KHV

oscsha

Very sad news again...…. Too little is done on many fisheries to prevent the spread of KHV and other diseases/viruses...… I have no doubt that there will be many more cases up and down the country before this season is over... In recent years there have been a lot of outbreaks later in the year, when temperatures are still mild but drying kit out is more difficult...… As an angler, you just have to do what you can to help prevent this sort of thing..... Get stuff dried out properly in the sunlight between trips especially if you fish multiple waters. I bought some steri 7 this year as I have more than one ticket, but even that isn't fail proof, so I've been told...….. I would stay off of any waters that have had outbreaks in the past..... I was gutted to find out that a water I fished in the Spring, had had an outbreak in the not too distant past (I wasn't told until after the event)….. Respooled my reels and got new landing mesh and mat, just in case.... There are some sensible fisheries/ clubs out there that do what they can, and , at least make anglers aware of the risks and consequences, often suppling "on site" nets and mats as a precaution and I guess there are lots that don't. As each year there are more and more cases...… Many believe that channel hopping day ticket anglers fishing waters that aren't well managed are partly to blame, who knows.  There are probably a million reasons. All we can do as individuals is do our best to dry our kit out properly and keep our fingers crossed that everyone else does the same...…. Gutted for those waters mentioned in the OP.

ALways sad to see this. It is very important to dry out all your net and mat between sessions. I also use super strong alcohol wipes from work on my matt between sessions as well as the wipes will kill anything. Sadly not many people will do the same and i have seen people fish completely ignore dipping stations on fisheries in the past, i know many of them will have probably have fished there on the last trip so not much need, however i can't imagine all the people i see ignoring the nets have only fished the same fishery.

While I totally agree that dipping mats, nets and slings can help, drying them out totally is also a requirement, and not flitting from venue to venue does also help as in most British summers it is rare to get good enough hot dry weather and UV light to kill the virus. This year is an exception!

Another part of the problem is of course fish movement, legal and illegal. I have written in the past about fish being moved from fishery to fishery by ignorant 'anglers', fish theft or even 'legitimate' movements within a club.

I have seen carp moved from a small park lake into a syndicate lake (now lost to most anglers), seen fish moved from the river Gipping and put elsewhere, into some quite high profile fisheries (not under current managements approval I must add) as well as other local lakes.

These fish movement comments have made me enemies locally as I have stood up to those doing it, and named and shamed them locally and nationally.

the syndicate im fishing atm has had KHV and was brought in by a match angler as the lake next to ours is a match lake and is connected via a drain

when I joined it last year i decided not to fish any other venues until id finished on this 1 as its the only way i can be 100% sure im not spreading the disease

and when i do move on ill give the fishery my old slings nets and matts and get new 1s

Always sad to see. 

Very difficult to control. From what I have been told, this is as much to do with the fishery as the angler. Their desire for cash over welfare will always take president.

I believe, to eliminate the desease properly is a question of draining and liming the lake. Obviously causing huge cost & loss of income for the fishery. Mmm, it's not going to happen! 

As above I ensure all my gear is thoroughly dried, it's all I can do. 

On 15/07/2018 at 09:34, harpz_31 said:

Day ticket waters r most at risk and it should be made compulsory for them to provide nets slings and matts

With the amount of traffic you get through places like linear its only a matter of when not if

I couldn't agree more.

I honestly don't understand why all syndicates don't supply nets, slings, mats etc. I supply these on my water and they cost less a handful of double figure carp would cost. No brainer.

I've heard talk on some groups of the Isreali strains being KHV resistant... Building up an immunity to the virus by being subjected to it..... If this is true, then surely they would become carriers? And if stocked in lakes that contain different strains, would put these other fish at risk? Someone with more knowledge on this subject mat be able to enlighten us on this. As far as I know, it is illegal to import fish and release them into the wild, but carp fisheries are not considered to be wild...… These points came up on a FB group I follow, where some knowledgeable folk are hand rearing older strains of king carp, in a bid to keep them going. When you see the pics of some of their palm sized proper carp, jet black scaleys 1 summer old. You can see why they are doing it...…. If I had the space and funds for a decent set up, it's something I'd love to take an interest in...

