July Catch Reports

salokcinnodrog

I had 2 countable fish today, one on a dog biscuit from the end of the island on Willow lake, and one on sweetcorn on the lift float, over breadcrumb, hemp and sweetcorn. I had actually fallen asleep for the 2nd fish and was woken up by the lovely sound of a screaming centre pin.

I did have another, but can't count it, a fish turned on the floater, and foul hooked itself just below the pectoral fish.

My fish were all around 5lb, and Colin had one of around the same on a fake dog biscuit, holding it on the surface with his pole. His was most definitely the best looking of the day.

Just now, ziggyw said:

Couldnt believe it to be honest matey not sure which im more buzzing about, catching on homemade boilies or the fact England won again lol

Bait is a funny old thing.. You could have blanked a couple of sessions on your new bait, through no fault of your own, and been left thinking that your bait was a crock of do do...….. Good to see the boys win again, they looked really comfortable, too, against the Swedes...…. Do we dare to believe?????😊…… I fancy us against Croatia, would not of been as confident had Russia made it through, home nation support and all that...

My 72 hour session ended after about 48 hours as it was just too hot. The fish were all chilling out on top and typically the lake had a no surface fishing rule which sucked. I was the only 1 on 5 acres of lake for my stay. It fished hard at first but once the cool wind got going so did the fish. Unfortunately most of these were under 5lb as all the big boys were on top. I think I had about 16/17 carp only 3 being doubles. 

Faced various issues, little silvers were pecking my boiles to death, small carp were giving me aborted takes or actual bites which meant I couldn’t keep the rods in the water for longer then an hour or 2, any spods of bait put out drove silvers into a Frenzy which meant there was little out there to attract the big carp. moved off the bottom and onto zigs..... more small carp! Anyway that’s a problem I have to try and solve, 1 decent fish was this 23lb. The fight was pretty special it had obviously saved a lot of energy recently!

3B3A79E1-E8A2-4992-B022-D61C02A7E4EA.jpeg

Edited by Ginger9991

On 11/07/2018 at 11:53, Ginger9991 said:

My 72 hour session ended after about 48 hours as it was just too hot. The fish were all chilling out on top and typically the lake had a no surface fishing rule which sucked. I was the only 1 on 5 acres of lake for my stay. It fished hard at first but once the cool wind got going so did the fish. Unfortunately most of these were under 5lb as all the big boys were on top. I think I had about 16/17 carp only 3 being doubles. 

Faced various issues, little silvers were pecking my boiles to death, small carp were giving me aborted takes or actual bites which meant I couldn’t keep the rods in the water for longer then an hour or 2, any spods of bait put out drove silvers into a Frenzy which meant there was little out there to attract the big carp. moved off the bottom and onto zigs..... more small carp! Anyway that’s a problem I have to try and solve, 1 decent fish was this 23lb. The fight was pretty special it had obviously saved a lot of energy recently!

3B3A79E1-E8A2-4992-B022-D61C02A7E4EA.jpeg

Try bigger baits for the better fish.  One of the lakes I fish has had a lot of stockies put it in recent years from 4lb upwards.  You get pestered by them if you use particle or small boilies. My mate started using bigger baits  ( 24mm sometimes double 24mm) and started picking up the better fish. Worth a try if you want to try and get the better ones. 

Edited by emmcee
Spelling

Couple of nights on the bank this past weekend.

My focus water looks like pea soup at the moment so I retreated to the smaller 12 acre water on the same complex. Found them quite easily milling about in the weediest area of the lake and the closest swim was free so jumped in there. Promptly scared them all away trying to find a spot, 3 hours it took and even then it was just two small holes in what was otherwise deck to surface solid weed. One at 40 yards, one at 60.

Took me ages to get the baits placed, a foot or two either side of the spots and it's solid - and it'd take 5 or 10 mins to clear the rig of sticky silk weed meshed with Canadian prior to having another cast. Eventually got a rig on the longer spot and managed to get 2 on the closer one. Line lay was shocking but what choice did I have? Spodded a load of boilie and pellet over the top. Relax.

Hour later and a rod on the shorter spot goes, surprising after all the commotion and in the heat of the late afternoon. Typical brutal weedy battle. Rod locked solid for much of it but managed to extract it after a little while. Nothing big but a real minter, mid-double mirror, a couple of massive apple slice scales under the shoulder on each flank. Happy with that.

Sun goes down and tbh I'm expecting action after the first fish but by midnight nothing has happened. I go to bed suspecting my presentation in this weed aint up to scratch and that it's game over for the night. Needn't have worried as at 03:30 a rod on the shorter spot goes. I'm fishing bowstring, locked up, and I'm out of the bag after one beep but even then it's too late - completely solid in weed. I play tug of war with this weeded up fish for a short while before I bring in a rig covered in weed. Oh well, can't win them all.

There's not a chance I can get the rod back on the spot until daylight so I leave it out. Back in the bag and maybe 20 mins later the rod remaining on the short spot goes. I manage to hit the rod with the carp still moving which is a bonus but I can't prevent it from entering the biggest weed bed of the lot..... and it's solid. I spend 10 minute trying to extract it but it's managed to get through the other side and while I'm in contact with the fish the line itself is anchored by this huge bed of Canadian. All I can think to do is put the rod down for a bit and hope the fish somehow drags the line back out of this weed. I place it on the deck and roll a Fag.

I'm sitting there contemplating going for a swim when the long rod rips off. As you can imagine I've not hit a rod so quickly in all my life. This one is really on the move and legs it down to my left, under an overhanging tree, towards a reed bed..... jeez this is hard work this swim. I apply serious side strain and manage to stop it, thankfully after the initial run it's a good boy and lets me lead it in. It's a low 20 common, another looker, and I'm particularly happy with the pics of this one (I have a new camera and just about perfected the self-take settings).

Back to the weeded up fish (prior to the pics of the common obviously!!) and the fish has gone, no surprise. Win some, lose some. At least I didn't have to go fro a swim.

I decide that I really can't be bothered with this weed so move into the next swim down which is also holding fish but not quite so savage in terms of plant life. I take it easy, there's no shade in this new swim and the heat is savage so I take my time doing everything. Find a couple of spots (much easier in this swim) and put a bit of bait in. Late afternoon and there's no shortage of fish, they're everywhere, and I go to bed on dark with miles more confidence than I had the previous night.

Well would you believe it - I wake up first light and don't see a bean all morning. They've completely done the off. Cheeky little sods. I enjoy the sunrise but by 08:30 its roasting so I go home. Lovely weekend and a nice break from the intensity of my main target water.

I've only managed a 4hr morning session and an overnight session on Saturday just been so far this month. The 4hr session was on my syndicate water and after half hour of looking I found a lot of fish topping 30 yds or so out in front of a particular swim. So got the rods, just the 2 as I was only there for the morning. Launched 2 baits about 80yds and then wound them in to where the fish were showing 30 yds in front of me, lowering them down so making little if any disturbance.  30mins later and left rod goes and netted a decent mirror then the right rod goes straight after. 2 in the net, a 37lb mirror which was a repeat so unhooked and weighed it so the bailiff can keep a check on weights and a 17lb mirror. The disturbance pushed the fish out to about 50 yds so once again launched my bait long and wound them in to the distance the fish were showing.  Another 20mins and left rod goes resulting in a 20lb common. This commotion then pushed the fish further out beyond my reach so called it a day. Good mornings fishing though. 

Then Saturday night I fished my other water for a night, my first night this year. Only 3 anglers on so pretty much the pick of 20 acres of water. I had noticed a lot of fizzing in one swim and it seemed to be moving left to right so jumped 2 swims down anticipating them moving onto me in the night or early hours.  First bite was at 2 am which was a scraper 20. This was followed by 2 takes in 10mins at 8-00am , another scraper 20 and a pretty 23lb mirror.  No pics I'm afraid as it's no publicity. And the morning session I done I had left my camera at home on charge. 😣

Edited by emmcee
Spelling