Pop-up advice....

smufter

3 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

similar to the reverse combi rig i use for my pop ups, i have been putting the weight at the start of the stripped back braid making some of the braid stand up, gives a nice natural movement in the water, think i could of done with something closer to the deck this past week though.

I like that idea, using a bit of vertical braid for the rotation. I'm imagining the curve of the stuff section and it's rigidity (25lb bristle filament so v stiff) on being sucked in should turn OK. The weights sit nicely over the knot too and stop it picking up silkweed which loves clinging to any small knots etc. I even have to trim any tiny bits of the weight from the manufacturing process to satisfy my ocd! 😂 

On 4/18/2018 at 11:35, yonny said:

I would add to this thread that while I do not believe in such a thing as a big fish rig, in my opinion you will increase your average size of capture by using pop ups. The higher you fish them off the deck, the higher your average size will climb. If you whack a pop up 3 inches off the deck you'll hook fewer small carp imo as it just looks alien to them. Bigguns wont be be able to tell as they are approaching from above due to their sheer size.....

I have a close mate that's fished the same waters as me for the last 5 years. His average, every year, has been significantly smaller than mine, and he catches just as many fish. Only difference is he fishes bottom baits where I use pop ups. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.....

Last year, in an attempt to target that huge mirror I has in October, I increased the height of my pop up rigs significantly to avoid the smaller fish. I landed 16 fish after that modification with an average of 31 lb, and then the biggun at 49. Normal average on this water is about 25 lb, my smallest fish was 25 lb. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.....

You might have to wait longer for bites with big blatant pop ups but when the bite comes I find it's worth the wait. My first piece of advice to anyone looking to target big fish would be to use blatant pop up rigs.

Seems to have worked for Vik too looking at his results last year.

Hi Yonny 

This is very interesting .

Just to make sure , the 3 inches is measured from the Putty / Shot resting on the lake bed to the bottom of the Pop Up ? .

Ta .

:)

On 17/04/2018 at 04:25, smufter said:

Despite accumulating countless tubs of various pop-ups over the years, I don't fish them that often. Lack of confidence I guess, as I've never had a sniff on one in the past.

I've read up/watched videos on the rigs involved, but the only thing I'm not really sure of is the amount of weight I need to use. My question is, can you use too much???

As others have said, it depends how you want to present the bait, I certainly wouldn’t worry too much about over weighting though. Sometimes if I see a fish show at big distance, I fish a 3 or 4” hook link with a pop up, straight off a 4oz lead, and I’ve caught many times with this method, so a 4oz lead is definitely over weighted.

The height I fish a normal pop up, can be anything from just off bottom, to around 4” although 1.5” is quite frequent  for me. Much higher than 4” and you’re basically zig fishing. Regarding pop up weight, I use Dinsmore split shot, a BB is about right for the average 15mm pop up. I like the split shot, as that was my method before the lead ban.

On 4/18/2018 at 08:50, greekskii said:

wont catch anything on them if you dont use them. 

I'm like yonny and use pop-ups for 95% of my fishing, I will put on a snowman no problem but not used a straight bottom bait for years. My go to rig doesnt even suit using one.

Would you like to show the forum your " go to rig " , Greekskii ? , or do you prefer to keep an " edge " ? .

4 minutes ago, crusian said:

Would you like to show the forum your " go to rig " , Greekskii ? , or do you prefer to keep an " edge " ? .

img_4907 

A stiff multi rig. Only good for pop ups, although I dare say if you took away most of the putty (protects the knot) maybe it would suit a wafter if you swap the ring for a swivel. 

2 hours ago, greekskii said:

img_4907 

A stiff multi rig. Only good for pop ups, although I dare say if you took away most of the putty (protects the knot) maybe it would suit a wafter if you swap the ring for a swivel. 

Thanks Greekskii

So under the dollop of Putty is the knot that connects the Coated Braid to a short length of Amnesia ? .

On 4/21/2018 at 12:37, snowman01 said:

Yep, you need to have confidence in what you're doing. Whether you can just accept logic, or have to prove something through some sort of test etc. Like if your fishing popups to combat debris etc then find a clear margin spot and plonk your rig on it in a similar way you imagine the cast landing. You can see how it lands and settles, and how it sits. Like I've just changed to a slightly stiffer coated braid for my boom section because I realised sometimes my previous one wouldn't quite boom out enough. 

These are the two slightly different versions of the hinge rig I use. Those tungsten weights balance my homemade 15mm corkballs out nicely, settle slow enough to sit on top of silkweed but don't sink too slowly. In my mind they are also less likely to snag in the weed than swivels, and the stripped bit of braid behind them gives the movement and rotation. 

DSC_1476.JPG

What kind of weights you use on fluorocarbon?

On 27/04/2018 at 17:18, RobertZilla said:

What kind of weights you use on fluorocarbon?

I think they are taska large chod beads, supposed to fit onto the eye of a swivel on a chod rig. Balance a 13mm corkball (the diameter of the Cork before adding paste layer) plus a heavy gauge size 4 hook nicely. 

14 hours ago, smufter said:

Well tried your suggestion yesterday Yonny, raised the pop up to 4". Still nothing.....

Mate of mine who has just joined White Cottage had a 30lb carp on Monday, his first visit. On a pop up!!

:shock::shock::shock::lol:

So , kind of like  Robertzilla says if he's a good mate wouldn't he at least let you look at his rig ? .

Multi Rig , Stiff Hinge Rig , Ronnie Rig ? , and more importantly , how high is his Pop Up presented ? .

7 hours ago, crusian said:

So , kind of like  Robertzilla says if he's a good mate wouldn't he at least let you look at his rig ? .

Multi Rig , Stiff Hinge Rig , Ronnie Rig ? , and more importantly , how high is his Pop Up presented ? .

Funnily enough, Jerry (my mate) came round to my swim on Tuesday and we had a good chat. We got talking about pop ups, and I showed him my rig. He confirmed that he is fishing almost exactly the same as me, and had his pop up about 4" off the deck, same as me! Only difference was that he was using a pink pop up whereas mine was a deeper red (Plan b's natural colour lol!). As said, the fish have got to be in front of me to be interested, so I guess they weren't lol! I will persevere with them, just might change the colour over to something more visible like pink, white or possibly yellow. I know my presentation is right.... it's just finding the fish.

52 minutes ago, smufter said:

Funnily enough, Jerry (my mate) came round to my swim on Tuesday and we had a good chat. We got talking about pop ups, and I showed him my rig. He confirmed that he is fishing almost exactly the same as me, and had his pop up about 4" off the deck, same as me! Only difference was that he was using a pink pop up whereas mine was a deeper red (Plan b's natural colour lol!). As said, the fish have got to be in front of me to be interested, so I guess they weren't lol! I will persevere with them, just might change the colour over to something more visible like pink, white or possibly yellow. I know my presentation is right.... it's just finding the fish.

Well that's very encouraging that you've reached the same presentation independently .

A Plan B , washed out Pop Up , or at least Baby Pink Pop Up , maybe ? .

12 minutes ago, crusian said:

Well that's very encouraging that you've reached the same presentation independently .

A Plan B , washed out Pop Up , or at least Baby Pink Pop Up , maybe ? .

Just ordered a tub of the "creme de la creme" of pop ups.

:lol::wink::wink::wink: