Solid Bags

Richard713

On 15/10/2022 at 22:06, salokcinnodrog said:

I thought I'd bring this up again as I'm using solid bags again myself.

I'm still using soft braid, Kryston Merlin and that looks like a VMC hook

The whole lot is going in the bag, multi-rig, hooklink and running lead.  20221014_090012.jpg.de5ea23d76feff3c14b5875f0fa9ec55.thumb.jpg.94407c3942cd63d68deed5ac722f4a1d.jpg

The hook is pushed through the PVA in one corner, the lead into the opposite corner and then the bag is filled with a mix of pellets, chopped boilies and dry Vitalin, and licked and sticked.

I do like the sound of this, using running rigs myself now 90% of the time....

May give this a whirl, just shorten my hooklength. 

The whole lot is going in the bag, multi-rig, hooklink and running lead.  20221014_090012.jpg.de5ea23d76feff3c14b5875f0fa9ec55.thumb.jpg.94407c3942cd63d68deed5ac722f4a1d.jpg

The hook is pushed through the PVA in one corner, the lead into the opposite corner and then the bag is filled with a mix of pellets, chopped boilies and dry Vitalin, and licked and sticked.

If I was to use a rapid loader, what would be the best bags to compliment them ?...

Fox or Nash? Heard the bags aren't the best, but both have fast melt versions, also Korda Solidz supposed to be decent.

On 22/02/2023 at 19:10, Highy said:

If I was to use a rapid loader, what would be the best bags to compliment them ?...

Fox or Nash? Heard the bags aren't the best, but both have fast melt versions, also Korda Solidz supposed to be decent.

I avoid Nash PVA bags after an incident years ago when a pack went through a 40⁰ wash in my combat trousers. The plastic bag they came in was full of water after the wash, the bags were still whole, when they should have been a bundle of mush. Never used them since.

I have got a Fox Rapid loader, and to be honest, it really only works with the specific bags from Fox, other brands don't seem to be the quite right size.

I've tried it with the bags from Dave at A la carp, and it's easier to open the bag, blow it totally open, then drop the rig inside.

On 22/02/2023 at 16:35, Highy said:

I do like the sound of this, using running rigs myself now 90% of the time....

May give this a whirl, just shorten my hooklength. 

In the pic earlier in the thread I'm using a Multi rig, but I do also use a short braided line aligner with a sliding rig as well, often with a (wait for it) Infusion Naturalz

Description

A critically balanced hookbait with a twist, (quite literally)

The Naturalz hookbaits have been designed to fool some of the wariest carp. Acting like a wafter by critically balancing your hook presentation, but with the addition of the spiralled texture.

The spiral shape makes it extremely difficult for a fish to deal with the hook bait when trying to eject a rig. The flow of water around a traditional circular boilie when compared to a Naturalz being ejected is much slower at changing from a laminar flow into a turbulent flow due to the shape of the Naturalz. In practice this means that a Naturalz moves in a much more aggressive manner in the carps mouth as it tries to blow the rig out. This significantly increases the chance of getting a hook hold, especially on wary fish.

Available in four flavours, the all new Infusion as well as the traditional Mulberry, Krill and Tigernut flavours

On 23/02/2023 at 09:45, elmoputney said:

Terminal tackle UK do a loader kit 

https://www.terminaltackle.uk/product-category/pva-accessories/

I guess there refill bags may also fit others might be worth checking sizes, they seemed to melt OK but I prefer to tie bags as I find I can get them tighter and neater and it's less faffy 

i tie my bags seperately with a bit of PVA tape as although i have the loaders i could never get it right no matter how hard i tried, i find that they stay on fine for the cast and pierce them first so they sink with the hooklength. find it quite relaxing making a few up whilst having a brew and it also helps add a bit of variety around my bait as fish a small water and don't use a spomb or boat but thinking of trying to make a baiting pole this year as a shed project.

but do like solid bags i must admit :)

9 hours ago, barry211 said:

i tie my bags seperately with a bit of PVA tape as although i have the loaders i could never get it right no matter how hard i tried, i find that they stay on fine for the cast and pierce them first so they sink with the hooklength. find it quite relaxing making a few up whilst having a brew and it also helps add a bit of variety around my bait as fish a small water and don't use a spomb or boat but thinking of trying to make a baiting pole this year as a shed project.

but do like solid bags i must admit :)

I like a solid bag tbh, even using my boat I will still use them, if you get them right they can be deadly, especially for quick bites, and you can really get a lot of liquid in them what's not to like 🤔 

I'm planning to do some next level stuff with pva this year, just waiting for the warmer weather now 

I'm 100% giving this ago, may try Friday, but I think the water still to cold to melt the PVA, I got a small and large loader with 50 bags each from Carpking PVA, best to wait for water to warm up ?

1 hour ago, Highy said:

I'm 100% giving this ago, may try Friday, but I think the water still to cold to melt the PVA, I got a small and large loader with 50 bags each from Carpking PVA, best to wait for water to warm up ?

The Alacarp PVA bags I use are melting fine. I know that I can't afford a miscast or I'm just reeling in a ball of sludge where I've licked and sticked.

Must confess I've not used the Gardner ones yet as I've got another 3 or 4 packs  from Dave, and I don't want to have to experiment with a different brand.

4 hours ago, Highy said:

Make a bag up pop it a bowl of cold water..add ice cubes if you want and see how long it takes to break down. I know Mainlines smart liquid will slow down the melt time. 

16 minutes ago, B B said:

Make a bag up pop it a bowl of cold water..add ice cubes if you want and see how long it takes to break down. I know Mainlines smart liquid will slow down the melt time. 

Other week when out, I made a pva mesh ball, and didn't even melt the whole time I was there, 5hrs+

17 minutes ago, B B said:

Cold tap water is probably as cold as any lake I would think, I would give it a go if they melt, i haven't had any issues recently the korda ones have been melting fine pulled a wrongun straight in and it had melted last time I was out 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Cold tap water is probably as cold as any lake I would think, I would give it a go if they melt, i haven't had any issues recently the korda ones have been melting fine pulled a wrongun straight in and it had melted last time I was out 

56 minutes ago, B B said:

What went in the pva ?

About 4/5 crushed boilies by hand, out the bag.

13 hours ago, Highy said:

Other week when out, I made a pva mesh ball, and didn't even melt the whole time I was there, 5hrs+

I'd actually check your PVA. If you've had it over 3months or more, test  it. If it has got damp and redried, or been infused with oil it will not melt immediately and sometimes not at all. Even storing in a bucket with pellets, groundbait or chopped boilies will change it.

A basic example for you, is the open pack of PVA bags I have in my Bag mix of chopped boilies, breadcrumb and ground Vitalin, each bag is not as easy to open as a new bag from inside a pack in my tackle box. They are more sticky than the box ones. The packs are resealed after I have got the bag out, but the damp (I presume) environment in the bucket changes the bags.

How many times have we heard of PVA mesh not dissolving when stored in a bucket of pellets?

Some brands are not the best at dissolving, different dissolve times.

It is these reasons why I refuse to pre-tie PVA bags, meshes and stringers.

Saving 5minutes time on a recast is not a time saving if the bag or mesh is still there 5 hours later, (sorry @Highy)

In fact to be honest, the only reason to time save, at least for me, is in a carp match. It is not going to hurt to take 10minutes to make up a PVA mesh or bag when you arrive. It won't hurt on a daily recast or just after you've caught to make it up at the time.

There are times I'm sure that I've had takes even before the PVA has melted, on stringers and mesh.

6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'd actually check your PVA. If you've had it over 3months or more, test  it. If it has got damp and redried, or been infused with oil it will not melt immediately and sometimes not at all. Even storing in a bucket with pellets, groundbait or chopped boilies will change it.

A basic example for you, is the open pack of PVA bags I have in my Bag mix of chopped boilies, breadcrumb and ground Vitalin, each bag is not as easy to open as a new bag from inside a pack in my tackle box. They are more sticky than the box ones. The packs are resealed after I have got the bag out, but the damp (I presume) environment in the bucket changes the bags.

How many times have we heard of PVA mesh not dissolving when stored in a bucket of pellets?

