bigger baits!

On 26 July 2018 at 13:10, yonny said:

Imo if anyone thinks they can feed off a lake full of small carp they are wrong geezer. Not a realistic solution imo buddy.

Yonny,

Mike Wilson and The Baiting Pyramid, he did it long term from memory, continually feeding and using maize, but it does work on shorter spells. Match anglers regularly feed, feed, fish, feed and keep feeding and checking/fishing a spot until the bigger fish move in.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Yonny,

Mike Wilson and The Baiting Pyramid, he did it long term from memory, continually feeding and using maize, but it does work on shorter spells. Match anglers regularly feed, feed, fish, feed and keep feeding and checking/fishing a spot until the bigger fish move in.

I'd say the baiting pyramid is more about clearing a spot and getting the carp to associate the spot with food. Feed lots of just small bits (groats, pigeon conditioner, etc) to create lots of activity and clear the spot, then reducing the smaller items and replacing with bigger food items (maize, maples, etc) and then doing the same until you just have boilies going in on the spot and nothing else. The idea being that the carp will get there first as they know it's a safe feeding area with some good food on it. Long term approach, 2 months without fishing it minimum, baiting 2/3 times a week. 

Works wonders though. @yonny I know the Rotary got emptied this way in a very short space of time 😉

17 minutes ago, yonny said:

For sure Vik but I don't think a pit with 8 carp in it can be compared to a water stacked full of pasties!

true, very little small stuff in there either. My point was exactly that. It isn't a method to stop catching smaller sized fish, its a method to associated a spot with a free food source over a long period. Weeding out the bigger fish is only possible on the surface or selectively stalking, and even then a smaller one may nip in first, or be sent in by the bigger fish.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Henchman style!

I have heard of anglers seeing this. Not seen it myself but I have seen carp seemingly protecting others i.e. nudging them away from hookbaits!

I have caught 2 8lb commons that were companions of a big mirror that was in my local park lake. One was a short dumpy fish, the other long and lean. They seemed to test every bait before the big mirror, which was rarely caught, almost 'sacrificing' themselves to spook it away.

• 2 months later...
On 31/07/2018 at 15:41, yonny said:

Henchman style!

I have heard of anglers seeing this. Not seen it myself but I have seen carp seemingly protecting others i.e. nudging them away from hookbaits!

a lake i used to fish had a group of grass carp that would always be seen together, two fairly large and two or sometimes three smaller/younger fish.

the two larger carp would herd the others toward the floaters and as soon as one got hooked they would hoover up what was left.

this was witnessed by me and others for at least two seasons and there was no record of the two biggies ever being on the bank? strange that.

51 minutes ago, cyborx said:

a lake i used to fish had a group of grass carp that would always be seen together, two fairly large and two or sometimes three smaller/younger fish.

the two larger carp would herd the others toward the floaters and as soon as one got hooked they would hoover up what was left.

this was witnessed by me and others for at least two seasons and there was no record of the two biggies ever being on the bank? strange 

A second rod out at the same time ?