Baiting Pole

There a little cumbersome but a great tool. I use 14 metre maver medusa. Got it second hand 50 quid. Dont go fishing with out it. Gardener bait spoon and net float its perfect. I no there a few companies doing bait poles and they do the job but a second hand half decent 12 metre plus match pole much lighter and is the best way to go imo. Longer the better. 

10 hours ago, chillfactor said:

fantastic bit of kit mate ... spooning a rig out on the money & tight baiting on those margin spots is a real winner in my eyes .

always fills me with confidence , I need to get a longer one myself  for my syndi next year plenty of possibilities on there with one .

I see Corus do a 18M Pole , is that what you are thinking about Chill. ? 

10 hours ago, LJC carper said:

There a little cumbersome but a great tool. I use 14 metre maver medusa. Got it second hand 50 quid. Dont go fishing with out it. Gardener bait spoon and net float its perfect. I no there a few companies doing bait poles and they do the job but a second hand half decent 12 metre plus match pole much lighter and is the best way to go imo. Longer the better. 

I'm all for spending less money so I'll investigate Match Poles LJC .

Thanks for the answers fellas .

:)

Not sure on the material mate. For the amount of time I use it, the weight isn't an issue. To be fair, I haven't noticed it at all. As most people who know me will will tell you, I take the absolute minimum kit with me, apart from bait. The pole is always in my quiver and if the weight was an issue, I wouldn't be carrying it! 

20 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Not sure on the material mate. For the amount of time I use it, the weight isn't an issue. To be fair, I haven't noticed it at all. As most people who know me will will tell you, I take the absolute minimum kit with me, apart from bait. The pole is always in my quiver and if the weight was an issue, I wouldn't be carrying it! 

Fair enough mate. Like you say for amount of time you actually use it, its neither here nor there.

• 4 months later...
On 11/19/2017 at 02:34, B.C. said:

2mtrs 20mm black electricians conduit 99p Wickes (fill with expanding foam to keep rigid)..  Solvent weld male and female screw connectors 60p for 2, Some pipe lagging to use as floats about £1 a metre, with some stick on Velcro fastenings to hold the float on also about £1 a metre...... 20mtre baiting pole for about £20,  extra 2mtre sections about £3 each........ I'll be making one in the new year, I'll post it up....... Seen them used, and they work......

Hey B.C. Did ya ever make one of these, any pics?

2 hours ago, rob79 said:

Hey B.C. Did ya ever make one of these, any pics?

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago funny enough, as I was fumbling through the shed and found a couple of lengths of conduit. I just haven't got round to it. Since new year we've had snow, rain, snow ,rain it seems, whenever I've had any spare time.......As soon as I do, I'll post something up. I'll definitely be needing some kind of baiting pole on a couple of new waters.....

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

One question. How do you ensure you rig lays out as you would hitting the clip? 

I've thought this one through a few times......... Does a rig lay flat on the lake bed just because it's flat as it hits the water?..... Surely the lead sinking faster than the rig will effect this? I would think that the rig is vertical to the lead as it sinks.

Anti tangle sleeve, small weight/putty half way down the rig and a couple of nuggets at the hook end should help with the rig straightening out as it sinks on the deck with a semi stiff hook link.... Maybe a slight tug once it's on the deck, if the bottom allows, before the nuggets rise..

I watched a fella using a homemade set up last year on Snake Pit, similar to what I described, that's where I got the idea from. He'd cut a "v" shape at the front of the little platform and just jerked the whole thing off (There's probably a smutty joke in there somewhere :)). Once the rig and lead were off, he was able to lower it slowly by paying off some line. The "v" also helped with line lay on the retrieve of his baiting pole. He'd clearly been using it a while and made it look quite easy, but probably takes a bit of getting used to.

I'll try and get something done over the next fortnight....... The year is flying by already.

6 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago funny enough, as I was fumbling through the shed and found a couple of lengths of conduit. I just haven't got round to it. Since new year we've had snow, rain, snow ,rain it seems, whenever I've had any spare time.......As soon as I do, I'll post something up. I'll definitely be needing some kind of baiting pole on a couple of new waters.....

I've thought this one through a few times......... Does a rig lay flat on the lake bed just because it's flat as it hits the water?..... Surely the lead sinking faster than the rig will effect this? I would think that the rig is vertical to the lead as it sinks.

Anti tangle sleeve, small weight/putty half way down the rig and a couple of nuggets at the hook end should help with the rig straightening out as it sinks on the deck with a semi stiff hook link.... Maybe a slight tug once it's on the deck, if the bottom allows, before the nuggets rise..

I watched a fella using a homemade set up last year on Snake Pit, similar to what I described, that's where I got the idea from. He'd cut a "v" shape at the front of the little platform and just jerked the whole thing off (There's probably a smutty joke in there somewhere :)). Once the rig and lead were off, he was able to lower it slowly by paying off some line. The "v" also helped with line lay on the retrieve of his baiting pole. He'd clearly been using it a while and made it look quite easy, but probably takes a bit of getting used to.

I'll try and get something done over the next fortnight....... The year is flying by already.

Cheers mate. I could see myself requiring one when I switch venues and casting room is restricted. 

Bet it is an art. I use anti tangle and foam so I'd assume it goes straight once it melts off and sinks just the line lay for the first couple feet. Almost need to tighten up to the lead and then re-slacken to make sure it's straight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I went and bought a few bits tonight, enough for a 12mtr baiting pole...I'll try and get it done over the next couple of days, depending on the weather, comes to around £30, but there will be stuff left over for extra sections.......

