September catch results..........................

smufter

September is such a good month I’m hoping we some real corkers in here! 

I was tagged in a post on Facebook the other day of anglers who will beat their pb this month... now the name viktor never comes up on anything. Let alone spelt with a K too... so I got a little excited that the carp gods may be looking down on me and im going to put the extra effort in for sure. 

Trouble is, I don’t know what the lake I’m fishing holds, or where they are as no amount of looking or baiting has sussed that one out! 

I haven’t been near my local water for 3months 🙄🙄 Due to work (as alwlays) and trying out new waters on a club book I got this year. So I’ve decide to try and bank a few from the local,I’ve had a good summer chasing other species but think it’s time to put my ‘carp’ head on so to speak....... back to my local to have a few 🎣🎣🎣

6 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

I haven’t been near my local water for 3months 🙄🙄 Due to work (as alwlays) and trying out new waters on a club book I got this year. So I’ve decide to try and bank a few from the local,I’ve had a good summer chasing other species but think it’s time to put my ‘carp’ head on so to speak....... back to my local to have a few 🎣🎣🎣

Apart from the French social mate I've done absolutely no fishing this year or last year come to think of it . Syndi renewal coming up too so need to make my mind up what to do in regards to that. Been some rule changes that I'm not to happy with, which might see me drop out of it.

Might get a few hours in next week as I'm working at the duke of Westminster's estate de- silting one of the lakes,  there are others on the estate which apparently hold fish , so going to take some kit in the hope I get to wet a line at some point during the week .

Good luck all for the month ahead 😎

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Apart from the French social mate I've done absolutely no fishing this year or last year come to think of it . Syndi renewal coming up too so need to make my mind up what to do in regards to that. Been some rule changes that I'm not to happy with, which might see me drop out of it.

Might get a few hours in next week as I'm working at the duke of Westminster's estate de- silting one of the lakes,  there are others on the estate which apparently hold fish , so going to take some kit in the hope I get to wet a line at some point during the week .

Good luck all for the month ahead 😎

Work gets in the way of so much fun,Phil. 😩😩

Good luck on the estate,mate. 😎🎣

I stopped off at the lake on my way home from work on Tuesday. 

Found some bubbling away on my prebaited spot, so grabbed a rod out the van and chucked one out. 

Within 30 minutes of driving through the gate, I had found some fish, caught one, packed back up, done my walk around and drove back out!! 

3C21468A-9654-47E4-85FB-31EE1C4A8B97.jpeg

On 06/09/2018 at 20:42, nigewoodcock said:

I stopped off at the lake on my way home from work on Tuesday. 

Found some bubbling away on my prebaited spot, so grabbed a rod out the van and chucked one out. 

Within 30 minutes of driving through the gate, I had found some fish, caught one, packed back up, done my walk around and drove back out!! 

3C21468A-9654-47E4-85FB-31EE1C4A8B97.jpeg

Cracker mate 😎

On Saturday I managed to get out for an impromptu overnighter which turned out to be a right laugh.

Drove down to my syndi on Sat afternoon, mainly to say hello/congratulate a mate who landed something very special on Friday. Wasn't too excited tbh as I was convinced on the busiest night of the week there'd be no chance I'd get on fish. Had a wander round and couldn't find much to fish for, not looking good. Was chatting to a fellow member and saw a lovely big common nut out in the swim next to him. I had a quick peek down the bank and matey in the swim had his stuff on his barrow. Legged it down there, had a chat, he's just leaving. Result - and I'm in a good mood all of a sudden.

I wait for matey to leave and get my gear round there sharpish. I know the swim well and have an area in mind, not far from where the common showed. Out comes the spod and I load it up..... 4 or 5 kg on the deck which might sound a little excessive for an overnighter but for some reason I'm thinking they're gonna get right on it. With the baiting done I go and see my mate way over the other side to congratulate him on his capture. We chill out and have a beer and he points out where my spot is from here. Over the next hour we see a number of carp directly between us and it's looking promising. Eventually I see one show quite close to my spot which is the sign it's time to get back to my swim. The rods are already baited/clipped up ready to go. Just as the light is fading, out they go - plop, plop, plop.

I chat to a mate in the next swim and don't really see much so I end up getting an early night. At about 1 am I get up for a wee and have a quick cuppa just to listen for carp when the lake is at it's quietest. Over the course of an hour I hear several fish breaking the surface. It's tricky to tell where they are but they can't be that far away so now I'm mega, mega confident. Back to bed.

