multi rig questions

cloud9

Hey everyone, I have been using the standard multi rig for a while now, this year I have changed both the hook link material and the hook themselves this weekend I have had three hook pulls , so at the moment I'm using the esp tungsten loaded semi stiff hook link with a ridge monkey chod hook with a outurned eye and a bait screw for the bait , now when I use a hook with a inturned eye the hook seems to sit at a more aggressive angle , what are you guys using as a hook pattern ? 

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/esp-cryogen-stiff-rigger

I like these mate, very sharp, straight point and quite a large gape...…. Usually a size 6 depending on bait size or weed thickness... Once you go 4's and 5's with these, the wire gauge is a lot thicker and the hook much beefier and heavier..... I know what you mean about the in turned eye being more aggressive, or even a straight eye. But unless I'm using a larger size, the gape always looks a bit closed up without the out turned eye imo…… I like the multi rig for it's simplicity to tie. But a while back started using a variation, like a combi/multi rig..... Using a stiffer section to pass through the eye, which you can play with to create different angles of aggression...….. Carlos uses a similar rig.... Here's his version if it helps..... On a side note, there's been discussions elsewhere about fish not troughing in this heat, could be that your hook pulls are down to them just not feeding hard enough, plucking at food items, maybe feeding that bit harder when a few fish are about, hence your diffierent hook holds.... Just a thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwTq1n4SEQ

Edited by B.C.

Personally I use multi rigs for most of my fishing and have done for a number of years now, apart from I've now got two rods set up on multi chods.

I use atomic chodda hooks in 4 or 5 with a similar set up to those above (my version https://carpychrons.wordpress.com/2017/11/02/in-depth-rigs-update/ ) 

I did at one point, through the summer months last year get a lot of hook pulls, which suddenly stopped at the end of August for some reason. I didn't change anything as I was still landing fish and I knew that it wasn't solely down to the rig, I had been hooking small tench and bream in the bottom lip on my previous venue so the rig was fine. I put it down to exactly what BC says above, the fish are not feeding hard and just grazing, funnily enough looking back the lost fish were daytime bites and the landed were mainly during the night, likely when they are feeding harder as it's cooled off. 

The one thing to really play with which will affect hook holds though, and is probably overlooked by many, is the amount of weight used (in my case putty), I've found even the slightest difference can make the hook act differently upon takes. The difference between a pop-up heavily weighted and a critically balanced one is vast. I found the heavily weighted got better hook holds, but when it comes to rigs re-setting it is nowhere near as good so you end up with potentially dodgy hook holds due to the rig being a mess on the bottom.

Nash Chod Twister for my multi ive been using them for a couple of years now and I don’t have a problem with them. Even better with Nash bringing out there new range of hooks I’ve ended up buying 15pkts of the old pattern (they still work for me) for £2.75 a pkt.

Thanks for the replys , I hadn't thought about the fish not taking in the bait properly. It was just frustrating to keep loosing them , will check out some of the hooks you suggest and tie up some more rigs with the bits I have been using and see how I feel about them ... thanks 👍

15 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

Thanks for the replys , I hadn't thought about the fish not taking in the bait properly. It was just frustrating to keep loosing them , will check out some of the hooks you suggest and tie up some more rigs with the bits I have been using and see how I feel about them ... thanks 👍

YouTube Julian Cundiff multi rig........ I’ve used this set up for 3 years now and can honestly say I’ve never lost a fish on it. Really good video,mate. 😉

Thanks again guys, I've watched the video now and I have been tying up my rigs almost the same until changing the hook pattern and also the hook link material, at the weekend I went back to using a stiffer hook link with a curved shank hook and was a lot happier with the results,if it ain't broke then don't fix it springs to mind lol.....

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Quality tip mate 👍. Was using a chod style hook and dropping the odd fish. Changed to these and literally every hook holds been nicely in the bottom lip.

No worries mate. Like you I dropped a few on the chod style hook and a mate told me to switch, glad I did. 

Edited by emmcee

As soon as a rig I use has some dodgy hook holds, I firstly tweak it and see if the hook hold is bang centre of the bottom lip. If that doesn't work then I'll change to a different rig totally. Fish welfare is paramount to me. As for stiff material, that's all I use. If you doubt its effectiveness, I'll gladly show you my photo album 😉

9 hours ago, Leonard said:

Nah, curve shanks aint for me, ditched them years ago

Big widegape with a small bait, shorter the hair, bigger the hook and smaller the bait, simples

Each to their own. If we all agreed, used or done the same thing it would be a very boring world and no need for a forum like this. Just saying 

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I've got a multi rig question, I've been watching the vids on how to make it and it doesn't seem to have a tight knot,at the hook end  I get you have pulled the hook through the loop so its like the 2 loop marker set up but I have always pulled that tight and it has the other knot to tighten to , does the knot pull tight on a take with the multi rig ? 

I just don't quite understand the mechanics of it 

51 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Guys I've got a multi rig question, I've been watching the vids on how to make it and it doesn't seem to have a tight knot,at the hook end  I get you have pulled the hook through the loop so its like the 2 loop marker set up but I have always pulled that tight and it has the other knot to tighten to , does the knot pull tight on a take with the multi rig ? 

Get a brew on,sit down and watch this. 😉😬😎🎣

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Not quite sure what you mean? Both knots should be tight and bedded down. The loop through the hook does move up and down the shank. I use hook beads to lock it in place so the ‘D’ is the size I want. On a take it pulls down to the hook eye either with the bead or over it. If using larger hooks with big eyes then you might want to shrink tube over it so the braid can’t slip in to the cut and damage. 

33 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Not quite sure what you mean? Both knots should be tight and bedded down. The loop through the hook does move up and down the shank. I use hook beads to lock it in place so the ‘D’ is the size I want. On a take it pulls down to the hook eye either with the bead or over it. If using larger hooks with big eyes then you might want to shrink tube over it so the braid can’t slip in to the cut and damage. 

But it only moves down on a take Vik 🤔

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Thanks that's what I just wanted to know about the rig, just that it was tight when it needs to be really against the eye, no one really shows you what they end up like only when they are new and shiny 

I will try and watch the Jules vid when i get a chance should be useful 

4 minutes ago, snowmanstevo said:

I use a bait screw on mine,when I’ve had a take I just reposition the D check the hook and put it out again. Can’t see how you need hook beads or am I missing something here mate. 🤔

A couple of pics, The hook bead stops the loop from moving on the cast or if a fish manages to not get hooked. 

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG