multi rig questions

cloud9

2 minutes ago, crusian said:

Thanks very much for the additional info. , Emmcee .

I'll twiddle around with the bait size , but I haven't got Big Boy Pants big enough to use a 6oz lead 😮.

😃

Haha, neither do I. One thing though my mates takes are absolute rippers  on these 6oz leads. With most anglers using 2oz - 4oz leads,  the fish ain't got a clue what's hit them. 

One style of Mike Kavanner Multi Rig uses a curve hook,I use a chod type one and I don’t know why 🤔🤔🤔 probably because it looks ‘right’ with a chod hook...... I’ll try some with curves see how I go on cheers emmcee 😬😎👍🏼

I've been using the multi rig for around 12 months now and I've always used a curve shank hook with it and always a bank tackle size 6, up to now I don't think I've lost a fish in all that time. I'm 100% confident in this rig I use it for bottom baits, pop ups and wafters. A massive bonus for me is that it is so quick and easy to tie. 🙂👍

4 minutes ago, finchey said:

I've been using the multi rig for around 12 months now and I've always used a curve shank hook with it and always a bank tackle size 6, up to now I don't think I've lost a fish in all that time. I'm 100% confident in this rig I use it for bottom baits, pop ups and wafters. A massive bonus for me is that it is so quick and easy to tie. 🙂👍

I use it as an all round rig as well. 

30 minutes ago, framey said:

I’m going to go back and splice all my hooklengths for the multi from now on found a solid able material I can use for it again.

will work well for multi rigs and get it as low as I want. even standing straight of the eye If I want to

Spliceable hooklinks? You've got me interested lol 

I started researching but not sure where to start who makes good ones please? 

One thing I found that makes a difference to how the rig sits, is to strip back the coating towards the knot.. if you do it the other way it makes the link behind the break in the coating curve instead of laying flat... but the you probably already knew that I s'pose

I’ve messed about a lot with the multi rig and different hook patterns, I switched to a size 4 curv shank and never looked back. I usually use a soft coated braid with a anti tangle sleeve and a sinker half way up the hooklength and a 3.5 oz lead. I use a stiff braid when the lake bed allows me to. 

5D40719C-F6C8-4D17-8DCF-0009AB806DAF.png

0C282A07-D478-475E-A9C1-D91579EFD060.png

Edited by Its-grim-up-north

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Spliceable hooklinks? You've got me interested lol 

I started researching but not sure where to start who makes good ones please? 

I crumbled and bought some ridgemonkey stuff last night so don’t expect it until next week. If they have it in stock 

https://ridgemonkey.co.uk/productnews/714-2

fox do a 50lb one ?

I also alreadyhave the avid lead free leader I can try it on though but at 40lb it may be a little thick but I will give it a go

May see if I can splice some regular braid hook link stuff I have already 

Edited by framey

50lb avid touchdown not 40lb sorry and a size 4 Gardner chod hook

The 50 is too stiff to get through the eye easy but it does lock it in well 

as it’s doubled it does stand up higher where the splice is but I have no doubts the 20 would work really well if it’s a good braid.

neat though huh ?

07B3637C-17CB-4585-B39C-EFB3E31BE731.jpeg

Edited by framey

1 hour ago, framey said:

I crumbled and bought some ridgemonkey stuff last night so don’t expect it until next week. If they have it in stock 

https://ridgemonkey.co.uk/productnews/714-2

fox do a 50lb one ?

I also alreadyhave the avid lead free leader I can try it on though but at 40lb it may be a little thick but I will give it a go

May see if I can splice some regular braid hook link stuff I have already 

Funnily enough I had the avid stuff, so I also gave it a go splices nicely but didn't want to go through the eye, I used a size 4, on my travels of the interweb today I found some IB HOOKS JUNGLE ROPE 25lb spliceable hooklink braid 50m for £15, I've taken A Punt will let you know what it's like, they seem to do some quite cool rig bits on there site actually, worth having a look I think 👍

Let me know how you get on with the ridgemonkey stuff 

2 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

I’ve messed about a lot with the multi rig and different hook patterns, I switched to a size 4 curv shank and never looked back. I usually use a soft coated braid with a anti tangle sleeve and a sinker half way up the hooklength and a 3.5 oz lead. I use a stiff braid when the lake bed allows me to. 

5D40719C-F6C8-4D17-8DCF-0009AB806DAF.png

0C282A07-D478-475E-A9C1-D91579EFD060.png

Looks spot on mate. 👍

20 hours ago, finchey said:

Hi Finchey

I see that you are using a SZ.6 rather than a SZ.4 like Emmcee , and I'm wondering if like me you are targeting 20s' rather than 30s' and 40s' ? .

As you mentioned  Bank Tackle , I asked them  if they had any plans to introduce Ready Made Rigs , and they will be in the future , which is just what I wanted to learn as I always seem to find excuses for not making up some rigs .

😃

5 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Finchey

I see that you are using a SZ.6 rather than a SZ.4 like Emmcee , and I'm wondering if like me you are targeting 20s' rather than 30s' and 40s' ? .

As you mentioned  Bank Tackle , I asked them  if they had any plans to introduce Ready Made Rigs , and they will be in the future , which is just what I wanted to learn as I always seem to find excuses for not making up some rigs .

😃

The answer to your question is yes 20's if I'm lucky but usually doubles. 

I find these rigs so easy to tie, the hardest part for me is getting the loop for the hook the right size apart from that there a doddle. 🙂👍

10 hours ago, framey said:

50lb avid touchdown not 40lb sorry and a size 4 Gardner chod hook

The 50 is too stiff to get through the eye easy but it does lock it in well 

as it’s doubled it does stand up higher where the splice is but I have no doubts the 20 would work really well if it’s a good braid.

neat though huh ?

07B3637C-17CB-4585-B39C-EFB3E31BE731.jpeg

Don't know if you remember my comment from years ago about being able to splice 25lb Kryston Merlin, I think it is possible with a number of braided hooklinks.

The only difference in my case was the only knot was to the swivel and it was through the eye of the hook, but I reckon you could Multi-rig with any uncoated braid over 15lb.

9 hours ago, finchey said:

The answer to your question is yes 20's if I'm lucky but usually doubles. 

I find these rigs so easy to tie, the hardest part for me is getting the loop for the hook the right size apart from that there a doddle. 🙂👍

Thanks , Finchey .

I forgot to ask , and as you mentioned " the loop " , Emmcee has an 1 1/2" loop ( with a SZ.4 ) , what size loop do you have with your SZ.6 ,  pls. ? .

😃 

3 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Finchey .

I forgot to ask , and as you mentioned " the loop " , Emmcee has an 1 1/2" loop ( with a SZ.4 ) , what size loop do you have with your SZ.6 ,  pls. ? .

😃

I don't actually measure the size of the loop I make just big enough to fit over the hook, it's just trial and era with me because if I use the rig for a pop up I like it pop up as short as I can get it. 

I hope this helps you Crusian.🙂👍

3 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Finchey .

😃

Must admit I use a 1 1/2" loop when I'm fishing over a bed of  scattered boilies. I've used this rig over particles as well but I use a smaller loop, probably about 3/4". But all the time it's with a size 4. Personal choice i guess.

19 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Finchey

😃

I’d say fish size isn’t the only thing that comes into play when choosing hook size, the water I fish is very weedy and a size 4 gives me that extra confidence when playing fish through that thick weed... especially because there’s a barbed hook ban also.