Gas Bottle problem

Hi everyone has anyone got any tips for keeping the gas bottle warmer during these cold winter nights?. I've got a cover for it but its usually got so cold overnight that the gas trickles out in the morning which is a pain when you're gagging for that first brew in the morning.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, frogy said:

Hi everyone has anyone got any tips for keeping the gas bottle warmer during these cold winter nights?. I've got a cover for it but its usually got so cold overnight that the gas trickles out in the morning which is a pain when you're gagging for that first brew in the morning.

Thanks.

Try using an isobutene gas for winter. It should be good down to -10 whereas normal butane is only good down to 0.

I think Jetboil gas is made using isobutene.

Get Butane/iso-butane/propane gas canisters, rather than plain butane propane mix.

Simple tip; never boil more water than you need. 

I do laugh (and cringe) when I see 'go petrol stove'. After issues with Coleman stoves on the bank I will never ever use a petrol stove on the bank again. I had a Peak1 stove fail on the bank. It refused to open the valve, despite being properly serviced. After taking it apart, servicing it on the bank, it eventually sprayed me with petrol. Thank goodness my Mrs had the foresight to tip a bottle of water over my face and head.

Add to that, carrying a spare gas canister in the rucksack is easy, extra petrol is more awkward, needing a fuel can explicitly, plus the added risk of petrol on the hands as you fill up.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but worth bringing back up again regarding gas canisters.

I am positive I've made the point in the past about camping and caravan stores being cheaper than tackle shops.
This week I came back via my local George Sharman Camping and Caravan and decided to grab a couple of GoSysten canisters as I was passing.
£5.50 each compared to £5.99 or £6.99 in a couple of my local tackle shops.

Right for the anal out there, a list of canisters I have used and I think the best to worst, these are all Propane/butane/iso-butane.

Primus and GoSystem. They both will run until empty with no need to shake or warm. In winter they are my preference
Sunn Gas, I hadn't seen these anywhere except one of my local tackle shops, it did require a shake but worked until empty.
CADAC, will work, but in winter may need tipping on its side to completely empty.
Coleman, the premium name, yet the worst gas canister. Even in summer they need shaking or tipping on their side to empty. In winter they need heating up before you can get a decent burn out of them, even at almost new.

I've never liked the look of these type of cookers/stoves, far too small, prone to going over. With my dinner in, no, no! 

Camping gas stove, comfortably takes my fryng pan. Millets shop today, £12 for 8 cans of gas. That will see me through the rest of the year. 

IMG-20211225-WA0000.jpeg

Screenshot_20220601-191256.png

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Coleman, the premium name, yet the worst gas canister.

I haven't used the rest but do find Colemans tend to run out when there is still plenty of gas in the canister. Being naturally tight and with the huge rise in gas prices, I recently bought a valve that connects two cylinders together. You put the fuller cylinder in a freezer to cool it right down and then put the other cylinder atop, open the valve and the gas should flow downwards and condense and start a flow until the top one is empty. I can confirm that it doesn't work!

14 hours ago, commonly said:

I've never liked the look of these type of cookers/stoves, far too small, prone to going over. With my dinner in, no, no! 

Camping gas stove, comfortably takes my fryng pan. Millets shop today, £12 for 8 cans of gas. That will see me through the rest of the year. 

IMG-20211225-WA0000.jpeg

I actually found one of these terrible. 

I reviewed one for Johnson Ross Tackle and found that my Bialetti and saucepan were actually too small to sit on the 'rings'.

The small fold down Bulin or Webtex Warrior type stoves are more stable.

The other thing you might find is the gas for that is NOT good in winter 

14 hours ago, commonly said:

IMG-20211225-WA0000.jpeg

I have one of these type stoves that Halfords sell , I think they’re great .

mine came with a griddle/hot plate that fits on the top to fry up me sausies & bacon etc and along with my Ridgemonkey toastier thingy does me fine .

much better than those Coleman type stoves .

• 7 months later...
On 01/06/2022 at 17:18, salokcinnodrog said:

I know this is an old thread, but worth bringing back up again regarding gas canisters.

I am positive I've made the point in the past about camping and caravan stores being cheaper than tackle shops.
This week I came back via my local George Sharman Camping and Caravan and decided to grab a couple of GoSysten canisters as I was passing.
£5.50 each compared to £5.99 or £6.99 in a couple of my local tackle shops.

Right for the anal out there, a list of canisters I have used and I think the best to worst, these are all Propane/butane/iso-butane.

Primus and GoSystem. They both will run until empty with no need to shake or warm. In winter they are my preference
Sunn Gas, I hadn't seen these anywhere except one of my local tackle shops, it did require a shake but worked until empty.
CADAC, will work, but in winter may need tipping on its side to completely empty.
Coleman, the premium name, yet the worst gas canister. Even in summer they need shaking or tipping on their side to empty. In winter they need heating up before you can get a decent burn out of them, even at almost new.

Right an add on this:

To give them a fair chance I bought a pack of 6 Sunn Gas canisters.

They have now been used in winter weather down to -4⁰C and I can say that they do need a bit of warm water under them when the gas is nearly out at air  temperatures below around 6⁰.

On 02/06/2022 at 10:14, newmarket said:

I have one of these type stoves that Halfords sell , I think they’re great .

mine came with a griddle/hot plate that fits on the top to fry up me sausies & bacon etc and along with my Ridgemonkey toastier thingy does me fine .

much better than those Coleman type stoves .

You can get GoSystem Butane propane mix canisters for them as well.

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2018 at 19:18, frogy said:

Thanks.

I use a  reusable hand warmer gel packet, crack it, put it in the bottom of the bottle cover. Warms up the bottle 👍, loads of camping ones about, I found the round 1s are the best... Hope this helps 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Carpbell3 said:

I used a NGT branded one last week worked well even through the night. I always carry a small winter can just incase.

I have a system along the lines of a started canister is in the rucksack, so I put a full one in. The started canister runs out (usually) mid session, so as soon as I get home I put a new one in the rucksack, ad infinitum...

• 9 months later...