Unfenced lakes

jh92

I see Baden hall fishery has been getting hit by otters , there kidding them selves at the numbers of reported lost fish . They would have lost a lot of the big fish no doubt.  Apparently they've been hiding the fact until an angler went public with a video,  still taking anglers money  who were  fishing for ghosts.  

Like I've been saying if it ain't fenced you need to think seriously about whether it's worth your time & hard earned .

On 12/02/2019 at 17:57, chillfactor said:

I see Baden hall fishery has been getting hit by otters , there kidding them selves at the numbers of reported lost fish . They would have lost a lot of the big fish no doubt.  Apparently they've been hiding the fact until an angler went public with a video,  still taking anglers money  who were  fishing for ghosts.  

Like I've been saying if it ain't fenced you need to think seriously about whether it's worth your time & hard earned .

I've been walking the canal and river a lot over the last few months and haven't seen anything really except a few pike in the margins. Even spoke to a few anglers saying otters are about down there. 

Anyway I walked a stretched of canal last night and it seemed alive, loads of small fish breaking the surface with a few big splashes as well. Makes me wonder if I should try again down there or not. There are still fish there but so are the otters lol. 

If there's fish there give it a go while there still present,  I think the otter numbers makes the real difference & while there still visiting various waters. What I think is happening around me now , is fish are getting thin in numbers so the kills per visit escalated massively this winter because of it .

Tight lines 

On 20 February 2019 at 06:22, jh92 said:

I've been walking the canal and river a lot over the last few months and haven't seen anything really except a few pike in the margins. Even spoke to a few anglers saying otters are about down there. 

Anyway I walked a stretched of canal last night and it seemed alive, loads of small fish breaking the surface with a few big splashes as well. Makes me wonder if I should try again down there or not. There are still fish there but so are the otters lol. 

I can't remember if I have said it on this thread, but foxes will take otter kills after otters are finished with it. Foxes tend to drag and cache the kill. They tend not to eat in 'public'.

On 12/02/2019 at 17:57, chillfactor said:

Believe the head bayiff  left aswell  and hinted at an otter problem as was spoken about it on the carp cast. 

My both  the club near me appear to be burying there head un the sand with otters.  There has only been one confirmed otter  body found but still 

If the  any if my waters get uttered it shall be a sign to get a set of golf bats

Changed them summertime, they only work when I get them out n pack em away. 

Tough Syndi runs out end of March. New venue for June open season, may finally get to see them n action,

possibly upgraded to 4 mag. Although I'm one of those that takes something apart and for some unknown reason it never quite goes back together!! 😂 Might get local tackle shop on the case. Excuse pun

• 2 weeks later...

Another visit to the farm pond last night , shouldn't think there be anything left in there in a few weeks . It would appear that there's no fishing local for me anymore . Make the most of what you've got lads before it's gone . Just a matter of time .  

How can this be Natural England !!! 

Perhaps we need to do what farmers have done in the past , & take trailers full of dead fish & dump them at the gates at Downing street . These E petitions are a waste of time . 

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Another visit to the farm pond last night , shouldn't think there be anything left in there in a few weeks . It would appear that there's no fishing local for me anymore . Make the most of what you've got lads before it's gone . Just a matter of time .  

How can this be Natural England !!! 

Perhaps we need to do what farmers have done in the past , & take trailers full of dead fish & dump them at the gates at Downing street . These E petitions are a waste of time . 

Sad times mate.

Not trying to make a joke out of it but if you ever want a change of scenery you can always have a day with me on my urban paradise. 

Theres a few predators knocking about but not the furry kind .

Just a real shame mate... no more just nipping out for a fish me , will have to be planned visits to fenced lakes.  Feel more gutted for my boy really it was ideal having the farm pond & the little stretch of river just to take him for a few hours with minimal tackle . His fishing as he grows up will be planned & a journey , he's going to miss out on that spontaneous dangle of a rod that so many memories stem from . 

Mate would love to meet up at some point we've been trying for years now lol 😎

There's a hush, hush water near me which holds approx 50 fish, a handful of which are big old originals (the biggest goes 50 lb), very special fish. It's not fenced and it's parts of a canal system. I know for a fact that otters are present on the canal (I've seen one) and that they hit this water last year, which obviously means this year too. I'll barely get to fish this next couple of years due to the little'n but when I do get the odd morning/evening free it'll be spent on this water. It's basically a race against time (which is less than ideal considering I have no time lol)..... if it's not too late already. I now the biggun was still there last year but who knows what's happened this winter eh?

Nightmare situation. Fishing for a fish that might not be there. Normally it hurts me when one of my targets is caught but in this case every capture will be music to my ears.

