Dogs and fishing

jh92

Just back from dave's first visit very nice dog and unbelievably strong and solid nice and friendly with a happy personality, his only problem is he likes to nip like all terriers, so far he has a softer nip than my patterdale, my Cairn didn't nip she took chunks ( NOT OUT OF ME). Could be a problem due to his bite capability, the only real issue is a lack of boundaries but i did have him responding to basic stuff he very nearly sat on first asking even the staff haven't managed that, they have him responding for food at the mo works for so long but it also can be a problem if the handler is rewarding the wrong behaviour.  got a visit on Monday with the behavior team to work out a strict training program for him, he is on a amber list so if it don't work he will go red and not to be rehomed. 

Just seen the biggest meanest Rottweiler i have ever seen i think it may of been a cross something like a Great Dane the dog was massive.  

On 23/09/2021 at 14:30, Carpbell_ll said:

Just back from dave's first visit very nice dog and unbelievably strong and solid nice and friendly with a happy personality, his only problem is he likes to nip like all terriers, so far he has a softer nip than my patterdale, my Cairn didn't nip she took chunks ( NOT OUT OF ME). Could be a problem due to his bite capability, the only real issue is a lack of boundaries but i did have him responding to basic stuff he very nearly sat on first asking even the staff haven't managed that, they have him responding for food at the mo works for so long but it also can be a problem if the handler is rewarding the wrong behaviour.  got a visit on Monday with the behavior team to work out a strict training program for him, he is on a amber list so if it don't work he will go red and not to be rehomed. 

Just seen the biggest meanest Rottweiler i have ever seen i think it may of been a cross something like a Great Dane the dog was massive.  

longer visit today really pleased with him don't get me wrong Dave will start mouthing if he gets worked up but it's not aggression, he has nipped me three times but as soon as he felt the skin under my clothes he released by instinct but kept hold of the clothing, he did it when i was working him without reward, i was told he would, he gets in front and waits for a treat, if he don't get one he gives a little nip tug, if you do the ignore and walk away bit he stops.

such a nice friendly dog just has not got a clue what to do with himself, should be bringing him home in the next week, give me till next spring to turn him into a carp dog still not 100% on what he is the lady today is also into terriers she reckons he is a english x patterdale? i still think he is a irish terrier mix not too sure on the bull terrier either he don't look so bull terrier like in the flesh, very clever dog and can climb like a cat.

Davie is coming home next wednesday will be visiting him on monday, this is going to be fun, i better give it a good go or he will never get rehomed, even most of the staff are scared of him, the way they are handling him and talking about him no one will take him on.  those pesky terriers, good mind to get the local dog trainer lady to help, she really don't like me or terriers, used to let my pattie off lead up the woods he would just disappear  come back half hour later or so, used to really grind her gears lol. 

Forgot to add that's not me knocking dog trainers, i plan on spending two weeks or so at home with mild vocal control and marking when he gets it, just want him to get away from the food rewards then if needed i will go to a few dog trainers to see if i can fine tune the lead work, he's a strong lad cute as hell just need to get him right as he is willful and  aloof at the mo, but he did want to give me a fuss before he went back to the kennels, seems to be a pretty chilled dog around other dogs doesn't seem interested which was the same as the Pattie. 

On 01/02/2018 at 20:40, chillfactor said:

Not the same without my old girl with me especially on the long sessions , my new water allows dogs witch is great as she's getting on now bless her & want to make the most of the time left with her & fishing is a big part of that  . she's been on a load of socials over the years with old members off here never been a problem in fact quite often the first thing mentioned is " are you bringing Jess " 

20170510_113548_zpsmtbrcewk.thumb.jpg.4f4b82f4e8797de1ae997dddcb7765a4.jpg20160406_080504_zps3shfhqn6.thumb.jpg.df148dfdccd78c526692b0bb8b1a2a51.jpg

FB_IMG_1517517544914.jpg

Absolutely gutted , to have had to put my old girl to sleep recently , 14 years by my side really miss having her about . Such a cracking dog . 

Gutted no Davie, he is just too wild to work with at home, everything is a potential standoff and he will get stuck in, stupid people getting him to do stuff for food he has no interest in people due to being a proper stray, so now he is looking to help himself to whatever you have, only one way to end that he needs pinning to the ground for however long it takes to realise he will lose any challenges, it will work for whoever is willing to pin him, but it will also make the dog more aggressive with other people , real shame as he is a very nice dog, got a bite on him that would worry me he really does go in hard hate to think what he could do if he really lost it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 19:27, chillfactor said:

Absolutely gutted , to have had to put my old girl to sleep recently , 14 years by my side really miss having her about . Such a cracking dog . 

Just had to put my dog down today and my god its heartbreaking.

20200623_173806.thumb.jpg.b5ca4807544a4a3c5a62806b30360755.jpg

I nearly didn't go in with her because I was inconsolable but had to be there for her and im not afraid to say I've been crying like a baby all day. I feel your pain. Like you 14yrs old and had her since a pup. I feel empty as does the house. 

12 hours ago, emmcee said:

Just had to put my dog down today and my god its heartbreaking.