I did see this on the bay yesterday..£150 which goes 18mtres, carbon pole, probably less bulky than the one I'm having a go at.. If I had a spare £150, I'd be tempted.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corus-18m-Long-Reach-Baiting-Pole-Includes-Float-And-Spoon-Carp-Fishing-Tackle/263216597298?hash=item3d48ee8932:m:mOZ2UDDlqCR173KscnQ9m7w

Just gonna try and knock something up , for those on a tight budget. Should have some pics, hopefully some from the bank too, by the weekend.

7 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Ok, so I went and bought a few bits tonight, enough for a 12mtr baiting pole...I'll try and get it done over the next couple of days, depending on the weather, comes to around £30, but there will be stuff left over for extra sections.......

I did see this on the bay yesterday..£150 which goes 18mtres, carbon pole, probably less bulky than the one I'm having a go at.. If I had a spare £150, I'd be tempted.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corus-18m-Long-Reach-Baiting-Pole-Includes-Float-And-Spoon-Carp-Fishing-Tackle/263216597298?hash=item3d48ee8932:m:mOZ2UDDlqCR173KscnQ9m7w

Just gonna try and knock something up , for those on a tight budget. Should have some pics, hopefully some from the bank too, by the weekend.

That corus one is the one I have mate, if you want to take a look have a feel you know where I am 😉

3 hours ago, spr1985 said:

That corus one is the one I have mate, if you want to take a look have a feel you know where I am 😉

Nice one mate..... Have you had a chance to use it yet?.. Looks ideal for the days only lake. Did a recent work party over there and there are plenty of swims where I recon it would be very useful, especially when any weed or pads sprout up. Also because of the overhead branches on some swims making casting a bit awkward..........

I've literally banned myself from buying any extra kit for a while. Last couple of seasons I've been a bit of a kid in a sweet shop. Some is unused . I'm going to have a massive clear out before I start buying any bigger purchases again. The makeshift pole will do me for now, both on the club lake and on another lake I joined where there are a lot of tight,close in spots.... 

B.C - looking forward to your pics, i saw the 99p black electricians conduit https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Round-Conduit---Black-20mm-x-2m/p/109639

and as i want to build a 20 meter baiting-pole, just wondering @ 10 sections 20mm diameter is it going to be a bit bulky carrying-around-wise all together? cos i expect will have to keep the sections in another rod-bag?

yea i have that corus 150 quid baiting-pole on my fleabay watch list, don't really want to spend that kind of money, i mean ya looking at a guy here who made his OWN bivvy years ago ha ha!

though i think a home-made baiting-pole would be a lot stronger, i've seen the corus baiting-pole in use on YT { youtube.com/watch?v=MLJeduY7SqU } AND i think it looks a bit flimsy/weak?

but i do like that its tidy all the poles in one section tube.

@spr1985 - what are your thoughts on this corus baiting-pole, the carbon pole sections look very thin wall section? have you used it much? worth the money? CHEERS!

Edited by rob79

Was having a play with a baiting pole at the weekend. One of the lads had an old 20m pole. Bought second hand for a few quid. He’d binned the top sections and bought the spare top kit from cygnet and Job done. 

Could a less time consuming but slightly more expensive way around it. Not sure how it would cope with lots of bait though. We just used it to drop a rig right to some snags with a handful of bait. 

15 hours ago, B.C. said:

Nice one mate..... Have you had a chance to use it yet?.. Looks ideal for the days only lake. Did a recent work party over there and there are plenty of swims where I recon it would be very useful, especially when any weed or pads sprout up. Also because of the overhead branches on some swims making casting a bit awkward..........

Only used it in one session so far mate, on boreham mere, straight up the side of a set of pads purely for baiting accuracy. If it’s the water I’m thinking of you won’t need to worry about pads I’ve not seen any on there in two seasons as for weed.....now that’s another story! 

Maz for the over head branches.....now you know why I switched to scopes 😉

8 hours ago, rob79 said:

@spr1985 - what are your thoughts on this corus baiting-pole, the carbon pole sections look very thin wall section? have you used it much? worth the money? CHEERS!

I think it was money well spent mate, all of the joints are reinforced obviously I can’t give to much of an in depth review as a) I’m rubbish at them and b) I have only used it once. Happy with it so far though. 

6 hours ago, greekskii said:

P.s. I believe the cygnet baiting poles are about £117 at angling direct 

I’m sure that’s correct mate, only thing I’ll point out is the cygnet is only 12 meters vs the corus 18 meters, the cygnet is pole only whereas the corus comes with float and spoon . 

Also the cygnet extension pieces are in my opinion rather expensive and I think would take you way past the £150 mark to reach the same length as the corus 

Edited by spr1985

9 hours ago, rob79 said:

B.C - looking forward to your pics, i saw the 99p black electricians conduit https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Round-Conduit---Black-20mm-x-2m/p/109639

and as i want to build a 20 meter baiting-pole, just wondering @ 10 sections 20mm diameter is it going to be a bit bulky carrying-around-wise all together? cos i expect will have to keep the sections in another rod-bag?

yea i have that corus 150 quid baiting-pole on my fleabay watch list, don't really want to spend that kind of money, i mean ya looking at a guy here who made his OWN bivvy years ago ha ha!

though i think a home-made baiting-pole would be a lot stronger, i've seen the corus baiting-pole in use on YT { youtube.com/watch?v=MLJeduY7SqU } AND i think it looks a bit flimsy/weak?

but i do like that its tidy all the poles in one section tube.

TBH, I doubt it will go in a quiver/ rod holdall. And yes, it will be more bulk than a shop bought version.. I was thinking, a couple of bungee loops to fasten it all together and chuck it on the barrow. At the end of the day, it's extra kit, so will take up "some" room, although weight wise, shouldn't be much of a problem on a decent barrow....................

It's a cheap offering that will get someone by and give a few more options on the bank. I can't say that it would be at all better than  a shop bought one, but I've seen one in use and it did the job.