Dogs and fishing

jh92

Behind me Davie and push me forward... see they got a few pics up of dave looking all cute and butter like might nip in and see him this week, he looks like he has lost a bit of weight i said they needed to cut the food for obedience out  with a dog like dave i still reckon someone is shaking a sausage at him in those new pics, he is my sort of dog other than when he play fights it can go from 0 to max in a blink of an eye but he is still playing, i seen a video of when they first got him , put him in with two well trained german shepherds that could handle his rough play, i got to say i didn't fancy their chances much, he was all over them with a big stupid grin and a waggy tail the dog just didn't care.  

1249332_davie_20220204114853_davie3.jpeg_800.jpg

1249332_davie_20220204114900_daviemain_800.jpg

4 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Behind me Davie and push me forward... see they got a few pics up of dave looking all cute and butter like might nip in and see him this week, he looks like he has lost a bit of weight i said they needed to cut the food for obedience out  with a dog like dave i still reckon someone is shaking a sausage at him in those new pics, he is my sort of dog other than when he play fights it can go from 0 to max in a blink of an eye but he is still playing, i seen a video of when they first got him , put him in with two well trained german shepherds that could handle his rough play, i got to say i didn't fancy their chances much, he was all over them with a big stupid grin and a waggy tail the dog just didn't care.  

1249332_davie_20220204114853_davie3.jpeg_800.jpg

1249332_davie_20220204114900_daviemain_800.jpg

Hi Carpbell

I'm a Postie and I love meeting peoples Dogs , giving them a stroke , and not having to walk / clean up after them / feed them ! .

Dave has certainly mastered the " look at me I'm a cutie pose " .

I'm rather taken with a couple of French Bulldogs on my " Walk " at the moment , but if I ever got a dog (not really practical ) I think it would be a Spaniel .

😃 

• 1 month later...

Freddie as he now is called, has settled in needs a good shower wait till it warms up a bit, goes out for the toilet, can't see why he has been through two homes, he has a light grab when excited very soft though but his teeth are pin sharp i could see the last owner would be put off by that, he drew first blood on me last night playing with his tug ring his teeth went across my hand. he is chilled though got up today went out now back asleep.

going to need a vet has a bit off chaffing from living in a harness needs his vac doin,g take him over the woods soon once he has had a scrub. 

the one slight niggle with fred, and he only does it with me, face biting lol very gentle with it then again all terriers can be face biters Dave from the trust had a serious potential for it, i don't mind working with it so long as it's done like puppy play, little git.

I don't think he has bonded before with a human, he won't leave my side he was covered in sweets when i got him stuck in his fur. got him sitting and staying, goes to his bed when told and is starting to recall, all since saturday.

38 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

the one slight niggle with fred, and he only does it with me, face biting lol very gentle with it then again all terriers can be face biters Dave from the trust had a serious potential for it, i don't mind working with it so long as it's done like puppy play, little git.

I don't think he has bonded before with a human, he won't leave my side he was covered in sweets when i got him stuck in his fur. got him sitting and staying, goes to his bed when told and is starting to recall, all since saturday.

give him time your both still getting used to each other once that established  he will protect all of you with his life 

Edited by carpyian

On 06/04/2022 at 10:29, carpyian said:

give him time your both still getting used to each other once that established  he will protect all of you with his life 

he is deffo staying come 7pm he has his cut off time meaning he likes to relax,  very chilled dog in the evening he is friendly with other dogs, just needs to work on his hellos.

looking mean

20220407_181548.jpg

Fredrick update. Coming along nice and steady very friendly and soft with us and most other people not keen on blokes who look like they are just out without any reason not a bad thing he just chuffs at them,  will let complete strangers handle him the lady in the pet shop fitted him a harness he was more than happy. other dogs, not as interested as he was a week ago, although he did try to batter a dalmation up the woods the other night, nothing major, the dog was off lead and went to approach mine but the other guy made a meal out of getting his dog on lead and stopping in a narrow gap of the path, bit of a clash when passing, the problem is my dog will go into cry and it can be a bit intimidating for other dogs. he is much better than he was and takes verbal commands to stop and stuff no treats needed just good boys. works every time. 

little swimming lesson just incase. 

