Dogs and fishing

jh92

A few months ago I had to get my jack russell put down because she had a tumor and now I'm starting to think about getting another one. She made an amazing friend but was terrible when it came to fishing and would have to be left at home. Not sure if its because it was in her nature, but she wouldn't settle, she would walk around sniffing everything until she got scent/sight of something and just give chase. Also had selective hearing and wouldn't come back when she was focused on something lol.

My question is do different breeds of dogs do better than others and is there any I should look at in particular? 

4 hours ago, jh92 said:

A few months ago I had to get my jack russell put down because she had a tumor and now I'm starting to think about getting another one. She made an amazing friend but was terrible when it came to fishing and would have to be left at home. Not sure if its because it was in her nature, but she wouldn't settle, she would walk around sniffing everything until she got scent/sight of something and just give chase. Also had selective hearing and wouldn't come back when she was focused on something lol.

My question is do different breeds of dogs do better than others and is there any I should look at in particular? 

Sorry to hear that fella. As spr1985 said I think it really comes down to training a close friend of mine takes his Golden lab with him but they tend to be fairly docile by nature. 

It's mainly down to the owner, if you've had training in how to look after your dog and are confident in doing so then you should be alright. I had an Alsatian I used to take fishing and he was fine, unfortunately the dogs I've had since have been family dogs and my family is not trainable. I currently have a re-homed lab / lurcher cross and she is skittish and there is no way without tying her down that I could keep her in one place.

15 minutes ago, smufter said:

Jacks, by their nature, will chase after anything and everything.

Mate of mine has got a well behaved one, but even she will be off at the merest whiff of a rabbit or rat.

Funny thing is, they'll chase it if it moves.... If it stops they are clueless..... The cat learned that one..... Archie just looks confused when the cat stops and stares at him..... Rodents will keep on the move, that's why they get caught 

9 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

What a little blinder 

Yeah he really is... The original owners thought he was  vicious. But it was because they'd fed him loads of sweets and biscuits and some of his teeth were rotten and his jaw was swollen as a result... He wouldn't let anyone too near him, especially other dogs. But once I got his teeth sorted and a few taken out he was a completely different dog. I think he's just grateful to have a pain free life now. He always looks scruffy, he's got real character.

2 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

I love dogs, and have a few. Would I take them fishing? I tried once, never again. @salokcinnodrog takes his I believe. His must be better behaved than mine. I saw a video online with a guy in the uk that takes his ferit with him, again, better behaved than my dogs.

Sky has her moments! :shock::?

Like when a muntjac comes past. She is out after it like a shot. She ran out of the bivvy so fast she managed to bend a storm pole, as the long lead was attached to my bedchair, which also got moved towards the bivvy door. Siberian Huskies are a breed that aren't usually able to be  let off the lead at all. They get something into their head and just run, their recall is also terrible. They only follow or behave to a dominant owner, so although people may think I am overly strict with her, she respects that. 

I have managed to get her to behave when she is off lead in the swim, the camou screen now serves another purpose, although she has managed to go over it, but a very sharp shout made her realise not to go anywhere.

Huskies as well as being able to jump a 6feet fence, can dig very quickly. I have seen her dig a hole to her back legs in soft soil in 2minutes. While most people think of huskies being sledge dogs, they are also hunting dogs for the Siberian Chuchki people.

The heterochromia, one blue and one brown eye is a husky trait as well. They can have either blue or brown eyes, unlike most breeds who have brown eyes, but they can have one of each.

Even on a walk at home I don't let her off the lead unless in a fenced enclosure!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not the same without my old girl with me especially on the long sessions , my new water allows dogs witch is great as she's getting on now bless her & want to make the most of the time left with her & fishing is a big part of that  . she's been on a load of socials over the years with old members off here never been a problem in fact quite often the first thing mentioned is " are you bringing Jess " 

20170510_113548_zpsmtbrcewk.thumb.jpg.4f4b82f4e8797de1ae997dddcb7765a4.jpg20160406_080504_zps3shfhqn6.thumb.jpg.df148dfdccd78c526692b0bb8b1a2a51.jpg

FB_IMG_1517517544914.jpg

She's a goodun lads no doubt, her legs have just started to play up this last year or so . Been giving her a supplement the last few months & have definitely noticed she's not quite so stiff/ lame after exercise & is generally moving a little easier, there' no miracle cure for old age but think it's making her more comfortable so going to stick with it .

Mans best friend without doubt. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2018 at 20:11, levigsp said:

In a couple of weeks I head abroad to pick up another puppy, I am going to get to know him very well as I will spend a month or so with him on the bank everyday!, that should achieve two things I think.

What breed you getting mate? Hope you enjoy your trip!! 

We've decided to get a female staffy and have started to look for a puppy, love the blue ones but they seem quite expensive lol 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:37, jh92 said:

What breed you getting mate? Hope you enjoy your trip!! 

We've decided to get a female staffy and have started to look for a puppy, love the blue ones but they seem quite expensive lol 

I got a GSP dog from Slovenia and everything went to plan except the fishing, air temps in the 30s stopped play! although I did get a few rudd and vimba.

I've just introduced a mate of mine to White Cottage, and he has a Frenchie as a bivvy buddy. 

He bought him along for a 72 hour session the other week, what an absolute corker of a dog.

So well behaved, superb temperament and great character.

Steve, our bailiff, has a beautiful Collie named Jess. She's a right character, always wanting you to throw sticks for her, and if you do it the once, she won't leave you alone! She can hear a sausage roll being unwrapped from 300 yards away too!! 

I'd love a dog to take with me, but with the wife and I both working full time it rules it out for a few more years.

Edited by smufter

1 hour ago, smufter said:

I've just introduced a mate of mine to White Cottage, and he has a Frenchie as a bivvy buddy. 

He bought him along for a 72 hour session the other week, what an absolute corker of a dog.

So well behaved, superb temperament and great character.

You sure it’s a frenchie smufter? That description couldn’t be further away from my frenchie 🤣😂 mines a little... (I best stop in my tracks I don’t want a ban) 

B30310F8-46DA-4FA0-A551-8FAFCC032D49.jpeg