry self takes lol). I put her back and get the rod back out. I top the spot up with 7 spods. What a start.... an upper twenty less than half hour after getting the rods out! I'm now rather excited for the 3 nights ahead!

I sit back and chill for a bit. The liners have stopped but I'm very confident I'm in the right place and expect them to be back. The sun goes down and I go to bed. At 11pm the middle rod rips off and I'm into the waders to play what feels like a big fish. It rucks, and takes the other rods out, but ditches the lines allowing me to land it without too many problems. It's a biggun, a very broad common, and if it had the girth to go with it I'd expect it to be 35+. It's clearly still a little spawned out however and it sounds about right when I weigh it at 32.02. It's a lovely dark colour and I get some lovely shots before placing her back and sorting all 3 rods out. After all the commotion I'm expecting it to be a while before the next bite. Back to bed.

3am and the left hand rod rips off. I'm on it in a shot and find myself wiping the sleep from my eyes as I play this carp around my swim. A spirited fight, I eventually land what looks to be a low 20, and a minter at that. It's a linear, in tip top condition, absolutely banging fish. With the fish resting in the net I set up my self take kit and do some practise shots to get them perfect. I then weigh the fish at 21.12 and get the photos done. Pukka.

I get the rods out and the rest of the night passes without action. I reckon I've been cleaned out. The wind really picks up the next morning, so much that baiting accurately is not an option, so I sit it out in hope more than anything. By 1 pm I'm bored so bring the rods in and go to the shop to stock up and bits and pieces i.e. beer lol. By the time I'm back and gone for a wander round the pit the wind is dropping so I take the chance to fill my spot in again. This time I put maybe 5 or 6 kg out, I don't want to get cleaned out again. I rest the swim, as before, and get the rods out late afternoon. Sun goes down and I'm chilling, almost ready for bed tbf, when at 9ish...... Bleeeeeeeeeeeep.......

So this carp runs me proper ragged, it's all over the show, back and forth, it's razzing around like a little stocky would, but it has the weight to back it up. It takes a long time to land it, every time I get it near the surface it powers off again and I get worried about the hook hold. Eventually I net it and see straight away why the fight was so brutal. It's a fish that is very well known as a fighter, it's tail is monstrous, literally 12 odd inches from lobe to lobe, a proper rudder if ever I saw one. The fish is big, a sparsely scaled mirror which is clearly carrying a bit of weight, broad and solid like a barrel. I grab matey from next door to give me a hand with this one. The fish is weighed at 34 lb 12 oz, a best weight for that fish as far as I'm aware, and a new one for me. I get some great photos and put it back, absolutely buzzing! Rods sorted, off to bed.

I get woken in the early hours for a tench which is not fun. I get the rod back out and back to bed. At about 05:30 I get the proper take I've been waiting for and have another battle with another big carp. In the net i recognise it, I did photos of this fish for a pal just after spawning. It's instantly recognisable as one of it's eyes is absolutely massive.... big and bulbous and bright yellow lol, what an odd deformity. It's an orangey-gold common and I'm sure it has a little ghosty in it. A very pretty fish (apart from it's bulging eye!!), it's weighed at 32 lb on the dot and we do pics as the sun comes up. What a great session so far. Rod goes back out, on goes the kettle.

By 9am I'm on my millionth cup of tea and feeling smug with my session when the middle rod goes. It's nice to have one in daylight so i take my time playing what turns out to be a stocky common of 18 lb+. Get some shots and put it back, what a lovely morning capture. As the wind picks up again I realise all three rods have done a carp on both my fist two nights. I sit it out until late in the day hoping the increase in baiting levels will extend my chances through the day. At 2pm the left hand rod rips off but by the time I've got my waders on it's dropped back. I hit it but there's nothing there, the lead's gone, I've been done. Gutted. In come the rods and I disappear, time for a KFC and a wander around the pit.

It's late by the time the wind has calmed enough to bait accurately and I'm spodding well into dark. I'm a little gutted at this as I'd had bites around this time the previous two nights. Still, I need to get it out somehow, so I just go for it and fill it in even more this time...... nearly 10kg I put out lol!! I'm knackered by the time I'm done so have an early night. I have to say the night ahead is not fun......

11 pm and I have a tench that wipes out all 3 rods. Nightmare. I get them back out as best I can.

1 am and I have a tench that wipes out all 3 rods. Nightmare. I get them back out as best I can.

4 am and I have a tench that wipes out all 3 rods. Nightmare. I get them back out as best I can.

At 5am I'm just dozing off again when my mate shows up after a night shift. He pops his head round the bivvy for a chat so I'm blabbing away telling him about my awful night when the middle rod absolutely screams off.......... defo not a tench! I hit it and it feels mega heavy, using its weight to hold bottom, and it takes me ages to land it. As it gets closer to the net I see it's a common and start getting excited that it might be one of my target fish, it's really wide across the shoulders. In the net I realise it's not, but I do know the fish, another new one fro me, and I'm well happy. It starts to rain heavily so I rest it in the net until it slows a little then do the do as quick as possible. The fish weighs 33 lb 12 oz, a proper golden chunk of a common, and the photos come out awesome.

Nothing happens for the rest of the morning so I start to pack up. I've had a brilliant time and certainly made up for the nightmare that was the first 3 night session. The two sessions together have seen my land a double, 2 x twenties, an incredible 5 x 30s, and the big mirror at 43+. I cannot complain about that and although I didn't get one of my target fish, the big commons (which ultimately were what I was after for those 2 sessions), I go home happy. As I write the big commons still haven't put in an appearance so there is a chance for me yet!!!!!

