Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

• 2 weeks later...

and they are open so i'm out monday all hi tech redneck with my deeper gonna have to get a mouth harp. 

Fred is awesome a proper carp dog still keep him on a lead but he could go off lead as he follows me everywhere and strangers can walk up and fuss him, he just looks a bit off putting.

me and a old mate was talking on fb earlier, reminded me of when he got me into boxing proper old irish trainer wouldn't let me on the speed bag was worried it would knock me out lol. 

me n fred in deep thpught about our future on ecton just got turned down for a bit of poaching, did offer to pay the diff, beyond gutted, opens the lake for the weekend anglers i can't fish weekends it is something i have to stick too. Pretty much just told the guy where to put his ticket, opens for the weekend then closes in the week till next weekend, see what happens, either way   i will be on there when they next weekday open, just don't expect me to be civil for the rest of the year. opens at the weekend then closes in the week for spawning and fish welfare? ... the other one really has got bells on, pull that. 

image.jpg

oh incase anyone thinks i'm being a bit selfish, yeah just a bit, got three kilo of fresh bait sitting in a bucket all thawed gluged and powdered, an easy 50 notes, i will re freeze it but you know how it is, got it out sunday morning to defrost in a nice glug of shrimp extract and liver powder, got no money for day tickets so it's either refreeze or bin. 

offered over a week ago to pay extra to get on the other lakes, never heard nothing back. i'm really not short of options for big fish waters, i could of used the same money for a summer on bluebells mid-week angling or any number of other lakes that are near empty mid-week. ecton will be a one year for me, there must be stacks of mid week anglers waiting for a ticket, where as all other lakes seem to be near empty midweek.  hate having my time wasted. 

Back in dear old Blighty, after sunning my buns with wifey in Malta, basking in 30c heat and snorkelling every day watching mullet, bream, moray eels et al… now packing the work bag, what a difference a day makes! The time away helped me realise that I’m in the wrong job!

just like last year, only difference is they are telling the truth and calling out otters, they blamed dogs last year, i took them apart on it on their twitter page last year, linked my MP in due to her being slightly pro hunt believe it or not. My main bone of annoyance was they were blaming dogs where i sometimes walk mine, have not took fred up but used to take my pattie, i knew it wasn't dogs, unless they mean dog otters. they are gutted to have to admit it, got told straight blame another dog and i will come up and take the time to prove it's not a dog, they would look real silly then seems they are meant to be experts. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/cygnets-killed-ryton-pools-country-24236263?fbclid=IwAR3MYpO6PQHxowUqKRC_m9AFzws3qBCB3eZqetfhQO351fdGNKKlgECyjgo

noticed these weird charity groups that run wildlife areas are very anti dog. 

anyhow here's fred doing what he was made for silently waiting for the rat to get to close, the rat flew into the pond when fred first bolted him, this is fred waiting for him to come back. proper all round terrier picks things up real fast. not a sound never get a even a yip out of him when he is in the zone.

20220614_223642.jpg

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

just like last year, only difference is they are telling the truth and calling out otters, they blamed dogs last year, i took them apart on it on their twitter page last year, linked my MP in due to her being slightly pro hunt believe it or not. My main bone of annoyance was they were blaming dogs where i sometimes walk mine, have not took fred up but used to take my pattie, i knew it wasn't dogs, unless they mean dog otters. they are gutted to have to admit it, got told straight blame another dog and i will come up and take the time to prove it's not a dog, they would look real silly then seems they are meant to be experts. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/cygnets-killed-ryton-pools-country-24236263?fbclid=IwAR3MYpO6PQHxowUqKRC_m9AFzws3qBCB3eZqetfhQO351fdGNKKlgECyjgo

noticed these weird charity groups that run wildlife areas are very anti dog. 

anyhow here's fred doing what he was made for silently waiting for the rat to get to close, the rat flew into the pond when fred first bolted him, this is fred waiting for him to come back. proper all round terrier picks things up real fast. not a sound never get a even a yip out of him when he is in the zone.

20220614_223642.jpg

We have a local version of that, they just get stories off Facebook and make things up all the time, local equivalent of the daily mail basically 

On my last trip, I lost a good fish and when I reeled it, I found that the trace had snapped at the knot after the swivel. The lake I fished isn't easy and one chance in 24 hours is a result and then to lose it was a kick in the nuts. I tested all the rigs in my wallet and one failed quite easily but the others survived a good yanking with a couple of puller tools.

