Dogs and fishing

jh92

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I'll perhaps have to start taking them for a walk round the lakes and see how it goes, I'm not holding out much hope they are presently scrapping again 😳😩

just take the one, the most feisty dog out the two don't worry about a bit of barking it only disturbed's the anglers and not the fish the birds make more of a ruckus than any dog 

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I'll perhaps have to start taking them for a walk round the lakes and see how it goes, I'm not holding out much hope they are presently scrapping again 😳😩

Just take the plunge mate - what can go wrong 🤦‍♂️🤣

A walk round sounds good - we did that but not intentionally - was also my first walk round.

On the first fishing session Max jumped out my car window at the car park gate '- wasn't expecting that and forgot on the way home and he did it again lol - luckily he just ran over to me but what a mad man! 

14 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

just take the one, the most feisty dog out the two don't worry about a bit of barking it only disturbed's the anglers and not the fish the birds make more of a ruckus than any dog 

That sounds like a good idea tbh the most obnoxious one is definately the boy but on his own his also probably the most responsive to train, like if I want to play ball with him he wants too and on his own will but she always attacks him of its both of them outside, I think they both just want to be the one to bring the ball back and end up scrapping, 😂

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

That sounds like a good idea tbh the most obnoxious one is definately the boy but on his own his also probably the most responsive to train, like if I want to play ball with him he wants too and on his own will but she always attacks him of its both of them outside, I think they both just want to be the one to bring the ball back and end up scrapping, 😂

Are they siblings mate?

My neighbor has cocker spaniel sisters, the red one attacks the black one every day.  I heard somewhere that red ones can have Cocker rage?  I think it's just a lack of exercise and discipline in their case though.

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Are they siblings mate?

My neighbor has cocker spaniel sisters, the red one attacks the black one every day.  I heard somewhere that red ones can have Cocker rage?  I think it's just a lack of exercise and discipline in their case though.

Yes brother and sister 

The red one is a little more highly strung, but she gives as good as she gets tbh they do need wearing out a lot though 😂

More carp dog practice for Max - he is easier to handle at fishing than he is at home tbh - so far so good, this week I tried both dogs off lead whilst I barrowed to the swim - any fears he would run off were soon gone as he followed me close behind all the way - impressed!  George wandered off as usual - not far but got told off several times, think he is trying to escape Max the poor old boy - not used to sharing.

Screenshot_20220531-082200_Gallery.thumb.jpg.71ffdfa222d20fb05ca643e979d87608.jpg

Screenshot_20220531-081356_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fe9a97f98bd495dc9081877c0676a91b.jpg

Screenshot_20220531-082305_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ef8c2ac261a3017ff71a46480796e6a3.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/06/2022 at 18:43, salokcinnodrog said:

On a hot summers day...

A husky water dog.

20220621_114915.jpg

Sky wants ice.

bit of a weird one the other day was sitting in the bivvy with fred and something fell against the back of the bivvy sounded like a few twigs falling out a the tree, fred shot out and round the back, heard something squeaking, went out and fred had hold of a mole i made him drop it and he did first ask, i had a look and seen it was a mole with a twisted front led, it could barely crawl let alone dig so i let fred deal with it, very fast and clean back of the neck and wrag. 

I was wondering if the mole had been picked up by a buzzard or something, wouldn't expect a mole to live in a flood area like that let alone out in the day. no mole hills near by?

34 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Sky wants ice.

bit of a weird one the other day was sitting in the bivvy with fred and something fell against the back of the bivvy sounded like a few twigs falling out a the tree, fred shot out and round the back, heard something squeaking, went out and fred had hold of a mole i made him drop it and he did first ask, i had a look and seen it was a mole with a twisted front led, it could barely crawl let alone dig so i let fred deal with it, very fast and clean back of the neck and wrag. 

I was wondering if the mole had been picked up by a buzzard or something, wouldn't expect a mole to live in a flood area like that let alone out in the day. no mole hills near by?

I made sure every day during the hot weather she was able to be near shade and water so she could cool down.

Sky has had moles out of the hole. She waits if a molehill starts moving as it digs out then shakes it.

Young moles have been leaving the burrows or tunnels recently, even in daylight, I've seen barn owls in daylight picking them up for their young.

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I made sure every day during the hot weather she was able to be near shade and water so she could cool down.

Sky has had moles out of the hole. She waits if a molehill starts moving as it digs out then shakes it.

Young moles have been leaving the burrows or tunnels recently, even in daylight, I've seen barn owls in daylight picking them up for their young.

i got one of those cooling mats filled with a gel, 6 quid from wilko's might need two for sky they work really well, they would be perfect on a summer's day put over the back of a chair,  gets really cold the longer you press against it. 

• 2 months later...

Fred is a carp dog still have to have him on lead due to swimming issues but he does take vocal commands first time. took a passing dog two bites to get a response the other day I was in the lake another jack just had to fly into him nearly ended badly I got out the water just as Fred had grabbed it picked him up as soon as all four paws were lifted he dropped it he did let the dog get away with the first nip I was telling him to be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Fred roughed up a collie last night broke free from it's owner who has no business owning a dog, Fred stayed at my side and give it a good seeing off every time it flew in, bloke was expecting me to prevent Fred from defending us both oh no the collie won't be doing that again. Fred is such a nice dog he got behind it and grabbed a leg, every time it came in Fred decked it then backed off. well chuffed with himself loves a fight that dog, not a bad one just a dog scuffle. Bloke even went to grab Fred, I was like no mate don't handle my dog get your own, obv scared of it must of been bite before thing is a hyped up colie looking to work.

• 3 months later...

Screenshot_20221227-172646_Gallery.thumb.jpg.649ac84f6ab30e5b41679298cb5c5347.jpg

I can't start this without paying tribute to my beautiful carp dog and best friend of 12 and a half years George.  29th June 2022 I had to make the gut wrenching visit to the vets knowing his little heart was giving up and we would be saying goodbye.  Safe to say it ripped my heart out and left me devastated - all fishing trips since have felt forced as I lost the buzz.  I cried my eyes out packing for the first trip and broke down, it wasn't the same but I got through it coz fishing is my life and I had my daughters dog Max to soften the blow a little on occasion.

Months later and after a few rat encounters at a day ticket water - with them running right over the bivvy and eating a hole in the side I decided I needed a new dog, as this never happened on George's watch.  Today I picked up Jack my new carp dog soon to be in training, prob best not to set up near me this coming year! 

Meet Jack a 13 week old show type Cocker

Screenshot_20221227-173302_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b25e6b57043cdf45eecadb587b695f1e.jpg

Screenshot_20221227-173156_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5d577183b4ec8ae2f2c41dd84885f15b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, crusian said:

Well here's to you , Kev , and Jack and Max having a great 2023 by the waterside .

😃

Thanks mate, really looking forward to it, 3 weeks until his final jab so when it's nice and sunny we'll be out - can't wait but no rush it's gotta be warm.

Better choose the far side of the big lake so they don't annoy anyone, I already know both will be in and out of the water all day, throwing sticks and tennis balls will be essential kit to keep them quiet, wear them out so no dramas around bite times.

Think I'll be spending most of the time untangling 2 dogs on 50ft leads lol 🤦‍♂️😆

• 4 weeks later...