15 minutes ago, dayvid said:

How long does one repellent matt and cartridge last .

So Each matt works for 4 hours and the gas lasts 12 hours if left switched on.

If I'm in the biwvy I only leave it on for short periods as its effective that way, but if sitting in the ipen Ill have it on all the time mozies or midges are about.

I also reload the matts myself it works out about a penny a matt and the gas can be refilled with butain from a pound shop!

6 minutes ago, levigsp said:

So Each matt works for 4 hours and the gas lasts 12 hours if left switched on.

If I'm in the biwvy I only leave it on for short periods as its effective that way, but if sitting in the ipen Ill have it on all the time mozies or midges are about.

I also reload the matts myself it works out about a penny a matt and the gas can be refilled with butain from a pound shop!

You can buy matts for 200 @£20, or reload with permethrin is you so wish.

13 minutes ago, oscsha said:

I thought Allethrin was the main ingredient used in Thermacell , I must be wrong maybe they have changed the formula ?? 

You are correct in a way, as I have just looked and my first mats state a type of Allethrin , the last lot state permethrin and that's what I reload with.

23 minutes ago, levigsp said:

Correct I wouldn't use it on my skin, I will permethrin..

If any one is using one of these Thermacell's  with Allethrin pads then it may be worth taking precautions i.e covering all bait and switching off when the fish are out of the water , may seem over the top but Allethrin is not good for fish  , kills bee's as well (a big no no in my book ).

May work well , but I'll stick to other methods of controlling the little blood suckers . 

1 hour ago, oscsha said:

If any one is using one of these Thermacell's  with Allethrin pads then it may be worth taking precautions i.e covering all bait and switching off when the fish are out of the water , may seem over the top but Allethrin is not good for fish  , kills bee's as well (a big no no in my book ).

May work well , but I'll stick to other methods of controlling the little blood suckers . 

So The amount of active ingredient given off will have no effect on fish on the matt! bees yes if they sit on the pad, ie direct contact with the chemical. Deet based repellents will cause far more harm! I am passionate about protecting bees and other similar creatures, but I use these Thermacells

5 minutes ago, levigsp said:

So The amount of active ingredient given off will have no effect on fish on the matt! bees yes if they sit on the pad, ie direct contact with the chemical. Deet based repellents will cause far more harm! I am passionate about protecting bees and other similar creatures, but I use these Thermacells

Sorry bees do not have to bee sit on the pad to be killed !! 

As I said above I would rather be cautious around fish if using one , better safe than sorry .

Your happy using one , I'm not  just different opinions . 

On 03/07/2018 at 22:39, B.C. said:

These work for me... The candles will keep them away from your bivvy door...….. The Skin So Soft gets used at night if the mozzies are particularly bad (haven't needed it so far this year)….. The candle are usually enough, but they burn out after a couple of hours...…. 🙂

s-l160044.jpg

s-l50066.jpg

Just taken delivery of just these items today, ready for my trip on Saturday, along with some antihistamine cream and some citronella air freshener type thingies that you leave in the bivvy. It's normally my ankles the [censored]s get.

4 hours ago, smufter said:

Just taken delivery of just these items today, ready for my trip on Saturday, along with some antihistamine cream and some citronella air freshener type thingies that you leave in the bivvy. It's normally my ankles the [censored]s get.

I find it best to light a candle well before dark, and place it in the doorway especially if you are using a mozzie mesh while you sleep, other wise you may trap a few inside the bivvy when you do the mesh up...…. The spray stuff has served me well for about 3 years now after a recommendation (same bottle)…. Although as Yonny mentioned, it can be down to the individual as to how effective these things are...…. I've also used incense sticks which are really good to have a few feet outside the bivvy. They are mega strong scented, they don't blow out in any breeze either... But I found , they were too potent, the oils getting on my hands just by handling them out of the packet. The few packs I had left over when I stopped using on the bank, have come in really handy at home lately as I've had to have a few windows left open in the evening due to this hot weather and it's put any bugs off of coming indoors and dancing on the lights/monitor/ TV...… The sticks don't burn for as long as the candles do, only about 40 mins, but very effective (just need to wash your hands after lighting one)……….. Have a good trip mate..🙂

s-l50000.jpg

I don't usually get bugged with scratchy itchy bites, although the annoyance of the little buzz just next to your ear as you are about to fall asleep really does do my head in. Last night I had a mosquito hunt and clapped them for their performance, along with a slow thumb move as they landed on the brolly. The inside now looks like something out of Apocolypse😖

Permethrin can be sprayed on clothing, in fact modern army combat clothing is permethrin treated.

If the insects are bad, then I usually use Expedition as mentioned above or Repel 55 as the picture

image.jpg

As mentioned before a thermocell and treat your clothing, bivvy, bed chair, and surrounding area in Sawyers. It's a permethrin bug repellant. I promise you that it will work. I started using it a couple years ago and haven't had a tick or mosquito problem since.