As we approach dawn I'm woken by a liner on the middle rod. I turn on my side and watch intently as the sun prepares to breach the horizon. Ten minutes later and I get a tiny drop back, again on the middle rod. I'm out of the bag and just putting my waders on when it absolutely rips off. Game on. The fight is immense, a proper tug-of-war with the fish kiting left, right, all over the place. It takes me a long time to get it anywhere near me but when I do I see it's quite a big fish, so I turn the head torch on for netting, don't want to screw this one up. As it surfaces I see it's a big grey common and I'm pretty sure I know which one. It goes over the cord and into the folds and I have a better look at it, it is indeed the one I thought.

I secure the net, get the rod back out and make a cup of tea and a roll up. I look over at the spot and a carp sticks its head out bang on the money, this is looking awesome. Then the right hand rod rips off! I get the waders back on but by the time I get to the rod (literally 5 or 10 seconds) the bobbin has dropped back and is swinging in the wind. I hit it and there's nothing there, no carp, no lead, just a rig. I've been well and truly done, big time. I still have 2 rods on the spot so leave this one out for now.

Matey from next door pops over to do the photos of the common and it's weighed at 33 lb, not quite as big as I expected but I'm certainly not complaining. It's an unusual colour for a Nene Valley common, all silvers and greys. The length is impressive but you can tell there's room in the belly for several more pounds at the right time of year. We put her back and I relax, happy that I've caught a big old common, but annoyed about the missed take. With the rods on the right and in the middle having been picked up I'm now thinking how awesome it would be if the left hand rod did a bite.

An hour later and I haven't seen much but I'm still confident. Matey from next door is with me and we're drinking tea and chatting when the left hand rod let's out a bleep. I walk over to it and there's a tiny drop back, similar to the first take. There's then a tiny lift, so I stare intensely at the rod tip. I see it nod once and the line lifts slightly as it enters the water. That'll do me i think as I lift the rod and bend into what is clearly a fish. Not just any fish either, as the resistance on the end of the line suggests it's another decent carp. This fight is completely different, it doesn't really want to do anything other than just stay put some 60 yards away, almost like it's locked up in weed but it's not. Eventually I get it moving and it head over to my right and I begin to get worried it's heading for a snag I'm aware of. I clamp down and turn it and it goes through my other lines. Luckily my buddy is on hand to lift, lower, and weave the rods around, and eventually I net the fish.

I recognise the fish, a long sparsely scaled mirror with a pretty little birth mark on its shoulder. I've seen pics of this carp before and have to say I'd not really been too fussed with it, I thought it looked a bit plain, but now it's in the net I'm absolutely blown away by its INCREDIBLE colour! We get her out and the colour and condition of this fish is just mental, its back is a rich dark brown, like a conker, and its flanks are a ruby red wooden/copper colour. It is in absolutely perfect nick, like a brand new penny, it's long and lean and just about as pukka as carp come. We weigh the fish at 31.08 and get some really nice photos before putting it back and watching it swim away strongly. What a result.

By now it's gone 8 am. I'm hoping for one more bite but I'm pretty sure I've been cleaned out and they've down the off. I pack up with a big old smile on my face and am in a great mood on the drive home. Overnighters can be hard work when you can't get on fish or worse, have to leave when you're on fish at bite time. A brace of thirties reminds why I do them though - sometimes you just have to keep the faith.

I have a proper session this weekend and I'm buzzing for it!

12 hours ago, yonny said:

On Saturday I managed to get out for an impromptu overnighter which turned out to be a right laugh.

Drove down to my syndi on Sat afternoon, mainly to say hello/congratulate a mate who landed something very special on Friday. Wasn't too excited tbh as I was convinced on the busiest night of the week there'd be no chance I'd get on fish. Had a wander round and couldn't find much to fish for, not looking good. Was chatting to a fellow member and saw a lovely big common nut out in the swim next to him. I had a quick peek down the bank and matey in the swim had his stuff on his barrow. Legged it down there, had a chat, he's just leaving. Result - and I'm in a good mood all of a sudden.

