Jump to content

How you choose a Boilie!


TM1985
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

caught more carp than any boilie, add KP to the mix and go back 40 years , lakes with zilch carp, the peanut was king and still is, the river and canal, sweetcorn is the only bait for me, bream and all.

I never had a touch on peanuts. Fish in the swim, 48 hours, not a sausage. Put boilies back on and caught three or so. Would never bother again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cherry carp. Cowboys. 

Solar actually uses the same marketing though shortly after. Think it helped them shift the old stock before the release of the new stuff this year. I saw some of the chilli club a 'tester' got. Not what I'd seen in the past, poor compared to it. Took some to use. Even the coots wouldn't have it!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok back on topic a bit maybe

I go for advertising and I like to use a bait that everyone else is on and thus good and accepted and normal

I like to feel part of a brand and feel cool. I don't mind paying over the odds for that good feeling and never question the bait.

I just pile it in and also use the same rigs as everyone else and buy really expensive bivvies as well. I go fishing once every five years as I have no money left for the tickets due to recently buying the latest alarms and bivvy and indicators and rods and bankware and 100 kilos of the new sherbertty fruit fizz yellow old bait

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lee Kashan said:

Ok back on topic a bit maybe

I go for advertising and I like to use a bait that everyone else is on and thus good and accepted and normal

I like to feel part of a brand and feel cool. I don't mind paying over the odds for that good feeling and never question the bait.

I just pile it in and also use the same rigs as everyone else and buy really expensive bivvies as well. I go fishing once every five years as I have no money left for the tickets due to recently buying the latest alarms and bivvy and indicators and rods and bankware and 100 kilos of the new sherbertty fruit fizz yellow old bait

sounds about right to me :wink:  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okey cokey, from the start:

What makes me choose a bait?

I choose my bait on what I understand about that and the water i'm fishing, what works. Maybe having some understanding of bait, food and nutrition helps.

I am sure everyone also remembers The Bait and Feed co debacle as well. Their own baits were good, but you canna roll and cut other bait companies base mixes. I really got the Particle or Tiger Nut 42 working on Ardleigh Reservoir, and then followed it up with Smokey Mackeral and Smokey Bacon on Nazeing. I had no problems with those baits at all, plenty of fish, but the debacle saw me move over to genuine Solar baits. Cherry Carp were originally Solar by name, but as said Martin Locke made his choice, so they changed their name.

 

Before that there was my version of Trigga on Earith. I had used the basic Trigga on Trimley, and caught a number of fish on it, including the Top Lakes first 20lb carp. I took it onto Earith knowing the bait would work, but I knew a couple of tweaks could improve it. Those tweaks were simply Sweet Cajouser, Liver Elite and Green Lipped Mussel Extract.

I had been using Nutrabaits bits for a fair time before that, The Biollix with Cinnamon and Peach, which caught from Taverham, The river and other local lakes.

 

I got onto Seafod Takeaway on Nazeing, and it catches, as does Tunamino.

 

Lets get onto flavours. 

Some flavours have genuine attraction, it may be the flavour solvent, it may be the chemical makeup, that may or may not be the attractor, or it may be the actual flavour from the natural extract or ester. No-one can tell me that N-butyric acid is a lovely smell, but i think it is the base for Scopex.

I gave my Trigga recipe with Liver Elite to a Nutrabaits tester, one who has plenty of respect within the industry, and he acknowledged it had something extra over the standard sold ready made version either freezer or shelf life.

 

Essential Oils, EO's. They can improve a bait big time, but normally at low levels. Garlic Oil as an example is 1/2 a drop in 6 eggs, and half a drop is pretty impossible to get, so is usually cut with another oil. As a single hookbait however...

On Bromeswell, Nazeing and Thwaite my Garlic Oil and Spice pop-ups produce plenty, catching from their first trip in.

 

I do remember Rod Hutchinson going on about flavours, but he did say, roughly, they will catch on their own, but will work best in a good bait in its own right. Chocolate Malt anyone? Maybe a bit of Ultraspice, or possibly his original (and Nash baits) Scopex. 

 

 

Cell works, maybe mostly hype, but it works on two fronts, possibly because there is so much 'dumped' in the lakes. You hear of the good results, not the blanks. Plain basic flavour is Coconut, on a birdfood base, but with I think a Yeast Activator.