20200623_173806.thumb.jpg.b5ca4807544a4a3c5a62806b30360755.jpg

I nearly didn't go in with her because I was inconsolable but had to be there for her and im not afraid to say I've been crying like a baby all day. I feel your pain. Like you 14yrs old and had her since a pup. I feel empty as does the house. 

So sorry to hear this mate.... horrible thing to have to do , like I said,  there was no holding back the tears . As a family we took on a rescue dog while jess was still about. They got on really well the time they had together & its definitely helped still having a dog about the place . Your right though heartbreaking. IMG-20210623-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e515112dfe099317c633c7117598c335.jpg

Edited by chillfactor

53 minutes ago, Highy said:

Sorry pal, its like losing a family member. 

You're not wrong there mate. The house feels empty.  No barking or seeing a wagging tail through the glass as you get to the front door. Same as when I come downstairs every morning,  she would always be sat there waiting for me. Going to take a lot of getting used to.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Highy said:

Not fishing with him.... BUT he turns 2 today... Spoilt like a child, bandana, balloons, presents and card. 

Screenshot_20211118_084907.thumb.jpg.c976de01771dce1539ce6b93711dfa29.jpg

ha ha spoilt pooch still looking myself got to be the right dog super friendly is my only request, everytime a apply for a nice dog i don't hear back, one that's a bit bitey and they get intouch with me. can't risk it the mrs is no good around dominant dogs my cairn had her well wary of dogs so got to be another stupid one, bullied by a cairn, she was a bad ass cairn mind that's how she ended up in the centre, could only be handled with a muzzle on, apart from me i could shower and hand strip her fur, had to do it myself as the dog salon woman wouldn't go near her. lol more cat than dog. she really did take chunks out the mrs once.  

not being stupid about the cairn biting the Mrs it was bonfire night and the dog was hiding from the fireworks, i said leave her, but the Mrs went over and tried to pick her up, the dog latched onto her hand and used her arm like a rope ladder really did make a mess, only problem was one was wary of the other and the other knew it and really did play up from then on. never did it again but really did push it and found it entertaining, the most evil dog i have ever known. and i have homed pitbulls before, Drum he was a lovely dog didn't have a mean thing about him. 

• 4 weeks later...

next contenders don't hold much hope of getting these have offered to home both dogs as i have before from DT they are up in Newcastle offered to pick them up at the end of this month, they seem to of gone a bit quite since i turned dave down, he needs a single adult home that can keep him in his place i think if i did that he would look for someone else to push around. 

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/1251911/sam?fbclid=IwAR0ijLrGVYHR3-LMlvsF1-eF3p4eROxe0WMcXvVKGSsZALV6HcR7on8N7LI

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/1251910/ben?fbclid=IwAR0JnSJ8wRubYdZ6wAel6u3zLDluroMxZtRov4Qw6u40EVHHbNe_RBQUqqM

That's a nope for ben and sam, gutted about that could of had a lovely pair of dogs there, they were right, would love to know where they came from, deff british or irish. 

So i won't be spent out this side of the new year, wonder if WL will take my deposit, don't think i will be getting Murle, any other mix i'd be fine with but i meet a lot of serious pet terrier keepers when out, might get the odd frown. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so reg popped up and he is just right gat carpin dog all over him, got my bid in not holding much hope other than he sounds like a proper jack by nature some people don't like that in a busy home so maybe.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/eve~~~~~n~~/1251906/reg

4 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

OK, so reg popped up and he is just right gat carpin dog all over him, got my bid in not holding much hope other than he sounds like a proper jack by nature some people don't like that in a busy home so maybe.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/eve~~~~~n~~/1251906/reg

Looks and sounds like a decent dog... Little bit of TLC at that age and who knows. 

Nice colours for a Jack russel though. 

Good luck on that 1 pal. 

oh well no reg, can't blame them he was suited for a family so bound to get first dibs on a friendly pup, there is a Harrier that looks nice soft and friendly but they want him to go to a home that has a friendly dog to show him it's ok to toilet off the lead, had that before with dogs. he also don't like most other dogs so that's going to be a struggle. do like the look of him though, looks fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Bobbin, meet bobbin might be in luck with this one he is local and come off the new in list think he may be a Beagle cross Dalmatian in fact i'm sure he is, said to be a real lively dog and friendly, never had a Dalmatian not many come up to be rehomed.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/ken~~~~~n~~/1251974/bobbin

30 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Bobbin, meet bobbin might be in luck with this one he is local and come off the new in list think he may be a Beagle cross Dalmatian in fact i'm sure he is, said to be a real lively dog and friendly, never had a Dalmatian not many come up to be rehomed.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/ken~~~~~n~~/1251974/bobbin

Looks a lively chappy, can see the Beagle shape and the Dalmatian looking head/ears, also colour. 🤞

Ha, nothing back about Bobb and he is still on offer right funny lot up there Dave is also still on offer  his description of behaviour has changed, basically he is a fighting dog  not the sort you see as pets what a patterdale is to terrier dogs Dave is the same for your pitt type bull terriers his agility for a bull terrier is similar to a cat  also you can't read him which is what put me off i have never seen a dog like that before, plus who ever thought it would be a good idea to have him originally couldn't handle him and turned him loose.