I have been using olivettes to pin down my main line but since buying the bait boat, it does cause the line to sink a bit too much. I went back to using a 30 foot fluoro leader on the mono so everything near the hook should be pinned down without the drama's of using fluoro all the way through. As fluoro can be a bit temperamental, I put the hook through the gridding on my barrow and gave the line a good pull to try to iron out the inherent coiling the flouro likes to do. On one rod, the line snapped without too much pressure. I was convinced it would be the back to back grinner but when I checked, it had gone a foot above on the mono. I must have nicked it putting it in the holdall and created the weakness.

I used to check every rod before casting it out but fell out of the habit. Today's thought is to check everything is sound before you lose that fish.

3 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I used to check every rod before casting it out but fell out of the habit. Today's thought is to check everything is sound before you lose that fish.

Have done the same mate, fall in to the routine and just go "it'll all be fine, no worries" and then it costs you. Always worth spending 5 mins checking everything

10 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I did chuckle at the release of the " one more cast " long distance hook beads 🙈😂

You say that mate but I've genuinely struggled previously with beads moving at 100+ with foam. I've already got hold of some of these OMC jobbies and they're decent.

Korda and Avid copied them within a couple of months which tells me that the old style (shorter) beads will be obsolete by this time next year. So while I appreciate they might not add value for you, I consider this to be a decent example of OMC being ahead of the curve in terms of development/innovation, no matter how minor that innovation might be.

I had a problem and this product solved it so I have to give credit.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

You say that mate but I've genuinely struggled previously with beads moving at 100+ with foam. I've already got hold of some of these OMC jobbies and they're decent.

Korda and Avid copied them within a couple of months which tells me that the old style (shorter) beads will be obsolete by this time next year. So while I appreciate they might not add value for you, I consider this to be a decent example of OMC being ahead of the curve in terms of development/innovation, no matter how minor that innovation might be.

I had a problem and this product solved it so I have to give credit.

I've not had that trouble mate ,  the ones I use are hard enough to get on , they never move . But if they've solved a problem for you then its all good . 👍

On 22/06/2022 at 09:52, Golden Paws said:

On my last trip, I lost a good fish and when I reeled it, I found that the trace had snapped at the knot after the swivel. The lake I fished isn't easy and one chance in 24 hours is a result and then to lose it was a kick in the nuts. I tested all the rigs in my wallet and one failed quite easily but the others survived a good yanking with a couple of puller tools.

I have been using olivettes to pin down my main line but since buying the bait boat, it does cause the line to sink a bit too much. I went back to using a 30 foot fluoro leader on the mono so everything near the hook should be pinned down without the drama's of using fluoro all the way through. As fluoro can be a bit temperamental, I put the hook through the gridding on my barrow and gave the line a good pull to try to iron out the inherent coiling the flouro likes to do. On one rod, the line snapped without too much pressure. I was convinced it would be the back to back grinner but when I checked, it had gone a foot above on the mono. I must have nicked it putting it in the holdall and created the weakness.

Firstly let me say, sorry to hear you lost a good fish, secondly I fish I dont play at it so my words come from true experience.

I have had the same fluoro on my reels for years and not months, I get no "drama's of using fluoro" I dont find "fluoro can be a bit temperamental" and definitely no " inherent coiling the flouro" so you have me confused by your statements.

Rigs are always tested before use, but I have every faith in my rigs! and my mainline, I have not lost a fish through tackle failure in many years.

Edited by levigsp

I've used a few brands of fluoro and they are more difficult to manage than mono's. They do tend to bed in with use and become more manageable over time. I was giving my leader a good stretch the other day as I find that it does behave better. I switched over to using pure fluorocarbon on my last trip as I was bait-boating the rig out but when I got home I took it off again! Using a leader does give you the benefit of a heavy invisible line near the rig but without some of the drama's associated with fluoro.

On 24/06/2022 at 11:05, Golden Paws said:

I've used a few brands of fluoro and they are more difficult to manage than mono's. They do tend to bed in with use and become more manageable over time. I was giving my leader a good stretch the other day as I find that it does behave better. I switched over to using pure fluorocarbon on my last trip as I was bait-boating the rig out but when I got home I took it off again! Using a leader does give you the benefit of a heavy invisible line near the rig but without some of the drama's associated with fluoro.

