Need a stalking rod!

Hey guys,

I am in the market ( once i save the pennies) for a 9ft stalking rod and wondering what you guys would recommend, willing to spend up to 120ish on the right rod, is this a sensible amount? or am i going to have to save for longer? and also can 9ft rods double up well as surface rods? I have always just used my 11ft rods to do stalking and surface fishing but fishing tight spaces is not always so easy as you all know. for example is this any good for the money? 

https://johnsonrosstackle.co.uk/wychwood-carp-rods/14299-wychwood-extricator-stalker-9ft.html

Or is the decent price a reflection of quality? I will of course read reviews but just wondering what you guys think?

Well I use my nash scope 10ft rods as my every day rods and also have the 6ft scopes as short session/river/canal/stalking rods, I can’t fault them in anyway, they pack down microscopically small and seem to be extremely strong capable rods, I used to use the dwarf 6ft rod(cheaper option) again extremely capable rod. 

But in answer to your our question I can’t see any reason that a 9ft rod wouldn’t be suitable for stalking 

1 minute ago, spr1985 said:

Well I use my nash scope 10ft rods as my every day rods and also have the 6ft scopes as short session/river/canal/stalking rods, I can’t fault them in anyway, they pack down microscopically small and seem to be extremely strong capable rods, I used to use the dwarf 6ft rod(cheaper option) again extremely capable rod. 

But in answer to your our question I can’t see any reason that a 9ft rod wouldn’t be suitable for stalking 

I hadn't thought about a 6ft rod to be fair but i will take a look at some. how about surface fishing? you ever used your 6ft rod for that?

3 minutes ago, crusian said:

I'm thinking that an 11' rod would pick up / mend the line better if you were surface fishing with a controller further out  rather than stalking close in . 

Also would you need the extra length in certain swims to reach over , play fish around margin lillies / reeds / weeds ? .

:)

That is a good point i hadn't really thought of that, maybe stick to an 11 for my surface fishing then.

10 minutes ago, AnglingAnt said:

That is a good point i hadn't really thought of that, maybe stick to an 11 for my surface fishing then.

Hello AA

I should have said that I have a 11' rod for my controller work AND a 9' rod for my close in ( just a hook and a mixer ) work and / or tight swims .

My 9' rod is an old fibreglass rod , but I have read good reviews on the Extricator , and I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the forum has got one .

I have no experience of the Nash rods , but Spr is obviously very happy with them .

I don't know where you live , but there is the Brentwood Carp Show this weekend , then 5 Lakes , maybe you need to go and have a "play " with some rods ? .

:)

I have been looking at the Extricator for ages and i would buy them HOWEVER, You cant get a rod back for them. I have been in touch with wychwood and they dont plan to do one as its "to expensive in the current market". They also mentioned to me that there reel placement means its wont fit into most genic 9 ft bags. So i havent brought them!