New Boilie

frogy

Hi everyone just a quick question, do some boilies not work on some waters?. The reason I ask is that me and my mate have bought some new nut based boilies from a local supplier, now I know big carp have been caught on them at other local lakes and they are a quality bait but don't know if anyone on our syndicate waters use them. We used them on a 48hr session on our hard, low stock water a couple of weeks ago and didn't even get a run, to be fair I don't think much was caught by anyone else either. My mate has gone to our runs water today just for the day, one rod on the krill and one rod on the new bait, he's had so far 4 carp all to the krill but nothing on the new bait this is why I was just wondering if maybe the new bait doesn't suite our waters or if that's possible.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

A new bait has to be introduced on mass to be acceptable,

No it doesn't. I fish all over the country alot of places never seen my bait before but if I get on the fish and present it well there every chance of catching them weather they have seen the bait before or not. Some lakes im lucky enugh to fish have never seen bait yet ive caught on single pop ups to showing fish within minutes. Some lakes do show a preference but for  48 hours isn't long enough to say weather a bait is going to work or not.

3 hours ago, frogy said:

Hi everyone just a quick question, do some boilies not work on some waters?. The reason I ask is that me and my mate have bought some new nut based boilies from a local supplier, now I know big carp have been caught on them at other local lakes and they are a quality bait but don't know if anyone on our syndicate waters use them. We used them on a 48hr session on our hard, low stock water a couple of weeks ago and didn't even get a run, to be fair I don't think much was caught by anyone else either. My mate has gone to our runs water today just for the day, one rod on the krill and one rod on the new bait, he's had so far 4 carp all to the krill but nothing on the new bait this is why I was just wondering if maybe the new bait doesn't suite our waters or if that's possible.

Thanks.

Bet he didn't swap the hot rod on to the new bait did he? That would have told you enough if he had done. 

4 hours ago, LJC carper said:

No it doesn't. I fish all over the country alot of places never seen my bait before but if I get on the fish and present it well there every chance of catching them weather they have seen the bait before or not. Some lakes im lucky enugh to fish have never seen bait yet ive caught on single pop ups to showing fish within minutes. Some lakes do show a preference but for  48 hours isn't long enough to say weather a bait is going to work or not.

sooo! not nit picking here but,,,,,,, in your own words, "48 hours isn't long enough to say weather a bait is going to work or not" yet you also say "Some lakes im lucky enugh to fish have never seen bait yet ive caught on single pop ups to showing fish within minutes"? surely an instant take will signal acceptance of your bait. :wink:

6 hours ago, frogy said:

I was just wondering if maybe the new bait doesn't suite our waters or if that's possible.

Thanks.

gotta ask, were you not satisfied with the performance of the old bait?

3 hours ago, Big Common said:

I've always found a good time to introduce a new bait is around February, just before they wake up a bit for Spring and usually a time when there are fewer anglers about and less bait going in to compete with yours.

as BC says, i would start to introduce the new bait sometime in mid jan and thru feb, just a few spots that you know they visit.

treat it as a prebaiting campaign with groats and tares too, a couple of scoops here and there is what i would do. :wink:

52 minutes ago, cyborx said:

sooo! not nit picking here but,,,,,,, in your own words, "48 hours isn't long enough to say weather a bait is going to work or not" yet you also say "Some lakes im lucky enugh to fish have never seen bait yet ive caught on single pop ups to showing fish within minutes"? surely an instant take will signal acceptance of your bait. :wink:

Of coarse. My point was you don't necessarily have to mass bait with boilies  to catch carp on them you can catch on them instantly. Just because you dont catch on a bait within 48 hours doesnt mean its the bait. Could be a number of other things. Also there arnt any rules but the way cm talks it's as if there are fixed rules and he knows them and that's that. 

I'm with LJC on this one. A decent bait needs no introduction and doesn't blow IMO. It's where you put it that counts.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:20, frogy said:

We used them on a 48hr session on our hard, low stock water a couple of weeks ago and didn't even get a run, to be fair I don't think much was caught by anyone else either.

Were you on fish bud?

I'm primarily a boilie angler i.e. I will use my fave boilies until I see activity that indicates a need to change. That means I'd have to be in no doubt that I'd presented my baits on a feeding spot and that carp were feeding on that spot yet refused to take the baits. Even then I'd think about changing to a particle rather than a different boilie recipe.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:20, frogy said:

me and my mate have bought some new nut based boilies from a local supplier

Can we ask what they were fella?

A good bait is a good bait, on most waters, although it may be that some ingredients, or baits don't work as well on some. It may be that that bait has been used and fish are wary of it; that is when prebaiting may work best, although most baits will usually be taken from the off. 

CM's comment may be correct, in that carp that have not regularly been fished for with boilies may need prebaiting before they take them, but most fish will try anything that resembles food, especially if you can find natural feeding spots, or gives off a good food signal.

On 21 October 2017 at 12:20, frogy said:

My mate has gone to our runs water today just for the day, one rod on the krill and one rod on the new bait, he's had so far 4 carp all to the krill but nothing on the new bait this is why I was just wondering if maybe the new bait doesn't suite our waters or if that's possible.

Did he swap the baits or rods over?

Fish can shoal up very closely, a bait 2 metres away from them can be ignored totally, yet the bait on the spot will catch. Just because he didn't catch on the 'nuts', it doesn't mean they won't work, it may just be that they weren't in the right spot.

Saying that, when I first fished Taverham, birdfood baits were ignored, you had to be on a fishmeal Salmon Oil bait, probably down to so much being prebaited and fished, and yes, I soon got in on a good fishmeal.

When New Concept baits were bought out by Bob Church, I switched back and tried Enervite Gold until I went onto Big Fish Mix. Enervite Gold did not catch either, it was from NC's Mariner Mix, the best change was BFM with a low dose of Salmon Oil, until it got fished by more anglers from further afield, and more different baits got used.

Basically the fish weren't getting just one bait anymore.

This may help a bit, albeit mostly fishmeal based, there is a bit that is relevant.

I'm very much of the opinion that if you are fishing a good food bait, then the more you can prebait then the better you will do. 

Its very difficult to do though if you are fishing a water irregularly, unless prebaiting still, or on day ticket waters, where almost everyone is going to be fishing a different bait.

I have seen baits totally dominate a water, Trigga and New Concept Baits Mariner Mix for me, (the Mariner Mix almost everyone fishing the lake was fishing that bait), Grange CSL and Active8 on the Essex Grange when that was a Mainline test bed, as well as other baits. 

We say fish will accept any good bait, at times they may well avoid baited areas. Not because the bait is no good, but simply because they are wary of being caught until the bait has been in the water for a while.

Sweetcorn is a good bait, a good source of Lysine, a reasonable profile, yet CM and I have both seen carp avoid it. It can still work, either increase the quantities to bigger amounts, or to make it as part of another particle bed, or possibly a grain on its own.

On Bromeswell, a tiny little water, the only boilie I have been catching consistently on is my own Garlic Spice pop-ups. I have caught a few fish on Solar Red Herring, a few on some dog food based baits I made with a mate, but the best catchers I have heard have been tiny white Ringers Shellfish boilies 8mm. 

The Red Herring are a very good bait, but I just don't get many fish on them, even over particle, or pellets.

I'm convinced the smaller fish are more sight feeders, taking the more visible white or pale baits.