Some brands are not the best at dissolving, different dissolve times.

It is these reasons why I refuse to pre-tie PVA bags, meshes and stringers.

Saving 5minutes time on a recast is not a time saving if the bag or mesh is still there 5 hours later, (sorry @Highy)

In fact to be honest, the only reason to time save, at least for me, is in a carp match. It is not going to hurt to take 10minutes to make up a PVA mesh or bag when you arrive. It won't hurt on a daily recast or just after you've caught to make it up at the time.

There are times I'm sure that I've had takes even before the PVA has melted, on stringers and mesh.

Only bought Sunday....from the show.

https://www.carpking.co.uk/collections/pva/products/pva-bag-loader-kit

Try 1 out later 👍

47 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

A PVA bag, with everything in, hook, bait, rig and , then filled up with boilie crumb, breadcrumb and ground Vitalin.

I could have packed it a bit tighter, but it's only a 40metre cast, so that's plenty good enough.20230228_115132.thumb.jpg.63bb34d9c575cf91d94e225a7924547d.jpg

Mine will be mainly 2mm Manilla Pellets, Manilla Active Mix Powder, Maybe some Crumbed Boilie, squirt of Manilla Liquid....with lead n rig...

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Hopefully when I try a full bag later it will dissolve, I'll try it in cold as possible water to see reaction. 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

A PVA bag, with everything in, hook, bait, rig and , then filled up with boilie crumb, breadcrumb and ground Vitalin.

I could have packed it a bit tighter, but it's only a 40metre cast, so that's plenty good enough.20230228_115132.thumb.jpg.63bb34d9c575cf91d94e225a7924547d.jpg

Just done a quick test of the bags....

Carping PVA Bags, the Larger ones are actually quote small, I know I'm.using 8mm Pellets, but that was quick to hand, 2oz Leads put in.

I left the colder water run for a few minutes, was Freezin to me.

Screenshot_20230228_143922_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9b660cc7aa9282baf514d71da87c5420.jpg

Left bag I pierced a few times....

Screenshot_20230228_143932_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a6b554fb8be64232d567b8909731b581.jpg

Started to melt after 12 seconds, Too much air in the right bag..

Screenshot_20230228_143941_Gallery.thumb.jpg.726215a479ec9fc0acd5a1f916c431c7.jpg

Residue left from bag...

Screenshot_20230228_143950_Gallery.thumb.jpg.082f9dc51af772b65e9d44e755a90a9a.jpg

After 1 minute....

Screenshot_20230228_144002_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3fb99ebc8f49fcf172db7cd9e11694c1.jpg

so my quick conclusion is that, i need bigger bags, they also feel quite thick. They do melt very fast, but the PVA never fully melted, any suggestions on some Decent bags, i dont feel that these are the best.

I'm looking at the Korda Solidz Medium or Nash Medium Fast Melt.

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Just done a quick test of the bags....

Carping PVA Bags, the Larger ones are actually quote small, I know I'm.using 8mm Pellets, but that was quick to hand, 2oz Leads put in.

I left the colder water run for a few minutes, was Freezin to me.

Screenshot_20230228_143922_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9b660cc7aa9282baf514d71da87c5420.jpg

Left bag I pierced a few times....

Screenshot_20230228_143932_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a6b554fb8be64232d567b8909731b581.jpg

Started to melt after 12 seconds, Too much air in the right bag..

Screenshot_20230228_143941_Gallery.thumb.jpg.726215a479ec9fc0acd5a1f916c431c7.jpg

Residue left from bag...

Screenshot_20230228_143950_Gallery.thumb.jpg.082f9dc51af772b65e9d44e755a90a9a.jpg

After 1 minute....

Screenshot_20230228_144002_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3fb99ebc8f49fcf172db7cd9e11694c1.jpg

so my quick conclusion is that, i need bigger bags, they also feel quite thick. They do melt very fast, but the PVA never fully melted, any suggestions on some Decent bags, i dont feel that these are the best.

I'm looking at the Korda Solidz Medium or Nash Medium Fast Melt.

I use the Korda , Nash and Fox il do a test and time them …is the closest I come to going fishing lately  😏