Bait "sprays".......your thoughts???

smufter

A useful addition to your tackle bag, or snake oil??
Not talking about "glugs" here, but the actual flavoured/scented sprays for single hookbaits.

I have a couple of different "flavours" in my bag, ("coconut blitz" and "white chocolate").
I tend to use them by spraying them on my hands after I've had a cigarette or eaten something particularly pungent to try to help mask any unwanted smells when baiting up. 
Do you reckon they help with "boosting" a baits attraction though???
Surely they are going to wash off within 5 minutes of being in the water??

Edited by smufter

Imho..... snake oil Rob, all day.

I don't think it'll be on the bait as it hits the deck, let alone after 5 mins. I'll only use liquids if I can leave to soak for a period. A brief coating just comes off instantly on the way down. The sprays have zero viscosity so they're even worse.

On top of that.... flavour does not give off a food signal so it cannot boost a bait. It is purely for palatability.

That's my belief anyway.

8 minutes ago, yonny said:

Imho..... snake oil Rob, all day.

I don't think it'll be on the bait as it hits the deck, let alone after 5 mins. I'll only use liquids if I can leave to soak for a period. A brief coating just comes off instantly on the way down. The sprays have zero viscosity so they're even worse.

On top of that.... flavour does not give off a food signal so it cannot boost a bait. It is purely for palatability.

That's my belief anyway.

That's what I thought Yonny. 

As I say, I tend to spray some on my hands just to mask any smell of nicotine that sort of thing.

As the Tesco Ad says................ "every little helps"

😉

7 minutes ago, Ginger9991 said:

would the fish react to it?

Doubtful imo.

I just went online to find out what it actually is i.e. what does the spray contain. The websites for the first 4 I found (Hinders, Proper Carp Baits, Uberbaits, Nash) don't tell you anything at all. Now I seriously doubt it's neat ethyl alcohol flavour, it'd repel the carp, so I'm thinking it has to be watered down. So basically you're likely paying for flavoured water, to spray on your bait and chuck in some more water lol.

Maybe there's a slight pH change from the flavour which could serve as an investigation trigger but imo it couldn't possibly last more than a few seconds.

1 minute ago, yonny said:

Doubtful imo.

I just went online to find out what it actually is i.e. what does the spray contain. The websites for the first 4 I found (Hinders, Proper Carp Baits, Uberbaits, Nash) don't tell you anything at all. Now I seriously doubt it's neat ethyl alcohol flavour, it'd repel the carp, so I'm thinking it has to be watered down. So basically you're likely paying for flavoured water, to spray on your bait and chuck in some more water lol.

Maybe there's a slight pH change from the flavour which could serve as an investigation trigger but imo it couldn't possibly last more than a few seconds.

Nah i wouldnt have thought so either but thats the only way of telling if this spray actaully does anything, I dont use spray and if im using dips or gluggs then my bait has been in it for an extended period of time not just a dip and chuck.

If the sprays do nothing I'd be surprised, one of the Nash bug spray smells just like squid boilie flavour, I'd confidently say it is just that, but could be wrong.  Nah

Does it do anything, well the zigs still stink when they come back in maybe 12 hours later and all my zig bugs still stink years later.

Squid's a strong smell it lingers fact.

I'm more confident on a sprayed zig than I would be using plain unflavoured foam.

I use sprays on my hookbaits, namely pop ups. I keep topping them up and letting them dry in the pot before repeating. I fish silty meres mainly and I want the hookbaits to have absorbed all they can before going out. This should help them becoming tainted by the silt. 

My zig baits are kept in a solution of neat thaumatin b mixed with water, 50:50. 

These still have that sweet taste even after being out for over 24 hours. 

I dont beleive they are a gimmick, if used in a benificial way😘

The sprays I have are not too watery, in fact they are quite thick and sticky.

I know if I spray some on my hands it takes quite a bit of time for the smell to disappear.

I have sprayed them on bait before, wafters and pop ups, but haven't noticed any increase in interest at all.

7 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

I keep topping them up and letting them dry in the pot before repeating.

My zig baits are kept in a solution of neat thaumatin b mixed with water, 50:50. 

See that is wise imo. Using it to create a benefit. Which I don't think a quick spray is.

I'm not sure about all bait companies, but the spray from the company I use is exactly the same liquid they use to flavor their pop-ups and wafters. I just spray the whole tub of baits once or twice at the beginning of each session, then if I re-use a bait I spray it and let it soak for a minute or two and re-cast. It's especially useful in stinky silt

I ran out of talin  a while back and wanted a sweet soak. My local AD suggested the CC Moore stuff, Aqua Sweet, a talin based liquid food. I've been using it to soak buoyant toppers in...… I know CC get a bit of stick for their products, but this was the only Talin based product the AD branch had in at the time, so I went for it...