I wait for matey to leave and get my gear round there sharpish. I know the swim well and have an area in mind, not far from where the common showed. Out comes the spod and I load it up..... 4 or 5 kg on the deck which might sound a little excessive for an overnighter but for some reason I'm thinking they're gonna get right on it. With the baiting done I go and see my mate way over the other side to congratulate him on his capture. We chill out and have a beer and he points out where my spot is from here. Over the next hour we see a number of carp directly between us and it's looking promising. Eventually I see one show quite close to my spot which is the sign it's time to get back to my swim. The rods are already baited/clipped up ready to go. Just as the light is fading, out they go - plop, plop, plop.

I chat to a mate in the next swim and don't really see much so I end up getting an early night. At about 1 am I get up for a wee and have a quick cuppa just to listen for carp when the lake is at it's quietest. Over the course of an hour I hear several fish breaking the surface. It's tricky to tell where they are but they can't be that far away so now I'm mega, mega confident. Back to bed.

As we approach dawn I'm woken by a liner on the middle rod. I turn on my side and watch intently as the sun prepares to breach the horizon. Ten minutes later and I get a tiny drop back, again on the middle rod. I'm out of the bag and just putting my waders on when it absolutely rips off. Game on. The fight is immense, a proper tug-of-war with the fish kiting left, right, all over the place. It takes me a long time to get it anywhere near me but when I do I see it's quite a big fish, so I turn the head torch on for netting, don't want to screw this one up. As it surfaces I see it's a big grey common and I'm pretty sure I know which one. It goes over the cord and into the folds and I have a better look at it, it is indeed the one I thought.

I secure the net, get the rod back out and make a cup of tea and a roll up. I look over at the spot and a carp sticks its head out bang on the money, this is looking awesome. Then the right hand rod rips off! I get the waders back on but by the time I get to the rod (literally 5 or 10 seconds) the bobbin has dropped back and is swinging in the wind. I hit it and there's nothing there, no carp, no lead, just a rig. I've been well and truly done, big time. I still have 2 rods on the spot so leave this one out for now.

Matey from next door pops over to do the photos of the common and it's weighed at 33 lb, not quite as big as I expected but I'm certainly not complaining. It's an unusual colour for a Nene Valley common, all silvers and greys. The length is impressive but you can tell there's room in the belly for several more pounds at the right time of year. We put her back and I relax, happy that I've caught a big old common, but annoyed about the missed take. With the rods on the right and in the middle having been picked up I'm now thinking how awesome it would be if the left hand rod did a bite.

An hour later and I haven't seen much but I'm still confident. Matey from next door is with me and we're drinking tea and chatting when the left hand rod let's out a bleep. I walk over to it and there's a tiny drop back, similar to the first take. There's then a tiny lift, so I stare intensely at the rod tip. I see it nod once and the line lifts slightly as it enters the water. That'll do me i think as I lift the rod and bend into what is clearly a fish. Not just any fish either, as the resistance on the end of the line suggests it's another decent carp. This fight is completely different, it doesn't really want to do anything other than just stay put some 60 yards away, almost like it's locked up in weed but it's not. Eventually I get it moving and it head over to my right and I begin to get worried it's heading for a snag I'm aware of. I clamp down and turn it and it goes through my other lines. Luckily my buddy is on hand to lift, lower, and weave the rods around, and eventually I net the fish.

I recognise the fish, a long sparsely scaled mirror with a pretty little birth mark on its shoulder. I've seen pics of this carp before and have to say I'd not really been too fussed with it, I thought it looked a bit plain, but now it's in the net I'm absolutely blown away by its INCREDIBLE colour! We get her out and the colour and condition of this fish is just mental, its back is a rich dark brown, like a conker, and its flanks are a ruby red wooden/copper colour. It is in absolutely perfect nick, like a brand new penny, it's long and lean and just about as pukka as carp come. We weigh the fish at 31.08 and get some really nice photos before putting it back and watching it swim away strongly. What a result.

By now it's gone 8 am. I'm hoping for one more bite but I'm pretty sure I've been cleaned out and they've down the off. I pack up with a big old smile on my face and am in a great mood on the drive home. Overnighters can be hard work when you can't get on fish or worse, have to leave when you're on fish at bite time. A brace of thirties reminds why I do them though - sometimes you just have to keep the faith.

I have a proper session this weekend and I'm buzzing for it!

Awesome mate .... buzzing just reading it , let alone being there 🤘😎

30 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Good to see you back catching and posting Mate😀😉

I know it's been quite a while lol. Hope your well. I took up match fishing again and then the last 2 years got back into carp fishing again. Don't get out as much as I'd like to due to family commitments etc.