June catch reports

emmcee

With the syndi closed for spawning it was time for my annual bluebell trip. Jumped on swan for a couple of nights and after spending 24 hrs working out what they were up to I managed to nick a 21 lb mirror and a pukka looking 30 lb common on zigs last night. Lovely jubbly.

For once I can actually post the photos but I'm getting that error 200 message when I try to upload!?!

2 hours ago, yonny said:

With the syndi closed for spawning it was time for my annual bluebell trip. Jumped on swan for a couple of nights and after spending 24 hrs working out what they were up to I managed to nick a 21 lb mirror and a pukka looking 30 lb common on zigs last night. Lovely jubbly.

For once I can actually post the photos but I'm getting that error 200 message when I try to upload!?!

2 hours ago, yonny said:

It worked. Good work that man @muftyboy

Screenshot_20180603-120050_Gallery.jpg

Great result 😎

Well I only went and blooming done it! Had the session of my life Thursday night. Arriving at the lake around 5pm Fishing before work the next day and managed 5 carp. A low 20, 25.6 dark scaly mirror, a 27.14 mirror and the biggest in the pond slate grey, down in weight at 37.4lb. I caught it Friday morning and still can’t stop looking at it! Spent the whole of last year about 20/30 nights for 12 carp. A switch of tactics for this season and in 6 (1st one being a blank) sessions I have had 9 carp 5 being over 20lb (didn’t get anything over 18 last year). 

Absolutely mental it’s all come good. Typically it was only last week on here I was asking about getti a decent camera...

F85A40DC-77D2-438D-9E3A-95626361F392.jpeg

C50BC702-A3E8-4627-AE75-19ACD93E0D7B.jpeg

30E4A20B-4DE4-4796-AB1A-1E7C2870351C.jpeg

357D51D3-9EF4-450F-BA2B-7393CCFC25EE.jpeg

A5D0C1D7-9C41-441F-9543-323EC8D7FDA0.jpeg

18 hours ago, crusian said:

Congratulations Ginger 😃

Are you able to tell us in vague terms how your tactics have changed this year , or will it give too much away ? .

🙂

Sure no problem.

So my standard fishing has always been a balanced half and half boilie on a blow back rig. Usually King Prawn and a Red Mainline fruitella, i love fishing over a bit of bait. Anywhere i had gone previously this has worked well for me. I started my water in December 2016 doing overnighters after work before going back to work the next morning. As usual, dragging a lead around swims trying to find gravel mostly, My first few months contained Tench if anything at all. I remember my first Carp coming in Feb so 2/3 months in the middle of a storm...Cant remember the name of it, Unforntunatly i couldnt fish that particular swim that night because it was in amongst the trees and i didnt want to die.

At that time of year i was convinced that my problems were due to me turning the water into a foam finding spots (which is why i started in winter), the fact that i couldnt see any shows because i was on and off the lake during the hours of darkness and the fact the tench were getting into me before the carp. I had my next fish in May and by the time i was fishing just off the gravel (to avoid the tench) which was working...however its now 5 months in and i only have 2 carp. I was seeing on FB that fish were coming out, but they seemed to be to anglers that were fishing for a few nights, It appeared it was taking fish time to accept the bait. It was around this time i had heard people tell me they didnt like fishy baits, So i packed in the king prawn and i went over to Urban baits. The next session i had 1 then i had another 2 the week after (same swim,same spot) so decided to do a weekend.......I blanked.

In this time one of the bigger fish came out the lake to a guy using....you guessed it! King Prawn! still i had some results, i wasnt changing. I messed about with rig length, with spod mixes but the results had dried up again. But this time its 6 or 7 months in, Whilst i still wasnt seeing much in the evening regards to shows, I was hearing them behind 2 sets of reeds, ! fishable but you would have to be locked up and on your rods, The other, i wouldnt class as fisable unless fishing it from a couple swims down and hoping no one showed up in between.

I found the fish again with Maize and Urban in the spod, With maize tipping the boilie on the hook and even managed to nick one or 2 on a pop up rig (never used 1 before)....but the bites were few and far between, maybe one night i would get 2 then nothing for a month. I finished in January 12 carp in the first year, all doubles. the lake then shut for 3 months for fencing so i moved to an easier lake and decided to have a play around. The swim i had previous success from was an island at 20 wraps, I didnt fancy spodding tight to an island at this range, I was struggling to hit to spot with a rig and mesh PVA bag so i ended up buying a throwing stick and decided i would fish the island with boilies, And because of the distance and way i was smashing the rig out, I moved to Ronnies on a boom, so i started using pop ups again. So through Jan and March i done well on this lake, catching fish in the snow so my confidence was back up, Enough to start playing with Solid bags, whilst i didnt dare smash one 20 wraps (at the time) i was happy to use them over closer spots and caught a few fish.

Now my lake was over again and i had decided, spodding was to much of a pain, its late when i get it out and i cant 100% say its over my rig everytime. On top of that i was wasting loads of it or taking it back home if i didnt feel i should be spodding. Boilie approach wasnt the one due to bird life and PVA Mesh wasnt giving me the confidence. i decided on PVA bags as i wanted a rig that was hidden and in amongst some free offerings. I also decided that im going to fish on the gravel again. First night went by and i didnt have a touch, Back to normal! I had noticed that i hadnt seen another guy using solid bags so thought it was worth a few weeks at least.

Next session i banked one! and my first 20 from this water! i was chuffed, I caught a few tench that night as well the solid bag was working, 1 of my pop ups was working and the tiny Ronnie was working. The next session i caught again, a few tench also followed, I was shattered for work because of the amount of bites from Tench but its fine, Im catching carp aswell so i cant complain. I then went on holiday for a week, and as soon as i got back i went down the lake, banked 2 carp that night, about 6 tench (a few over 9lb) all between 12 and 5.....so i was really tired for work! 1 pop up in particular was doing the business, this pop up isnt sold as a bottom bait....and i think thats helping me!

That brings me to the fish above. a lot of my fishing on this lake has been an education, Before it i had never fished popups, never owned a throwing stick and had never changed rigs much...oh and the solid bags. Looking back on the first season theres a fair bit i would do differently but i have got to the stage on this lake where i feel like i can catch now. I have had 6 sessions since it reopened and 9 carp in the last 5 nights with a couple lost as well.

I have probably done 30 nights ish maybe a few more, 2 weekends (Fri-Sund) the rest being "quick overnighters" after/before work. Im back on there Thursday night but wont be on til 10/11PM and i will be off by 8AM lets hope i can keep the run going as theres plenty of nice fish i wouldnt mind landing!

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

Sure no problem.

So my standard fishing has always been a balanced half and half boilie on a blow back rig. Usually King Prawn and a Red Mainline fruitella, i love fishing over a bit of bait. Anywhere i had gone previously this has worked well for me. I started my water in December 2016 doing overnighters after work before going back to work the next morning. As usual, dragging a lead around swims trying to find gravel mostly, My first few months contained Tench if anything at all. I remember my first Carp coming in Feb so 2/3 months in the middle of a storm...Cant remember the name of it, Unforntunatly i couldnt fish that particular swim that night because it was in amongst the trees and i didnt want to die.

At that time of year i was convinced that my problems were due to me turning the water into a foam finding spots (which is why i started in winter), the fact that i couldnt see any shows because i was on and off the lake during the hours of darkness and the fact the tench were getting into me before the carp. I had my next fish in May and by the time i was fishing just off the gravel (to avoid the tench) which was working...however its now 5 months in and i only have 2 carp. I was seeing on FB that fish were coming out, but they seemed to be to anglers that were fishing for a few nights, It appeared it was taking fish time to accept the bait. It was around this time i had heard people tell me they didnt like fishy baits, So i packed in the king prawn and i went over to Urban baits. The next session i had 1 then i had another 2 the week after (same swim,same spot) so decided to do a weekend.......I blanked.

In this time one of the bigger fish came out the lake to a guy using....you guessed it! King Prawn! still i had some results, i wasnt changing. I messed about with rig length, with spod mixes but the results had dried up again. But this time its 6 or 7 months in, Whilst i still wasnt seeing much in the evening regards to shows, I was hearing them behind 2 sets of reeds, ! fishable but you would have to be locked up and on your rods, The other, i wouldnt class as fisable unless fishing it from a couple swims down and hoping no one showed up in between.

I found the fish again with Maize and Urban in the spod, With maize tipping the boilie on the hook and even managed to nick one or 2 on a pop up rig (never used 1 before)....but the bites were few and far between, maybe one night i would get 2 then nothing for a month. I finished in January 12 carp in the first year, all doubles. the lake then shut for 3 months for fencing so i moved to an easier lake and decided to have a play around. The swim i had previous success from was an island at 20 wraps, I didnt fancy spodding tight to an island at this range, I was struggling to hit to spot with a rig and mesh PVA bag so i ended up buying a throwing stick and decided i would fish the island with boilies, And because of the distance and way i was smashing the rig out, I moved to Ronnies on a boom, so i started using pop ups again. So through Jan and March i done well on this lake, catching fish in the snow so my confidence was back up, Enough to start playing with Solid bags, whilst i didnt dare smash one 20 wraps (at the time) i was happy to use them over closer spots and caught a few fish.

Now my lake was over again and i had decided, spodding was to much of a pain, its late when i get it out and i cant 100% say its over my rig everytime. On top of that i was wasting loads of it or taking it back home if i didnt feel i should be spodding. Boilie approach wasnt the one due to bird life and PVA Mesh wasnt giving me the confidence. i decided on PVA bags as i wanted a rig that was hidden and in amongst some free offerings. I also decided that im going to fish on the gravel again. First night went by and i didnt have a touch, Back to normal! I had noticed that i hadnt seen another guy using solid bags so thought it was worth a few weeks at least.

Next session i banked one! and my first 20 from this water! i was chuffed, I caught a few tench that night as well the solid bag was working, 1 of my pop ups was working and the tiny Ronnie was working. The next session i caught again, a few tench also followed, I was shattered for work because of the amount of bites from Tench but its fine, Im catching carp aswell so i cant complain. I then went on holiday for a week, and as soon as i got back i went down the lake, banked 2 carp that night, about 6 tench (a few over 9lb) all between 12 and 5.....so i was really tired for work! 1 pop up in particular was doing the business, this pop up isnt sold as a bottom bait....and i think thats helping me!

That brings me to the fish above. a lot of my fishing on this lake has been an education, Before it i had never fished popups, never owned a throwing stick and had never changed rigs much...oh and the solid bags. Looking back on the first season theres a fair bit i would do differently but i have got to the stage on this lake where i feel like i can catch now. I have had 6 sessions since it reopened and 9 carp in the last 5 nights with a couple lost as well.

I have probably done 30 nights ish maybe a few more, 2 weekends (Fri-Sund) the rest being "quick overnighters" after/before work. Im back on there Thursday night but wont be on til 10/11PM and i will be off by 8AM lets hope i can keep the run going as theres plenty of nice fish i wouldnt mind landing!

Thanks very much Ginger for your fulsome reply .

I was delighted to see the 'photos of your last session , you deserved your success ; I'm just not " hungry " enough to do quick overnighters like you do .

😃