Full HD, 

One last thing to work on and it's a big one, i may have to admit defeat, and get the dog training lady in she does classes and he needs better dog socialization skills, i can take him to a hound pack farm where they do classes, he is ok with other dogs so long as they don't react to him. a few classes with the right group of dogs will help he is fine with small dogs he does like to let the larger dogs know he has an eye on them. his posture can be on another level especially as we have been doing three to four long walks a day all his fat has burnt off looks ripped. 

Ahh just like all good terriers if he needs a vet it will be on a bank holiday, he has a long dew claw that needs to come out looked like it was coming off, he caught it in his lead the other day and half ripped it out, to say he is not happy would be an understatement, still not aggressive from it though, he jumped on my bed yesterday and knocked it fighting me, proper lost it, still, we went out yesterday and he had a small child jump in front of him and do jazz hands, he gave her a lovely fuss even with his sore dew claw.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

show off, wish my dog could be trusted off lead he would off been swimming for that. 

Max is on a 15 metre lead, you just can't see it in that pic, can't see that changing any time soon, he's too mad!

George is OK off the lead, I trust him not to go too far, but he still hides close by and scares me silly at least once per trip, on busy lakes he is kept on a lead too.

On 16/05/2022 at 12:42, kevtaylor said:

Max is on a 15 metre lead, you just can't see it in that pic, can't see that changing any time soon, he's too mad!

George is OK off the lead, I trust him not to go too far, but he still hides close by and scares me silly at least once per trip, on busy lakes he is kept on a lead too.

What's max like for barking at wildlife? , one of my spaniels the girl is pretty chilled, but the boy one is an idiot and will bark at anything that moves, cats, birds, deer, I can't see him ever being a fishing dog if that doesn't change they are also mad and like to fight a bit 😳

IMG-20220511-WA0001.thumb.jpg.1c8eb8585b31c70e7bb5b7d2a8b13b8e.jpg

Betty and Buster 

Edited by elmoputney

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

What's max like for barking at wildlife? , one of my spaniels the girl is pretty chilled, but the boy one is an idiot and will bark at anything that moves, cats, birds, deer, I can't see him ever being a fishing dog if that doesn't change they are also mad and like to fight a bit 😳

Betty and Buster 

Max barked at a swan that was 200 yards away, yet when 20 were over my lines at the rod tips he didn't bark at all, which is just typical.  Both bark if someone comes past but that's good.

Just take them fishing or just him to begin with they will probably surprise you - they love it and come home exhausted, I walk them at lunchtime and play ball with Max to tire him out. 👍

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Betty and Buster 

i prefer taking a dog, fred has come along great considering he was rehomed twice before i got him, no idea why as he is a real friendly dog think it must of been his excitement level, which is an easy fix in a terrier believe it or not, all you have to do is let them know they have gone too far by ignoring them works a treat,although to be honest if some other dog owners seen how i first had to discipline him they would call the RSPCA you only need to physically overpower them once then do the ignore bit.

he loves fishing, don't even eat his dinner the day before i go too busey following me getting my gear together..

he was even behaving like a carp dog with ducks just in front of him not a murmur, couple of weeks back he would of exploded,  he is just like my patty, as soon as he sees me packing away that's when i need to watch him, tied him to a tree knowing he would slip his harness and go for a swim, he didn't let me down lol. 

20220523_202450.jpg

20220524_103316.jpg

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Max barked at a swan that was 200 yards away, yet when 20 were over my lines at the rod tips he didn't bark at all, which is just typical.  Both bark if someone comes past but that's good.

Just take them fishing or just him to begin with they will probably surprise you - they love it and come home exhausted, I walk them at lunchtime and play ball with Max to tire him out. 👍

I'll perhaps have to start taking them for a walk round the lakes and see how it goes, I'm not holding out much hope they are presently scrapping again 😳😩