On 23/09/2018 at 19:09, Highy said:

Let me wen u do pal...live 30 seconds from it...

I'm going for a walk around Orrell water park tomorrow morning to have look at the place and see what it's like I'm thinking of maybe fishing it Monday. 👍

I've got another place in mind as well so I'll be having a look around there as well and then I'll make my mind up as to were to fish. 🎣😀

14 hours ago, finchey said:

I'm going for a walk around Orrell water park tomorrow morning to have look at the place and see what it's like I'm thinking of maybe fishing it Monday. 👍

I've got another place in mind as well so I'll be having a look around there as well and then I'll make my mind up as to were to fish. 🎣😀

I'll be there Sunday...ive become a member so fishing anytime for me for 12months.

2 hours ago, Highy said:

I'll be there Sunday...ive become a member so fishing anytime for me for 12months.

I had walk around this morning but there was no one fishing, there were a few fish bubbling but no movement. 

I might nip again tomorrow afternoon for another walk around and to say hello and see how you're getting on if that's OK. 👍

17 hours ago, finchey said:

I had walk around this morning but there was no one fishing, there were a few fish bubbling but no movement. 

I might nip again tomorrow afternoon for another walk around and to say hello and see how you're getting on if that's OK. 👍

Don't know if I'll make it today mate I had a really bad night shift. And no sleep yesterday either. 

I need to get some sleep. 😴😴

On Friday the Mrs and I were expecting friends round for dinner. When the bloke had to cancel (so only she could come), and with the Mrs going out with another bird on Saturday night, I thought I'd be cheeky and ask if I could go fishing. She said yes!!!!

So I legged it down to the lake. It was quiet when I arrived so I headed straight to the area that's been doing me so many fish recently. Incredibly in the second swim I walked into I saw 5 carp within half an hour. Job done, off to get my kit. Set up, taking it easy, not seeing much, but I am sure they're there. As the sun goes down I see lots of tench activity but absolutely nothing in the way of carp, so I begin to wonder if I made the wrong decision. I'm expecting tench through the night based on what I've seen, but I wake up on Saturday without having had a bleep!

I see nothing all morning then between 11 am and midday see just a couple of carp in the general vicinity. Not great. I bring the rods in and go for a walk. I find plenty of carp, and it's clear I'm in the wrong area. There's no move on the cards, it's now rammed. I have a quick lead about in an empty swim near(ish) a few carp but nothing excites me so I go back to my swim. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm looking at my first blank in a while but I have another night so anything is possible. I bait up again, convinced that the tench must have cleared some from the previous day.

The afternoons entertainment is provided by a hot air balloon that crashes directly opposite me over the back of the lake. A full on crash, and I feel much less of an evil sod for chuckling at it when I hear everyone is OK. As the sun goes down I see LOADS of tench, and I'm just hoping there's a carp or two out there that prefer to hang around with tincas.

At 2 am I'm woken to land a tench which normally would do my head in but in this case I'm glad there's at least some activity on my spot. The rod goes back out fine and I go back to bed clutching at straws, thinking that every time I've caught tench this year a carp has normally followed. The sun comes up and I see one possible carp off the back of my baited area but that's it. One bloomin' "maybe" for all my efforts.

By 9 am I'm sitting in the next swim down chatting to my mate, he's in the same boat as me, nothing happening in front of us but we have a good view of the carp from here (they're nutting out a couple of hundred yards away). We're just discussing how wrong we got the swim choice when my receiver lets out a single bleep. "Tench" we say simultaneously. I get up to check it out and a few paces towards my swim the receiver lets out its full cry. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeee........... and the walk turns into a rather panicked run!

I get to the swim and for a second I'm just staring at the rod and the spinning spool, this take has come from nowhere, and I'm flabbergasted tbh. I realise I'm still holding a half rolled roll-up from the swim I was sitting in, which kinds of reminds me I'm not reacting to this take appropriately lol. I throw the roll-up down and hit the rod pronto, there is no doubt it's a carp, and I cannot believe my luck. Matey joins me, he can't believe it either, it was looking dead out there! I shuffle the waders on and get out in the pond to meet this carp.

As it gets closer I see it's a lovely common, a pale one, and I realise it's one of the two ghosty commons that reside in the lake. I had one not long ago so pretty sure this is the other. It scraps well and I still can't believe what's just happened when it goes in the net. It looks pukka sitting in that net, bolt upright, pecs splayed, it looks like an aeroplane sitting there!! It's not massive, but it's not small, and I'm thinking I might have just fluked a 30 pounder right at the death. We get her out and weigh here at 30 lb 4 oz and I let out a little "woo-hoo"....... what a result under the circumstances! The fish is in incredible condition, looking really, really good, and the pics come out well.

Now I will be the first to admit that this capture was more about luck than judgement, but I'll take it either way. My fishing has been going so well recently, I was 100% convinced my run of form had come to an end. However - I'd rather be lucky than good, so with another biggun under my belt I go home a very, very happy angler. Buzzing.

***P.S......... FYI - Last week I picked up some of those new Korda Kamakura Krank hooks, just to check them out. I chucked the sharpest out on a rig on the last night of my last session and it did a biggun. This session I chucked one out and it caught this weeks fish. Both fish were absolutely nailed, perfectly, dead centre of the bottom lip, a couple of inches back. Now I'm not a huge fan of Korda hooks but I can't ignore the result so far. They do need some sharpening work out of the packet (they arrive only sharpened on one plane (from above, opposite the barb). You therefore have to touch up the sides yourself but it only takes a few seconds. At this point, I'd recommend them.