Grey prodigy gt4 £70!!!!

Personally I would never go for a mass produced rod as they are not spine built.

Used or rebuilt every time.. i.e used custom spine checked or rebuilt anything

If I bought some off the shelfs (and never will again) they would have to be rebuilt 90% of the time and that is just not worth my while

It took me YEARS to get my kit sorted, literally

People rubbish the spine, but I say non-spine built is rubbish

Edited by Lee Kashan

Basically any tube will have a plane which it ''likes to'' bend on

Building on this, the spine as it's called, will improve a rods performance no end, mainly casting accuracy thing but also the feel is better and far less twist

I don't accept non spine built rods any more

Most of the big manufacturters will rubbish the importance of it for a simple reason -  they can't be bothered  to do it

Daiwa's upper range of rods is built in the UK, on the spine. They are the only big manufacturer which bothers. You're looking at Whiskers and above. I have a pair of Whiskers as my spare rods and they are very good

Edited by nigewoodcock
Swearing again

The spine is also called the plane of least resistance when you spine find the rod there are two ways to spine build it and sometimes more than one spine, this is more the American way and is the way I build mine, on that plane, so that the rod is going back and through straight on the cast and also sweeter and twist free playing fish

The overlap or bump at the back can help the rods durability though, but just by a few percent

Builders argue which way is best, bump at the back is more old fashioned..

Many custom builders don't do it because no blank is ever straight and they think the customer will be put off by a slightly wayward looking rod. But I say spine build over dead straight every time.. None of my rods are straight and I do not give a monkeys as they are spined and that is far more important

AND GIVE ME A DIRT CHEAP ROD REBUILT ON THE SPINE OVER THE HIGHEST END £1000 NON SPINED ROD, ALL DAY LONG!

Non spine built rods can be horrible to use in my opinion. Lacking feel and like playing a fish on a plank of foam. Spine tuning makes a huge difference despite what people say trying to rubbish it and stick up for the lazy money machine flash brands who use cheap far East labour and can't be bothered 

Learn to read between the lines.

There are spineless blanks about, very high end. Whisker Kevlars were one. I picked up a pair on the never never, reconditioned them, and they are amazing

Edited by Lee Kashan