Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

On 01/02/2023 at 23:03, commonly said:

So, I lost my dad today. Knew it was coming, old buggar kept going for a few more months than was expected. Heavy drinker and smoker. Liver packed up, blah, blah! 

I didn't think it would bother me, but when I look back, the good times were few and far between. He took me fishing for the first time and I will always remember that, fondly. Not that he was an angler. I got into it and he was wasn't, always too busy at work to go, etc.

So, I suppose I have to be grateful for the introduction to one of my few passions in life. 

Life is for living and none of us know how long we have??? 

I recently dug out a post from 2019 when life was kind of normal, Carp.Com social@ horseshoe lake.

It would be good to have an event to look forward to, so I ask the regulars, are you up for a social? 

Enjoy gents, best wishes to you and your families 

Sorry about your loss mate. 

As for the social il have to decline sadly 😔 what with my own fishing and with my mates… oh and work just to hard to fit everything in…. But if I win the lottery you lot can fish my own lake any time you want.  

1 hour ago, B B said:

Forget your plate  ?

Yep 😂

It was one of those silly handle pots and the handle just stopped holding it and over she went 

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Can you pizza or curry delivered? 

Fingers crossed for you buddy

Luckily I was a bit flustered after the school run when i went to the Co op and bought too much so i had Paninis instead 

Coconut macaroon hobnobs ain't bad either 

11 minutes ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

2 second rule?😅

Nah you never know what's been there before me lol 

4 hours ago, commonly said:

Nice one Ian. 

I will do my best and probably ask you for some guidance. 

I'm sure one of the carp society guys messaged last time. He was able to get us on Horseshoe

That was Andy Wilkinson aka Andy52. He and I are friends on Facebook. Would you like me to drop him a message to see if he's still a bailiff at Horseshoe?

Ian.

Yes, that's right mate. 

I love fishing venues that feel a bit special. That place has its own story and I think it would be a fitting venue, if we can get the  numbers. 

That said, I'd be open to sensible suggestions. 

My thinking is early autumn. September/October?? 

2 minutes ago, commonly said:

Yes, that's right mate. 

I love fishing venues that feel a bit special. That place has its own story and I think it would be a fitting venue, if we can get the  numbers. 

That said, I'd be open to sensible suggestions. 

My thinking is early autumn. September/October?? 

I've messaged Andy, asked him to look in on here with any advice he can offer. I've done Horseshoe several times and it's a bit special! I've mentioned all this to my son Alan and he's well up for it. oh, and your proposed dates would be fine with both of us.

Ian.

12 hours ago, B B said:

As long as you don’t hungry 👍

Hows the weather ?

Its not been bad still feels a tad chilly 

11 hours ago, crusian said:

Thank goodness the Hobnobs survived 😁 .

I wouldn't want to bump into a hungry Elmo in the night , worse than Homer Simpson with no beer 😱 .

Oh just an after thought , how's the fishing going ? 🤔.

The hob nobs haven't survived I ate them 😂

Belgian bun for breakfast now, then a steady pack down, 

Fishing wise don't think I fished like a total cretin, found a couple of nice smooth spots, got 2 on solid bags and one on a ronnie, baiting wasn't terrible I was fishing distance @16 wraps 😳😂 all freshened up at first light but still no carps, if I blank its been nice to be here, and I learnt stuff, 

Edited by elmoputney

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Its not been bad still feels a tad chilly 

The hob nobs haven't survived I ate them 😂

Belgian bun for breakfast now, then a steady pack down, 

Fishing wise don't think I fished like a total cretin, found a couple of nice smooth spots, got 2 on solid bags and one on a ronnie, baiting wasn't terrible I was fishing distance @16 wraps 😳😂 all freshened up at first light but still no carps, if I blank its been nice to be here, and I learnt stuff, 

Well glad you enjoyed the trip and coming away learning a bit 👍 

21 minutes ago, B B said:

Well glad you enjoyed the trip and coming away learning a bit 👍 

Blanked never stop learning,

I did a pack down time trial, 36 mins from mess to car,this can be beaten too with better organising and thinning of accessories etc, when I got home I immediately then went on to mention about my work overnighter plan as it is going to be busy at weekends , didn't go too badly I don't think i need to be fishing regularly to make it count this year, Sunday night prebait drop in tuesday sounds like a winner to me 😂🥇

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I did a pack down time trial, 36 mins from mess to car,this can be beaten too with better organising and thinning of accessories etc, when I got home I immediately then went on to mention about my work overnighter plan as it is going to be busy at weekends , didn't go too badly I don't think i need to be fishing regularly to make it count this year, Sunday night prebait drop in tuesday sounds like a winner to me 😂🥇

What about your Bivvy Pole Screws , Elmo ? .

Your work overnighter plan sounds a good balance of your family time , and " me " time , but hard work for an old bloke like me .

😃 

19 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I did a fair few work over nighters and totally messed them up. I was always in a rush to set up and I'd never go further than half way up the lake to save a long walk back to the car park in the morning (not ideal when more often than not the fish were up the other end). 

So as with any session, don't rush and find them  first or you are just  wasting  your time in my opinion.  I'd pack up in the morning saying to myself "at least you got some bait in" 🤣

I've been off Topic for last week or 2, without sounding selfless, I've been in my own bubble.

A good close friend took his own life 2 Fridays ago, he was in a bad place.....

He'd been on sick for a while...got Covid, then long Covid, then needed surgery on his heart, then his wife left him, then got sectioned, then had a melt down, and then his wife found him at home, he had hung himself in the garage.

Funny thing is, I was with him the night before and seemed absolutely fine and joking around.

Homelike is OK, but Wife can see I'm not myself.....

Work, getting to monotonous now, and I'm looking elsewhere. 

So, now I'm just focusing on myself and Family, when I can get out I will (this Friday) and just relax myself.

Saturday our 11Yr wedding anniversary,  Monday little 13th Birthday. 

Then look forward to the 25th n 25th Feb @ the Northern Carp Show.

4 hours ago, Highy said:

I've been off Topic for last week or 2, without sounding selfless, I've been in my own bubble.

He'd been on sick for a while...got Covid, then long Covid, then needed surgery on his heart, then his wife left him, then got sectioned, then had a melt down, and then his wife found him at home, he had hung himself in the garage.

Funny thing is, I was with him the night before and seemed absolutely fine and joking around.

So, now I'm just focusing on myself and Family, when I can get out I will (this Friday) and just relax myself.

Oh that's awful , Highy .

Get some " me time " , and get out on Friday as you say 😃 .

A new job sounds good as well .

5 hours ago, Highy said:

Not great mate. When I lost my brother it was my wife and children that stopped me going bonkers (only after a 2 wk bender) 🙄🙄

Focus on the important things in life and try and remember the good times….. easier said than done but the old ‘time is a great healer’ really is true mate.

Chin up matey.

7 hours ago, Highy said:

Not surprised youve been in your own bubble. Tough times indeed but family certainly helps as does some you time at the lakeside. Also don't ever be afraid to talk to someone if you're affected by your friends passing.  

One of my closest mates has been battling cancer for the last 2yrs. Things seemed to be going well but it's now come back and it has attached itself to his cartoid artery at the base of his skull (the blood supply to the brain) and its now incurable. Chances are he won't make the summer. 

So definitely focus on yourself and your nearest and dearest. Fishing is a great escape but so is being around loved ones, make the most of both. 

11 hours ago, Highy said:

That is sad Highy and a mate to…best to think of the good times with him Iv found that helps….keep busy, get fishing…. But no buying more fishing gear you got enough 😉