Books

PandA698

I saw the library thread and it got my thinking that taking a book to read while fishing might not be a bad idea. I am thinking of a fishing/carp but I won't spend a fortune as in all honesty I hate reading. I have never fully read a book in my adult life so it would need to be decent. Any suggestion would be great. No more than £8/10 maximum please.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, hutch said:

Stretch your budget a little and read this. probably one of the most inspirational carp books you will pick up

http://www.littleegretpress.com/index.php?action=viewbook&id=162

Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep an eye out for one.

21 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

As hutch has said stretch the budget a touch and you’ll find it easier to get some recommendations. And at worse you can sell them on and probably get a decent price on the resale 

I did think about reselling it so that could be alright. I guess even if it costs me £5 to read it then it wouldn't be too bad at all. Thanks

8 hours ago, PandA698 said:

I saw the library thread and it got my thinking that taking a book to read while fishing might not be a bad idea. I am thinking of a fishing/carp but I won't spend a fortune as in all honesty I hate reading. I have never fully read a book in my adult life so it would need to be decent. Any suggestion would be great. No more than £8/10 maximum please.

Thanks

I've got a pretty short attention span and reading a book cover to cover, well, hardly ever happens...… Hutches recommendation Carp Strikes Back, I found and easy read as each chapter is a tale in it's self, quite a light read, very funny in places and also very informative on the fishing front, without being instructional. Currently reading for the second time and picked my copy up off ebay, paper back, brand new for a tenner (original !st edition copies in good nick cost a bomb). But re prints  are more affordable...….. If you really want to treat yourself, then, by far the best carp angling book I've read is Terry Hearns first book, In Pursuit of the Largest... Had me rivetted from start to finish, several times, just for the sheer adventure of it, and like I say, I'm not great at finishing books...….. Not sure what they go for now, about 30 brand new, but well worth paying 20 for a used one if you see one....

Sorry, I know it's over budget, but well worth it imo..

Edited by B.C.

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

I've got a pretty short attention span and reading a book cover to cover, well, hardly ever happens...… Hutches recommendation Carp Strikes Back, I found and easy read as each chapter is a tale in it's self, quite a light read, very funny in places and also very informative on the fishing front, without being instructional. Currently reading for the second time and picked my copy up off ebay, paper back, brand new for a tenner (original !st edition copies in good nick cost a bomb). But re prints  are more affordable...….. If you really want to treat yourself, then, by far the best carp angling book I've read is Terry Hearns first book, In Pursuit of the Largest... Had me rivetted from start to finish, several times, just for the sheer adventure of it, and like I say, I'm not great at finishing books...….. Not sure what they go for now, about 30 brand new, but well worth paying 20 for a used one if you see one....

Sorry, I know it's over budget, but well worth it imo..

I will have a look about. I said to the wife I am thinking of buying a book to take fishing and said laughed and said "well that's a waste of money, you hate reading" which is true so I can't condone spending loads, I would probably read 2 pages and put it down. I will keep an eye out for books definitely though.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, greekskii said:

have a look at the chunkon mags. they are only a few quid each. short but compelling stories and some banging pictures in there too. 

I'm not a massive fan of reading, but put a carp book in front of me and i'll read it front to back before putting it down! 

I will have a look for them. They sound more like my kind of thing. I think when I think of reading it needs a similar layout to that of a book aged at pre school kids lol

12 minutes ago, yonny said:

Same here, although I never read when I'm fishing. I'm busy fishing lol.

Haha, I am hoping this will be the case for me too!

• 1 month later...
On 02/09/2018 at 21:00, PandA698 said:

Thanks

Hi Mate,

Join your local library (if you have one!) then you can order any carp fishing title you fancy and read it for free. They may not have what you want on the shelf but all libraries allow you to order in a book. Just go in with a book title or author. You may have to wait a week or two for it to be delivered to your library.

check out the book review section on this forum for ideas...

i've read numerous carp books and without a doubt Micky Grays first book is the best i've read by a mile. had me in stitches and at a point a lump in my throat and knowing some of the anglers mentioned within i know its not been air brushed. what is  written is exactly what happened and knowing and having fished a long side some top anglers and read their books some are not quite true to their word.

On 10/11/2018 at 09:10, emmcee said:

without a doubt Micky Grays first book is the best i've read by a mile.

Agree, it's a real good'n. I liked his second one too.

To the OP:

Oz Holness' book is really good. Darrel Peck's is better than I thought it would be too, brutally honest in parts.

A quick fix for inspirational stories is Forgotten Chapters by Gaz Fareham. It's basically a bunch of guest chapters about special captures. Really, really good.

However, 8-10 quid won't get you these👎

@emmcee There's a chapter about Dinton in Forgotten Chapters and there's a pic of a bloke with an awesome 44 lb mirror. Unless I'm mistaken. is that you????

On 10 November 2018 at 09:10, emmcee said:

i've read numerous carp books and without a doubt Micky Grays first book is the best i've read by a mile. had me in stitches and at a point a lump in my throat and knowing some of the anglers mentioned within i know its not been air brushed. what is  written is exactly what happened and knowing and having fished a long side some top anglers and read their books some are not quite true to their word.

I have this book i wanna read it but i need to find a reading copy 

On 12/11/2018 at 08:31, yonny said:

Agree, it's a real good'n. I liked his second one too.

To the OP:

Oz Holness' book is really good. Darrel Peck's is better than I thought it would be too, brutally honest in parts.

A quick fix for inspirational stories is Forgotten Chapters by Gaz Fareham. It's basically a bunch of guest chapters about special captures. Really, really good.

However, 8-10 quid won't get you these👎

@emmcee There's a chapter about Dinton in Forgotten Chapters and there's a pic of a bloke with an awesome 44 lb mirror. Unless I'm mistaken. is that you????

yes mate that is me. that was when i had my really good winter. jim who wrote the chapter took the pictures that morning, didnt know he had put it into the piece until he told me and kit was printed. not that im bothered.