May catch reports................

smufter

First time out in absolutely ages  so really happy to have caught.  Think Nick could of been right in the interactive thread & they were preoccupied with pre spawning, also millions of tadpoles didn't help lol . I picked up an old member off here on the way who is also a member of the syndi , & without saying anything before hand we both came yo the same conclusion after the session ....... need to get on the adjustable zigs . Think if i would of been fishing 16ft - 18 ft zigs  might of had a better chance of another fish 

Caught on a 13ft zig 

20180516_173221.thumb.jpg.5e66a8a0f84d079961ef219d4a39a8d1.jpg

I headed out on my last session on the estate lake for the foreseeable future in thursday. 90% sure I won’t be renewing my ticket for next year. I’ve done my bit there. As the youth say “completed it mate”. I was fishing Thursday to Saturday and wanted to make the most of it, but really did a lot less rod hours that I should have done. I messed about on the boat with the bailiff collection rigs from the island on Thursday afternoon and friday I spent hours after a surface caught fish with no joy. 

I had one on Thursday night, moved swims at 4am and then had 2 the Friday evening, with a final fish coming in the early hours of Saturday morning. 3 to my homemade pop ups, the other on a responsive baits Code pop up. Here they are...

046810D0-3939-4AE0-8829-FC043E5ACE88.jpeg

2BDA19AD-D3CD-469E-990F-5C63409539A2.jpeg

DD616E74-4B50-4C4E-86CC-B1242D7E09C2.jpeg

4BCEB5FE-30E5-4026-B7E8-E3910C678546.jpeg

Managed a day today, strange one.

Bromeswell Lakes, out near Woodbridge. Thought what the heck, I mostly wanted to sleep, so fill it in with particles on 1 rod, test the 8mm soaked wooden balls on there.

The 2nd rod, warm day, can't be bothered to surface fish per se so fish a surface zig, lazy, stick rod on buzzer.

Arrived around 9, so got sorted etc. A group of lds at the end of the point hooked a decent fish, so Al reels in to help. It's one of them's first fishing trip ever, and after taking some advice had hooked a double figure carp on the surface. 

Around 13.00 right hand rod goes, followed by a hookpull, not happy, but the balls work. Rebait, fresh top up of groundbait, PVA mesh bag put on top.

14.00 Zig goes, 5lb hookline goes as it gets into a bundle of tree roots that I had trimmed back in autumn. 

All quiet, couple of recasts, both rods, finally about 17.00 the zig goes, followed by a nice little common, 7lb. 18.00 off goes the zig again, this time double common. 30 minutes later the twitches on the particles stop, and a proper mirror carp of around 5 comes in.

Al managed 4 on surface fished bread, biggest maybe 6.

Males were still holding spawning tubercles, so I don't think they've finished yet!

8 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Managed a day today, strange one.

Bromeswell Lakes, out near Woodbridge. Thought what the heck, I mostly wanted to sleep, so fill it in with particles on 1 rod, test the 8mm soaked wooden balls on there.

The 2nd rod, warm day, can't be bothered to surface fish per se so fish a surface zig, lazy, stick rod on buzzer.

Arrived around 9, so got sorted etc. A group of lds at the end of the point hooked a decent fish, so Al reels in to help. It's one of them's first fishing trip ever, and after taking some advice had hooked a double figure carp on the surface. 

Around 13.00 right hand rod goes, followed by a hookpull, not happy, but the balls work. Rebait, fresh top up of groundbait, PVA mesh bag put on top.

14.00 Zig goes, 5lb hookline goes as it gets into a bundle of tree roots that I had trimmed back in autumn. 

All quiet, couple of recasts, both rods, finally about 17.00 the zig goes, followed by a nice little common, 7lb. 18.00 off goes the zig again, this time double common. 30 minutes later the twitches on the particles stop, and a proper mirror carp of around 5 comes in.

Al managed 4 on surface fished bread, biggest maybe 6.

Males were still holding spawning tubercles, so I don't think they've finished yet!

Great that you got out , Nick , and you enjoyed yourself .

😊

Really struggling last couple of weeks .

Granted I'm only doing 4 - 5 hour sessions once or twice a week but it's just not happening.

Had them all over me on the top last night but just couldn't get them to take properly.

They were just nudging all the baits instead of mouthing them.

Proper frustrating.

Edited by muftyboy

1 hour ago, muftyboy said:

Really struggling last couple of weeks .

Granted I'm only doing 4 - 5 hour sessions once or twice a week but it's just not happening.

Had them all over me on the top last night but just couldn't get them to take properly.

They were just nudging all the baits instead of mouthing them.

Proper frustrating.

I’ve had them being like that on a few lakes mufty. A zig just under the surface seems to get a take far more times than a floater. Especially if feeding riser pellet over them. 

At the Clearwater open day the weekend before last, all the lads were struggling to get one off the top. The fish were all over the shop but taking very sporadically, so hard to concentrate them. I grabbed a rod, put an adjustable out, 2 inches down. Had one almost instantly! I told my mate before doing it, that I thought it would pick one off. It was as if they didn’t want to tip up that final last bit to take a floater but were happy moppping up the riser pellets that were hanging around just under the surface. 

I had had the same on my last two visits to my lake. Also seen it at churn pool. Phil will testify to how well stalking them with zigs worked!!! 

16 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

I’ve had them being like that on a few lakes mufty. A zig just under the surface seems to get a take far more times than a floater. Especially if feeding riser pellet over them. 

At the Clearwater open day the weekend before last, all the lads were struggling to get one off the top. The fish were all over the shop but taking very sporadically, so hard to concentrate them. I grabbed a rod, put an adjustable out, 2 inches down. Had one almost instantly! I told my mate before doing it, that I thought it would pick one off. It was as if they didn’t want to tip up that final last bit to take a floater but were happy moppping up the riser pellets that were hanging around just under the surface. 

I had had the same on my last two visits to my lake. Also seen it at churn pool. Phil will testify to how well stalking them with zigs worked!!! 

I did try a zig about 6- 8 inches below but nothing.

Might of been a bit crude though.

It was just a chopped down pop up on a size 8 mixer hook.

Smallest I had .

I'm going to my dads caravan at the weekend so I'll have a play around with the adjustable zigs and refine my approach a bit.

Cheers Nige.

Size 8’s are fine for zigs. 

at churn, I couldn’t get a bite on a static zig. It wasn’t until I put an adjustable on and moved it to exactly where it needed it o be for a take. 3 inches to high or low, would result with n no pick up. Literally, an inch does make a difference. It was an eye opening day that’s for sure. I learnt loads watching them and how they react to zigs. 

41 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Size 8’s are fine for zigs. 

at churn, I couldn’t get a bite on a static zig. It wasn’t until I put an adjustable on and moved it to exactly where it needed it o be for a take. 3 inches to high or low, would result with n no pick up. Literally, an inch does make a difference. It was an eye opening day that’s for sure. I learnt loads watching them and how they react to zigs. 

So would you start high up and work your way down or the opposite mate. 

I've got a couple of adjustable zig kits that I haven't used yet.

8 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

4 short nights and and 5 carp now, getting this lake pieced together.

this session I had 2 17lb commons, lost 1 just before leaving. 2 9lb tench a few at 8lb and some smaller. About 7 or 8 fish landed in total from 8pm to 8am. Solid bags doing the damage.

6069474B-CF64-4DC3-95A8-A11EF709A8CC.jpeg

045DD201-03C3-41AD-86C8-3F1A1BB60F8D.jpeg

64AB73C5-60FD-463F-86C8-D82628DE1B90.jpeg

As Cyborx says .

Also those Tench would be big  in Suffolk , but I believe in Essex you would be looking at doubles ? .

😃

20 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

So would you start high up and work your way down or the opposite mate. 

I've got a couple of adjustable zig kits that I haven't used yet.

If I saw them near the surface, backs out or just under, I would start from the top down. But the best thing about adjustables is that you can cover all depths with one cast! 

If you were fishing a spot that was 10ft deep and tied a rig to be an inch or two under the surface, the next cast could land in a divot or on a lump, meaning you could be 6inch down or up from where you thought you were, or even a foot or two out! How many swims do you fish that are a dead level bottom! 

When I do fish fixed zigs, I always start at the longest I think the fish are. It’s easier to cut down than add on! As I say though, when it’s critical to be just below the surface, an adjustable is the only way to go to be sure. Even in shallow lakes. 

21 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

If I saw them near the surface, backs out or just under, I would start from the top down. But the best thing about adjustables is that you can cover all depths with one cast! 

If you were fishing a spot that was 10ft deep and tied a rig to be an inch or two under the surface, the next cast could land in a divot or on a lump, meaning you could be 6inch down or up from where you thought you were, or even a foot or two out! How many swims do you fish that are a dead level bottom! 

When I do fish fixed zigs, I always start at the longest I think the fish are. It’s easier to cut down than add on! As I say though, when it’s critical to be just below the surface, an adjustable is the only way to go to be sure. Even in shallow lakes. 

Cheers mate. 

Gonna give it a proper go.

Well at least more than 2 hours like I normally do lol.