It's potent stuff and ultra sweet a couple of squirts into a small bag with a few bits in is enough to coat everything., so even at £10 plus it should last a while...….. I used these toppers on my last session and got a consistent result. Too early to tell if it was soley down to the sweet toppers, but certainly a confidence boost and a sweet option compared to my usual fishy/spicy baits...……..

I have little faith in flavours, but liquid foods are a different thing altogether. If I were to use a spray of any kind, I'd like to know what's in it, if it's just a thinned out flavour then I wouldn't bother...… You can buy a litre of hydro for a tenner and probably dilute it at 10 to one with water to give a decent foody soak or coating. I'm more confident with these sort of additives.... Each to their own though, some people swear by flavours......https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/cc-moore-talin

Edited by B.C.

I'm off out later on a 24. Gave my tub of Cell Wafters a few squirts of the "Coconut Blitz" yesterday afternoon, they smell absolutely gorgeous this morning, good enough to eat in fact.
This particular spray has quite a thick consistency, a bit like golden syrup, (it doesn't so much spray, more like dribbles out!). If nothing else it will have them acting like wafters, rather than pop ups (as they tend to do, even with a size 4 attached lol!!)
One of those on one rod, Crofties Coconuts on the other two. I'd be surprised if I don't clean up.......😀😀😀😉😉

Edited by smufter

Do any flavours actually make a difference, let alone sprays? I used a bait a few years back, along with four other anglers on a couple of waters. The bait had no added flavour or colouring, other than it’s ingredients. It caught a lot of fish for all of us that were using it. I know in the depths of winter, a single hook bait doesn’t suffer from an added attractor or booster etc but, are they really needed? Unflavoured plastic or foam, single hook baits catch plenty of fish, so why add anything?

Personally, I think it’s all part of the things we do to boost our confidence. You can have anglers using a nice fresh bait, with the best of ingredients and attractors, and putting that bait to good use, and often reaping the rewards. On the other hand, you have certain anglers using much cheaper, and often inferior bait, and not putting it to good use as such, yet they still catch.

I’ve seen anglers turn up late for a session, pushed for time trying to beat darkness, and they’ve pulled the rods out of the holdall, along with the baited rigs from their last session, mouldy boilie etc, cast out, and often they will catch lol! Do we put too much emphasis on bait?

I like to offer the fish the best I possibly can in regards to bait, and use the skills and watercraft that I’ve learned to try and up my chances, and I would imagine the majority of anglers do too. However, many don’t yet they don’t do too badly as a consequence. It makes you wonder doesn’t it? Well it certainly makes me think.

• 1 year later...

it would be interesting to know exactly what's in a spray, obviously the relevant flavouring, but what else, it would probably be more cost effective to buy a bottle of the flavouring and use a very small amount of it. Isn't that what came with the original dynamite baits pop ups Frank Warwick put his name to, i think with high attract singles people need to turn the thinking on its head, and either put no flavouring in them, or still use the flavouring but use darker and more natural colours, visually fish tend pick them out better, like the black foam people use for zig's.

I now always tend to give my Boilies a "Spray" every other day and let air dry.

Sticky Pineapple & Butyric..Mainline Pink Almond..Sticky Manilla.

But now I'm running out of my Manilla spray....I have the thicker Glug....what's Reckon to 100ml Hot Water to about 5/10ml of THICK Glug...think it would be right consistency to spray out ??

Edited by Highy

41 minutes ago, yonny said:

I'm sure the consistency should be fine but you need to consider what's in the glug mate. If it's aminos you'll kill them with hot water.

using a blend of liquid food products, an exclusive peanut protein and Madagascan vanilla extract,
With no synthetic chemicals or flavours added.

A natural liquid with a combination of highly soluble liquid foods as well as salts and sugars.

This Peanut protein is blended with other nut flours, along with a complex selection of milk proteins. The attractor package is a pungent creamy vanilla, which is produced by a pure Madagascan Vanilla (Manilla) extract that actually contains real Vanilla beans.

"A few statements"...

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is about "Sprays" but seen a few of these videos...

This is like a Chilli Zest....but if a change the Chilli to a STRONG smelling nut (Tiger, Peanut,Cashew) recommendations ? and the colour from Pink to Yellow ? Reckon I would have a good Nutty Sauce/Dip/Goo ???

24 minutes ago, Highy said:

I know this thread is about "Sprays" but seen a few of these videos...

This is like a Chilli Zest....but if a change the Chilli to a STRONG smelling nut (Tiger, Peanut,Cashew) recommendations ? and the colour from Pink to Yellow ? Reckon I would have a good Nutty Sauce/Dip/Goo ???

Get some vegetable glycerin from a vape type shop in proper sized amonts don't bother with those little bottles, I've watched a lot of those vids definately worth having a play, 

When you make vape liquids though you have to steep them for a little while so may be best with goo too to leave in a dark cupboard for a Month 

Or you could go to British aqua feed and get some hydro liquid I believe they do a nut based one now