36784779_10156573386096563_6688293549173112832_o.jpg

Edited by B.C.

according to science direct, Quote"Intra-muscular and oral vaccination using a Koi Herpesvirus ORF25 DNA vaccine does not confer protection in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.)"  the search for an effective inoculation is still ongoing, and will be for some time yet.

i did hear from somewhere that it was the Israelis diddling about with the species that caused the virus to mutate in the first place?

apparently, the first outbreaks of KHV were in a private pond in the USA, the owner had not long taken a stocking of fish from a Kibutz in Israel.

just been doing a bit of digging to try to find which Kibutz and found a more recent paper on immunization, you were partly right about the vaccination @chillfactor

the paper states that the Israeli carp are inoculated while still under 1 year old, they cannot contract KHV or SVC and are not carriers of either so they cannot pass it on, but they also cannot yet pass on the immunity to their young, also at the time of print the carp have to be in their first year for it to be effective. :wink:

1 hour ago, cyborx said:

that is one gorgeous (Cyprinus Carpio) comunis BC :lol:

Yes mate, a very nice fish. One of many I've seen pics of, all hand reared from spawn collected from local lakes/rivers...…. These lads have some serious fish rearing knowledge and some serious passion too (not to mention the kit involved)……. Nerdity at it's finest, long may it continue...….

I'll be pumping out and resurrecting an old garden pond before the summer is out and I've got a couple of small tanks. So, hopefully, next year I can grow a few fry on from my Syndicate ( Train them on my bait..lol)….. 🙂 Then wait 30yrs and smash it on the lake.....

15 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Think they basically give these young fish a dose of the virus .  think it's been shown that these fish can shed the virus at a later date but are not effected them selves . So having them in your lake mixed with English carp could well be ticking time bomb .

That's exactly what I thought, although wasn't sure.... I suppose the theory here is that if it did go off, the immune fish would survive and hopefully breed some resistant fish in later years...….

On 17/07/2018 at 22:47, chillfactor said:

I see Trench pool has been hit with khv  too . Used to be  few members on here who fish there .

The fingers being pointed at fish movements on social media . 

It's been confirmed today.

I haven't fished it in a while but it's a sad state of affairs. 

In Novemeber/December the pool received a stocking from the CRT from Earlswood engine pool, a lake that I believe in 2008 was deemed to have khv.

So i think any survivors may have been immune but carriers of the disease. 

The posts suggest that the stock that's been affected is the original stock, beautiful old English carp. Which gives further credence to the fact that the moved fish were infected but immune. 

What's worse, is that some of the locals didn't like the new fish and have on catching from trench, moved them into other local pools, which means the virus and it's impacts could further impact the local waters. 

I'm still unsure how the original fish movement was signed off, given it was supposedly an authorised movement with all checks done and signed off by the relevant authorities, given the history of the pool they came from. 

8 hours ago, androoooo said:

In Novemeber/December the pool received a stocking from the CRT from Earlswood engine pool, a lake that I believe in 2008 was deemed to have khv.

The posts suggest that the stock that's been affected is the original stock, beautiful old English carp. Which gives further credence to the fact that the moved fish were infected but immune. 

What's worse, is that some of the locals didn't like the new fish and have on catching from trench, moved them into other local pools, which means the virus and it's impacts could further impact the local waters. 

I'm still unsure how the original fish movement was signed off, given it was supposedly an authorised movement with all checks done and signed off by the relevant authorities, given the history of the pool they came from. 

I always understood that fish that survived KHV were carriers themselves, and could infect other fish.

I think To get rid of KHV totally from a water it has to be drained, the bottom limed and allowed to stand fallow, and can't be restocked for 2 years.

This allowing fish movement from a water that was even suspected of having KHV in the past is just plain stupid, and shows how easy it to transfer disease from water to water. That is infected fish from 10years ago, not just a year or so!

It is not hard to look at past records of KHV outbreaks, probably most of them are on EA website, or even here, (😉😅)

10 hours ago, androoooo said:

Long time no speak mate .... hope your keeping well. 

Like you say very sad state of affairs.  I suppose there is a possibility that it was a ligit move & all signed off . And a chance that the fish taken as a sample weren't infected .  If this proves to be the case having fish from anywhere but a fish farm checks or not could be a game of Russian roulette . 

Seeing ozzy in a couple of weeks as he's on the French trip,  he had been fishing there until that stocking you mention . 

Real shame proper water meldled with ! 

Just now, chillfactor said:

Long time no speak mate .... hope your keeping well. 

Like you say very sad state of affairs.  I suppose there is a possibility that it was a ligit move & all signed off . And a chance that the fish taken as a sample weren't infected .  If this proves to be the case having fish from anywhere but a fish farm checks or not could be a game of Russian roulette . 

Seeing ozzy in a couple of weeks as he's on the French trip,  he had been fishing there until that stocking you mention . 

Real shame proper water meldled with ! 

From what I can gather it was legit and above board. Jeremy Evans (Jemsue) I think has more detail on his FB page (on my friends list if you aren't), and the posts he has made about it.

I have made that point for ages about getting fish from only clean stock, be that your own breeding programme or certified fish farms. After some of the shenanigans with some fish farms or suppliers though, I would double check their integrity totally. I know some who were buying infected fish from abroad, then bringing them into UK and dropping them in lakes, complete with apparent Section 30's.