In other news, I've heard today that a trout water in the Nene Valley has just stocked £20,000 worth of VS Fisheries stockies with the aim of turning it into a carp fishery with no plans to fence! This is in one of the hottest areas of the UK for otters, just a few miles away from one of the old illegal otter release sites. You couldn't make it up. It has held carp over the years and they were all ottered. All the unprotected waters around it have been ottered. It is literally otter central... and they think they can just fill it full of carp, charge 25 quid a day, and sit back.

It wont last 5 minutes imo. 

The penny just isn't dropping with people yonny . I think we lost roughly 30 fish this winter from that private lake we drained a couple of months back (a real eye opener ) we moved the few that were left to  small farm ponds,  one of which is ours & the other was 4-5 miles from the lake the fish in the other farm pond didn't last a week , & the ones here are getting done the better ones are defo gone already, we must be over run with them around me as the fish have just disappeared in alarming numbers from all the little streams & rivers not to mention the lakes dotted about   . Those 20 grand of fish will be gone in no time , with what your saying about the area . 

Some can see what's going to happen if they aren't pro active .... look at korda ! 

26 minutes ago, commonly said:

As angler's who love the fish & wildlife in general, we must take steps to safeguard the natural balance of nature.

It definitely sounds like this predator is a threat that cannot be ignored.... 

Frank ,has touched on it before & It rang true with what I think is  happening around me  , these otters are not territorial they've been reared with other otters , lots of them at that in big open fenced pens . Wild otters would fight each other to the death to keep there territory , survival of the fittest & all that . This new population seem happy to feed along side each other as that's what they know & it's obvious it's been passed on to the next generations  , hence how quickly a lake can be emptied,  well that's my take on it around me . We are in an area where the legal reintroduction is taking place . 

Like you say nothing natural about it .

Edited by chillfactor

On 12/03/2019 at 21:19, chillfactor said:

Just a real shame mate... no more just nipping out for a fish me , will have to be planned visits to fenced lakes.  Feel more gutted for my boy really it was ideal having the farm pond & the little stretch of river just to take him for a few hours with minimal tackle . His fishing as he grows up will be planned & a journey , he's going to miss out on that spontaneous dangle of a rod that so many memories stem from . 

Mate would love to meet up at some point we've been trying for years now lol 😎

I know mate. 

As usual my fishing has taken a backseat to life at the moment.

But i reckon i could get a nice little end of summer - autumn session in.

21 hours ago, muftyboy said:

I know mate. 

As usual my fishing has taken a backseat to life at the moment.

But i reckon i could get a nice little end of summer - autumn session in.

I'm in the same boat mate.... family & work taking all my time up . Let's hope we can both make time .... who knows some others might like to meet up too 😎

In regards to your other post .... think that will become a regular feature now hearing lakes closing due to predation.  Once there in your area , you might get 4-5 years before it really hits hard from my experience. 

• 4 months later...

Well took the missus and my youngest son, 1st overnight to the estate lakes this weekend. The above turned in and I was mucking around with a short pole with my 7 year old in the twilight hours. We were discussing how unusual it was that we'd not seen any carp cruising around, as would be expected. To my absolute horror, right in front of me a young otter poked it's #@###@# head up! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I thought I'd found a little piece of heaven on my door step, no massive carp, but beauties non the less. To make things worse the owner is over the moon about it, he's a nature lover, but doesn't seem to understand what the consequences are going to be. There breeding and have 5 river fed lakes full of carp, tench, bream, roach, chub and supposedly barbel. Omg, time to look for a fenced venue. Dammit, excuse the pun, but I AM GUTTED! 😠😠😠😠

On 07/08/2019 at 16:20, commonly said:

Well took the missus and my youngest son, 1st overnight to the estate lakes this weekend. The above turned in and I was mucking around with a short pole with my 7 year old in the twilight hours. We were discussing how unusual it was that we'd not seen any carp cruising around, as would be expected. To my absolute horror, right in front of me a young otter poked it's #@###@# head up! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I thought I'd found a little piece of heaven on my door step, no massive carp, but beauties non the less. To make things worse the owner is over the moon about it, he's a nature lover, but doesn't seem to understand what the consequences are going to be. There breeding and have 5 river fed lakes full of carp, tench, bream, roach, chub and supposedly barbel. Omg, time to look for a fenced venue. Dammit, excuse the pun, but I AM GUTTED! 😠😠😠😠

Can't believe the owners happy about it mate , unless he's thinking of trying to promote the otters . Obviously doesn't care much for the fishery!

I've ended up just fishing in France it seems , after the otters have cleaned out all my local waters haven't fished at all in England. Although I am taking my boy & nephew week after next up to blakemere in Shropshire for a couple of nights , we are up that way on holiday so promised them some fishing . 

Gutted for you mate