Pop-up advice....

smufter

7 minutes ago, smufter said:

blooming hell! I thought you were going to give me a rollocking 

:o

LOL! Not this time mate:D

I've used them myself as well as his GTX cork balls. Real good hook baits buddy, particularly in spring. Matt is also very helpful when it comes to sourcing special or rarer flavours/additives!

1 minute ago, chillfactor said:

When it comes to pop ups ... I don't go anywhere without a tub of scent from hell & heaven , & can I politely suggest that your all mad for not doing the same :D

Banging recipe (especially the Hell's with all that butyric) but I found the buoyancy was absolutely rubbish mate!

4 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

They do 24 + hours mate No probs .

They also are perfect for the Ronnie set a size 4 perfectly :wink:

I found over 24 hrs the rig ring will lie flat on the deck where they're suspended when you first whack them out. But I'm really particular about my buoyancy (too particular probably). Those Hell's absolutely stink don't they!!

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I like them! Those shapes are awesome, could well totally trick the carp!

You talked me into it.

Had the last pot @ £6.99 delivered.

Got the white ones too.........maggot flavour. You never know, do you?????

On your head be it if I blank though.

:lol:

Edited by smufter

5 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Is your water clear smufter ?  I can't see the point in those pop-ups more to catch the fishermen than the fish I suspect ...

Nope. A bit murky and a load (and I do mean a LOAD) of leaf litter on the bottom.

Lighter baits have always worked well at the Cottage. You can't get much lighter than those jobbies lol!

For £6.99 I haven't wasted a lot if they don't work. Got to be worth popping one out on my "sleeper" rod, you never know!

2 hours ago, smufter said:

They also offer "orb" boilie bottom baits.....:lol::lol::lol:

Bit different, and I would imagine harder to eject.

Boilies.jpg

Makes looping and tying them on the hair easier😉

The ridge will hold the loop nicely

I've often wondered how much do the fish feed by sight rather than smelling out the baits,  I do wonder if it's more of a curious pick up rather than attracting as something tasty to eat . on the lake I am fishing this time of year bright light coloured baits work quite well, but as the year gos on the darker colours seem to do better .. it's quite a clear water you can see down 2-3foot .

Edited by cloud9

1 hour ago, cloud9 said:

I've often wondered how much do the fish feed by sight rather than smelling out the baits,  I do wonder if it's more of a curious pick up rather than attracting as something tasty to eat .

It's a never ending debate, I'm not sure if we will ever really know outside of a gut feel; what seems to be the case and works one day might not work the next or seem to be something else.

Fishing would soon get boring if we did know everything, most of my enjoyment is the chase (including dabbling in the bait quest) rather than the capture.

7 hours ago, smufter said:

Nope. A bit murky and a load (and I do mean a LOAD) of leaf litter on the bottom.

Lighter baits have always worked well at the Cottage. You can't get much lighter than those jobbies lol!

For £6.99 I haven't wasted a lot if they don't work. Got to be worth popping one out on my "sleeper" rod, you never know!

not as if you went and bought a rod is it :lol:

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The number of fish I have caught on pop-ups on certain waters, I have lost count.

One of my favourite winter runs waters, until I got a bait established, almost every fish came on pop-ups, and the flavour would change in winter almost every week. Some weeks it was Pineapple N-Butyric, others Green Zing, sometimes bright pink Squid and Octopus, sometimes high visibility orange Monster Crab, and on a week session for 3/4 days on Garlic Spice in burgundy colour until the food bait kicked in.

On Trimley top lake I caught the first 20 caught from there and another cracking double from a quiet leaf lined corner on Trigga pop-ups on a D-rig, popped up a couple of inches. 

The local park lake, popped up sweetcorn fished stack style, 2 real grains topped with 2 fake pieces, popped up half an inch off the bottom, over a bed of Vitalin, and in winter Pineapple N-Butyric would produce fish when all else was blanking.

To say pop-ups are a waste of time is tunnel vision; some waters particles and or nuts are banned (and for good reason), at times high visibility or over flavoured pop-ups produce when the bottom baits don't catch 'owt. Maybe there is too much uneaten bait on the bottom, maybe bottom baits get covered in silt, maybe the fish don't want to dig into silt, whereas a bait on top of it will produce.

Even Nazeing, although I mostly catch on double bottom baits or snowman set-ups, peanuts and tiger nuts are banned, I have caught fish on pop-ups. 

I think both pop-ups and bottom baits have their best times, best lakes, even best swims, or just push fish into an inquisitive take anywhere.

I've bought over a post from 'Who Still?' by Chillfactor as this answer really cover the same points on pop-ups as it does on bottom baits. 

In my quoted post above, I mention Thwaite, as my runs water that produced fish in almost every weather. At times pop-ups were the only thing that would produce, despite trying beds of bait, on what had been a carp match anglers 'paradise' until the fish grew too big in a snag lined lake for match anglers to deal with them.

Yet most of the time, from spring onwards, carp would come over bait. 10kg of Vitalin for 24 hours was not too much! As November came on, it was back to pop-up time.

Each of us have our favourite pop-up rigs, Multi Rig, D-rig, Swimmer rig, or goodness knows how many other variations. With the possible exception of the Multi rig, I would think that many are based on a final D-rig that is something like 35years old!

I am not saying they are all the same before anyone jumps on my comment, although I would like to be reminded of any differences.

The thing is any standard bottom bait rig can be used for pop-ups, only thing needed is a counterweight, and usually a shorter hair😉

Have we overcomplicated things or are some of the additions really beneficial?