I think Mainline base most baits around that same basic mix, and most work best after going sticky, but they release a new bait with a new flavour every few years....

I still think Grange CSL and Activ8 were the best baits they made.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

 

 

 

Cell works, maybe mostly hype, but it works on two fronts, possibly because there is so much 'dumped' in the lakes. You hear of the good results, not the blanks. Plain basic flavour is Coconut, on a birdfood base, but with I think a Yeast Activator.

I think Mainline base most baits around that same basic mix, and most work best after going sticky, but they release a new bait with a new flavour every few years....

I still think Grange CSL and Activ8 were the best baits they made.

 

 

 

 

 

I agree with 99% of your post but can't get my head around the last bit. "Hype" doesn't make a bait work, the fact that it is good and obviously attractive to the carp does. I also know of a fair few lakes where cell had never been used but caught from  the off when used and not with loads going in and these lakes aren't run of the mill waters but hard syndicate lakes fished by top anglers who are sponsored and piling in all different baits from different firms. A mate of mine who is sponsored by mainline top rodded my old syndicate lake when he switched from the Grange to the cell and he only used around 80kg of bait that year. Yes ok that is a lot of bait for Joe public but when you consider there was baiting teams doing 500kg plus of good quality well known baits as well,  he still out fished them. OK he is a very good angler and fished midweek so had the best of it but the fish have still got to eat your bait to catch and they certainly ate his. 

Now you're right about not hearing about the blanks but that is also the case of every bait firm out there. They all insist that their bait is the best, that's obvious.  

Cell is a good bait. And that's not through marketing or hype but fact I'm afraid. Just ask Mr carp 

Edited by emmcee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I agree with 99% of your post but can't get my head around the last bit. "Hype" doesn't make a bait work, the fact that it is good and obviously attractive to the carp does. I also know of a fair few lakes where cell had never been used but caught from  the off when used and not with loads going in and these lakes aren't run of the mill waters but hard syndicate lakes fished by top anglers who are sponsored and piling in all different baits from different firms. A mate of mine who is sponsored by mainline top rodded my old syndicate lake when he switched from the Grange to the cell and he only used around 80kg of bait that year. Yes ok that is a lot of bait for Joe public but when you consider there was baiting teams doing 500kg plus of good quality well known baits as well,  he still out fished them. OK he is a very good angler and fished midweek so had the best of it but the fish have still got to eat your bait to catch and they certainly ate his. 

Now you're right about not hearing about the blanks but that is also the case of every bait firm out there. They all insist that their bait is the best, that's obvious.  

Cell is a good bait. And that's not through marketing or hype but fact I'm afraid. Just ask Mr carp 

I'll ask mr carp when he's ill due to just eating cell. It's not a complete bait. And you comparison is not fully explained. Was everyone using fishmeals? So a complete different bait was a difference to them and they fed on it more comfortably? Location trumps bait by far. Was this guy just putting the bait on the fish when others weren't? 

I've heard the same story on a local. Guy turned up with tiger nuts and sweet corn. Outfished everyone else. Doesn't make them good for the carp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, greekskii said:

How do you know how much of everything was going in? A sponsored angler only using 80kg a year? Very much doubt that!! 

That story's sounds like it's come from a mainline promo article. 80kg of cell outfishes 500kg of our competitors bait.. we are the best. 

i was on one of the baiting teams that put in 500kg plus that year, thats how i know. there was a team on the B5, sticky krill, ABS, premier to name but a few and when you are on a syndicate you all talk with each other. i was on premier if you have to know and still am to this day. we knew who was putting what in and how much. not being big headed or anything but the 4 people on the bait i was on have probably caught more big fish this than the whole forum put together and from some of the most famous carp lakes we have from yateley to the colne valley etc, they know their onions when it comes to catching a carp as did most of the syndicate. even when this angler couldnt get on the fish or the lake switched off for a bit he still nicked a bite. and its no mainline promo article, its fact. like i said the bloke is an excellent angler but the carp still have to eat his bait to get a bite and he had plenty that season.

and again, i know the angler so i know exactly how much bait he used and it was no more than 80kg. sponsored doesnt instantly mean free bait, he still has to pay for it but obviously not the same as joe public. 

every time i post i do so on fact and actual fishing scenarios that have taken place, question it all you like, i know what ive witnessed. we all have our own opinions and experiences in fishing. 

and for the record i dont use and never have used cell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...