Semi-slack lines

TheKingTench

What sort of distance are you fishing at?

At any distance more than about 40metres, the natural line arc down from the rod tip will see the line running along the lakebed anyway, well, unless your rod tips are mega high and the line mega tight.

I have been known to fish with tubing and lower the bait into the water, fish with a slack line and running lead, and have takes. Equally I have cast it about 50metres with a slack line and running lead and had absolute screamers when a fish takes.

I was just playing with a short length of tungsten tubing with a semi slack line in the air, (not in water, so the physics may be different) the stiffness of the tubing kept it in the curve shape it came out of the packing. That meant it lifted off the table vertically at the end! It was only a tight line that straightened the tubing totally, a totally slack line saw it stay in the curve, albeit it did fall flat on its side in a curve.

I tend to get my rods in the rests after having felt the lead down and ensure the line is nice and tight. I then clip on the bobbin, and play out line until I have a drop of 3-4 inches. 

Had two fish this year like that. Just hope the tubing is on the deck. 

The closer in I fish, the more of a drop I give the bobbins. 

Hopefully I'm doing it somewhat right. 

8 hours ago, TheKingTench said:

I tend to fish with about a 3-4 inch drop on my bobbins to ensure the tubing stays on the deck.

Does this count as semi-slack?

Don't bother using the drop on the bobbin to determine how slack the line is bud, as Nick said the distance you're fishing at will influence that.

Imo the best way to check how slack your line is, is to look at your line lol.

To achieve what I call semi slack I cast out mend and sink the line and put the rod down.  For the next 10 mins or so I will keep checking how tight it looks and play off line until I achieve what looks to be slack line fishing to me.  This can take ages and have to be done several times as the line sinks better once it has taken on water over time.

Once I've achieved slack line I add the bobbin and it will take up the slack and fall to the floor - I remove the bobbin, slowly tighten and add the bobbin again and repeat the process until it sits bang on and doesn't take line and fall anymore.

At this point it looks pretty tight but enters the water much lower in the water than it would have when originally cast out and tightened.  In my mind from half way out to the rig the line should be nailed down by now - which to me is all you need.

Edited by kevtaylor

12 hours ago, TheKingTench said:

I tend to get my rods in the rests after having felt the lead down and ensure the line is nice and tight. I then clip on the bobbin, and play out line until I have a drop of 3-4 inches.

to me your fishing a tight line. Using a drop on the bobbin doesnt add slack to the line in the water. It just slackens the line between the alarm and the reel. 

As Kev said its a long process to achieve slack lines.

My process involves hitting the clip, feeling it down, unclipping, walking with bail arm open to my butt rests. I then flick the bail arm over and hold the right as high and vertical as possible and watch the line sink from the lead to the rod tip. This allows gravity to help sink the line as its slack. When it gets to however much line I want to be slack I will put my rod on the rests, clip the bobbin on and tighten up until my bobbins are hanging limp and my line is dropping from the rod tip almost vertically to the water. 

Normaly just get the rod on the rests with the line tight and a very slight bend in the rod tip, and then just slack of 12-18 inches of line and clip on the bobbins.

Normally stelles after a few mins with about a 3 inch drop.

Though at range, I imagine the tubing would be on the deck anyway?

Edited by TheKingTench

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

With a slight bend in the rod I doubt your tubing is on the bottom. That'll be tight to the lead to get the bend. The drop on the bobbin won't be dropping the tubing. 

As I said, I then slowly pull out at least 12 inches of line from the spool and the line/rod tip goes limp. My bobbins are super light, so will rise and fall with the slightest adjustment.

Edited by TheKingTench

11 minutes ago, TheKingTench said:

As I said, I then slowly pull out at least 12 inches of line from the spool and the line/rod tip goes limp. My bobbins are super light, so will rise and fall with the slightest adjustment.

Probably still doesn't slacken off the line. It just drops down in the line arc a bit quicker. Effectively to be slack you want the line touching every rod ring and dropping straight down from the rod tip.

If its not the line will be under tension. Any undertow or current will be pulling the line tight, potentially to the left or right as it droops to the lead.

5 minutes ago, TheKingTench said:

So essentialy you need to fish slack/semi slack with tubing?

Or use a flying backlead?

Or very tight:wink:

Remember how it arcs down from the rod tips. As I said in my first post on the topic, 40metres or so and the tubing will be flat on the lakebed anyway. 

On 2/2/2018 at 04:07, smufter said:

I fish "semi slack" as I use tubing too and want to ensure it's down on the deck where it should be.

26232766_10155420380916374_6031406258922531238_o.jpg

Ooh I do like the " carpy corners " on your water Smufter , what depth have you got under those bankside bushes ? .

Getting back to the original post , I also favour that bow in the line from the rod top and my bobbin set as your left hand rod .

:)  

On 2/4/2018 at 17:14, crusian said:

Ooh I do like the " carpy corners " on your water Smufter , what depth have you got under those bankside bushes ? .

There's quite a bit of depth Crusian but you've got to be a bit careful how close you get to them.

I had a rig out there in what I thought was the "perfect" spot last week. Three hours sat on my hands. Not a sniff. Thought I'd have a "re-bait" and try another spot, lost a rig as I had been too close for comfort................that one was never going to tear off, was it lol!!

Should have gone today but too blooming cold. Going to spend the day re-spooling and tying a few rigs. I think the wife has got a little housework for me to do too.....:shock::shock::shock:

8 hours ago, smufter said:

There's quite a bit of depth Crusian but you've got to be a bit careful how close you get to them.

I had a rig out there in what I thought was the "perfect" spot last week. Three hours sat on my hands. Not a sniff. Thought I'd have a "re-bait" and try another spot, lost a rig as I had been too close for comfort................that one was never going to tear off, was it lol!!

Should have gone today but too blooming cold. Going to spend the day re-spooling and tying a few rigs. I think the wife has got a little housework for me to do too.....:shock::shock::shock:

Hello Smufter

I think it's a " catch 22 " at times , do you risk sitting there waiting patiently then find  you've been  attached to a snag or make a " safe " cast and the fish aren't going to venture out from their sanctuary tight to snags etc in the near future , if at all . I once just clipped a tree on a cast , and after reeling in an hour or two later found I had neatly hooked a leaf from the tree - it was a very nice leaf though , a maple I believe ! .

Yes it's much too cold to sit quietly by the lake today , I don't know if you were encouraged to do any housework ? ; I've been a plumber's mate to my Wife .

Let's hope next week is warmer , but the latest I've read is that this cold spell could carry on for the rest of this month ! .