bigger baits!

Hi guys,

So one of th venues i will be dropping on and off has a million small carp anything from 3 to probably 8 or 9lb have been destroying me, So the solution for me is bigger baits...bigger then the 18mm i already use. This place has fish up to probably 30lb, im guessing anything over 15 should be able to get a 22mm in thier mouths.......so i want to get hold of some 22mm, I dont really want to be making my own, not really got the time and i dont really want to invest in the kit. Can anyone recommend any ideas or a supplier that does boilies of this size?

Could i use cork balls with paste wrapped around and some mesh to keep it on? How long would the paste last?

Any help would be appreaciated.

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

im guessing anything over 15 should be able to get a 22mm in thier mouths.

I've had 2lb bream on 28mm bottom baits on the river mate. Just watch out the smaller carp dont pick you up and move your rigs off your spots. I had bream and tench do this to me and roll my lead off of a gravel bar down in to the weed. I was recasting just as much regardless of landing them or not. 

A 30 will easily fit a 30mm in its mouth. 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

I've had 2lb bream on 28mm bottom baits on the river mate. Just watch out the smaller carp dont pick you up and move your rigs off your spots. I had bream and tench do this to me and roll my lead off of a gravel bar down in to the weed. I was recasting just as much regardless of landing them or not. 

A 30 will easily fit a 30mm in its mouth. 

Yeah im expecting the rig to be moved about so just need to make sure its resetting as best it can so will probably be a blow back rig with a bit of balance to it and work from there. I might even have to deal with the small fish by introducing a lot of particle and hope they concentrate on that. I just think that to not have large baits as an option will be to my detriment.

6 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

Hi guys,

So one of th venues i will be dropping on and off has a million small carp anything from 3 to probably 8 or 9lb have been destroying me, So the solution for me is bigger baits...bigger then the 18mm i already use. This place has fish up to probably 30lb, im guessing anything over 15 should be able to get a 22mm in thier mouths.......so i want to get hold of some 22mm, I dont really want to be making my own, not really got the time and i dont really want to invest in the kit. Can anyone recommend any ideas or a supplier that does boilies of this size?

Could i use cork balls with paste wrapped around and some mesh to keep it on? How long would the paste last?

almost every boilie producer will do 24mm, nash, CC moore, active, cherry carp, A2, hot demon, Mainline, Stickie, all comes down to what you want from it and how much :lol:

7 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

Hi guys,

You could probably get them rolled bespoke by most decent places mate if you gave them a call. They shouldn't mind at all, as even if they had to roll you 5kg by hand, at that size they are a doddle. Might be an idea to get a couple of pots of mega hard hookers too, in the large size, as if you are being picked up and dropped by smaller fish, they will stay intact for longer.....

RE paste..... In these temps it won't last long, any solubles  within will disperse very fast . I might try the hard hookers I mentioned above with some paste around them to beef them up for a bit size wise...….. Once paste dissolves you'll have some soluble attraction around your hook bait...……… Failing that, and if they are allowed, a chunky old Brazil Nut might be worth a go.....

19 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

Hi guys,

There is a chapter in Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes Back called 'Doing a Fred', where he made some orange size boilies in an attempt to avoid smaller carp.

Go as big as you can, I've used 2 20mm baits on a hair and still caught carp only just reaching double figures, but at the same time, I have also gone down in size to 10mm baits and caught big carp over 20lb.

Double or even treble your baits on the hair, maybe 2 or 3 20mm boilies on the hair (Albert Romp and the Greedy Pig rig) instead of singles.

The other thing is you may find the larger carp avoid feeding with smaller carp, or stick to particular areas. It could pay to feed off the smaller carp, continually baiting one spot until they are full up and move off. The bigger carp may then move in, and pick up your 'oversize' hookbait, or you may need to find the areas the larger carp frequent if they stick to 'their' areas.

16 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have also gone down in size to 10mm baits and caught big carp over 20lb.

There lies a problem. Small baits are a great tactic for big carp. Imo upping the size too much will reduce the number of bites from big fish as well as little'n's.

35 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It could pay to feed off the smaller carp, continually baiting one spot until they are full up and move off. The bigger carp may then move in, and pick up your 'oversize' hookbait

Nah..... as you know carp don't have a stomach Nick, they can't become full up.

14 minutes ago, yonny said:

Nah..... as you know carp don't have a stomach Nick, they can't become full up.

I know what you are saying, but when nutritional need is fulfilled they can stop eating and go elsewhere to 'chill'.

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

There is a chapter in Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes Back called 'Doing a Fred', where he made some orange size boilies in an attempt to avoid smaller carp.

Go as big as you can, I've used 2 20mm baits on a hair and still caught carp only just reaching double figures, but at the same time, I have also gone down in size to 10mm baits and caught big carp over 20lb.

Double or even treble your baits on the hair, maybe 2 or 3 20mm boilies on the hair (Albert Romp and the Greedy Pig rig) instead of singles.

The other thing is you may find the larger carp avoid feeding with smaller carp, or stick to particular areas. It could pay to feed off the smaller carp, continually baiting one spot until they are full up and move off. The bigger carp may then move in, and pick up your 'oversize' hookbait, or you may need to find the areas the larger carp frequent if they stick to 'their' areas.

Cheers everyone. The feeding them off might not be 2 bad an idea, However even the silvers are in thier thousands so it might take a hell of a lot of bait. my go to tactic has been a solid bag with a 12mm pop up on a ronnie (on my previous venue) i darent try a solid bag on this place but that Ronnie set up did land me a 2lb roach..... I have had some decent fish from this venue up to late 20's and on my 3 sessions i have managed a 17 and a 23 but work overnighters on this place wont work unless i can carm down these smaller carp, from 7pm to 7am on mon-tues i had 9 carp probably under 8lb giving me a pretty rubbish sleep (i can deal with that if there were better fish). The bites from the better fish are amazing though im not sure if its the weather but god they have probably given me the longest battles i have ever had.

Im slowly working my way round the lake trying different swims but the small carp seem to be pretty much everywhere, will get some bigger baits and see what next sunday night holds in store, you can use 3 rods so i can put 3 different tactics into play and look for a bit of a pattern.

Just now, yonny said:

Imo if anyone thinks they can feed off a lake full of small carp they are wrong geezer. Not a realistic solution imo buddy.

i was kind of thinking of attracting them to a spot i wasnt fishing or maybe dropping a rig a rod length or 2 off a baited spot... More a case of pulling the smaller fish to an area i wasnt fishing

1 minute ago, Ginger9991 said:

i was kind of thinking of attracting them to a spot i wasnt fishing or maybe dropping a rig a rod length or 2 off a baited spot... 

Some anglers swear by this as a big fish tactic (fishing off the baited area). I'm not so sure but defo worth a try fella.

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

i was kind of thinking of attracting them to a spot i wasnt fishing or maybe dropping a rig a rod length or 2 off a baited spot... More a case of pulling the smaller fish to an area i wasnt fishing

This is exactly what I would and indeed have done. Not just to lessen attention from small carp but particularly from swarms of silvers.

As above,at the edge of the main area. Sometimes tho just plowing through the small ones is the only real option. What’s everyone using on your water ? If everyone was on 18/20millers I’d definitely have a go with smaller baits.

I dropped Baitworks a message to see if they would roll me anything bigger then 18. Unfortunatly at the moment they wont but they plan to bring bigger baits out. Mark sent me a few FB voice messages providing some suggestions (which by the way is brilliant customer service as i bet im not the only 1 asking questions). He mentioned coating the boilies in a paste and boiling for 30secs/1 min to help create a skin and increase the time it takes for the paste to break down.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:16, yonny said:

Some anglers swear by this as a big fish tactic (fishing off the baited area). I'm not so sure but defo worth a try fella.

There is a theory that the older a carp gets, the more refined/sensitive it's gustatory and olfactory senses become, so a "fresh" baited area, which is attractive to younger fish, is a bit much for the more developed senses of an older fish. Possibly uncomfortable, or just unnatural and spelling danger...Can't remember the guys name, but heard this on one of the carp casts a while back...…… This also adds to the theory of "big fish" baits, with less flavours and more focused on the right levels of nutrition.

Also, younger fish will have to eat certain foods/vits/mins to support growth rates. Where as a larger "topped out" fish can obtain enough vits and mins to "sustain" current size, via osmosis in a decent environment...… So, imo, there will be slightly different dietry needs..... I am talking very young fish, where experiments have been done with vit c, for instance, which is widely regarded as non essential in quantity for mature fish, however small fish will take in orally , as mentioned, to support growth rates.... Lets remember that not all smaller fish are young fish. But young fish tend to be small. I'll try and dig out the Carp Cast, there's a good 20 minute chat/interview.

On 28/07/2018 at 12:39, B.C. said:

Can't remember the guys name, but heard this on one of the carp casts a while back...……

John Llewellyn?

A very interesting piece.

There is a theory that the older a carp gets, the more refined/sensitive it's gustatory and olfactory senses become, so a "fresh" baited area, which is attractive to younger fish, is a bit much for the more developed senses of an older fish. Possibly uncomfortable, or just unnatural and spelling danger...This also adds to the theory of "big fish" baits, with less flavours and more focused on the right levels of nutrition.

I don't buy it one bit if I'm honest B.C. I've caught plenty of bigguns over freshly baited areas. In addition to that, older fish are not necessarily bigger fish - plenty top out at 20's. Some even less than that.

Also, younger fish will have to eat certain foods/vits/mins to support growth rates. Where as a larger "topped out" fish can obtain enough vits and mins to "sustain" current size, via osmosis in a decent environment...… So, imo, there will be slightly different dietry needs..... I am talking very young fish, where experiments have been done with vit c, for instance, which is widely regarded as non essential in quantity for mature fish, however small fish will take in orally , as mentioned, to support growth rates.... Lets remember that not all smaller fish are young fish. But young fish tend to be small. I'll try and dig out the Carp Cast, there's a good 20 minute chat/interview.

That makes sense to me fella.