What is this Drama? and whats the heavy clear leader made from? I am genuinely confused, so please enlighten me.

Perhaps that bit wasn't clear. I also use a Korda safezone leader (made from 30lb fluoro that is very heavy and abrasion resistant and keeps the last metre pinned down.) I was attaching this to my mono and using olivettes to keep another metre of line pinned down. As I used a bait boat on my last trip, the olivettes were dragging behind and so I changed over to my spare spools of line loaded with fluorocarbon on them. The stuff has been used for quite a few previous trips but the inherent wiriness puts me off. When I first put the stuff on the reels, the stuff was literally leaping off the spools. I had quite a few wind knots on casting for the next few trips that you rarely get with mono.

When I got home from my last trip, I put the mono spool back on the rods. To help pin the line down and without using olivettes, I attached about 30 foot of 20lb fluoro after the safezone leader. I was stretching it as it behaves better as there is less coiling. That way I get some of the benefits but reduce some of the problems. You do introduce a weak spot with the joining knot and when playing a fish, the clatter as the knot passes through the rings always gives you the jitters.

Most people have a love hate relationship with fluoro. Love it heaviness, invisibility, lower stretch and abrasion resistance but hate its tendency to coil and casting is restricted compared to mono.

I used fluro for years on all reels only stopped due to the blue dye stuff they use for the weed looks like a laser pointer in that stuff, Tiger line is fantastic, the fox illusion is ok but i think i may off loaded it wrong, did the spool sticker side up and it seemed of but it still behaves like a slinky if you open the bail arm and give slack. does sink nice though just need to give it extra time to settle before setting your bobbins. 

18 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Perhaps that bit wasn't clear. I also use a Korda safezone leader (made from 30lb fluoro that is very heavy and abrasion resistant and keeps the last metre pinned down.) I was attaching this to my mono and using olivettes to keep another metre of line pinned down. As I used a bait boat on my last trip, the olivettes were dragging behind and so I changed over to my spare spools of line loaded with fluorocarbon on them. The stuff has been used for quite a few previous trips but the inherent wiriness puts me off. When I first put the stuff on the reels, the stuff was literally leaping off the spools. I had quite a few wind knots on casting for the next few trips that you rarely get with mono.

When I got home from my last trip, I put the mono spool back on the rods. To help pin the line down and without using olivettes, I attached about 30 foot of 20lb fluoro after the safezone leader. I was stretching it as it behaves better as there is less coiling. That way I get some of the benefits but reduce some of the problems. You do introduce a weak spot with the joining knot and when playing a fish, the clatter as the knot passes through the rings always gives you the jitters.

Most people have a love hate relationship with fluoro. Love it heaviness, invisibility, lower stretch and abrasion resistance but hate its tendency to coil and casting is restricted compared to mono.

So your issue is poor fluoro,.

My suggestion is to buy good quality, I know it costs, but its worth it. I have used Tigerline now for years and It cast well enough,120-130 no issue , if I need further I use bait boat.    It does not coil any more than any mono I have used, but I do stretch it out every no and then and wipe it down with a soapy cloth. 

It needs nothing to pin it down, its abrasion resistance is second to none and its knot strength is unbeatable, hence why I was confused with your comments.

• 2 weeks later...

when you have the members of LACS and similar questioning the 2004 hunting act over on twitter and admitting they see a need for environmental management as they call it, got them down to dog or gun, action taken to prevent a problem or wait until the need for intervention is plain to see.  lot of insults from the rank and file. some of them seem to think hunting is banned , oh deer they really are miss imformed when you bung a few at them. 

damn fred is going to get me beat up he upset a staffy owner the other week, his mrs just had a pop at me due to fred not being the jack russell that he is, he towers above their staffy, i don't even let fred off his lead. he is really nice with nice dogs but he loves fighting that's why he stays on lead? not a lot else i can do really they were fine the other week when the staffy ran at him, fred bolted it damn dog went into warp drive through the woods bloke chasing it. he does look like a pitbull or at least what most call a pitbull, he is a fox terrier or jack russell  he has no bully in him as a defining feature his climbing skills alone should tell you that, pure terrier. 

• 1 month later...