Changing reel handle

Can anyone help me please, I'm trying to change the handle from the left side to the right on my Shimano biomaster xta reels, but I can't get it to work. For some reason the hole on the right side is smaller than the left, I've added some pictures below. Even if you take the plastic washer out that's sitting in the hole, it's still too small. Is it possible to take the reel apart and turn it around? Why can't anything be straight forward lol 

20170804_193328.jpg

20170804_193317.jpg

12 hours ago, jh92 said:

I can't edit the post for some reason but I've just read its not possible to swap anything around inside because the handle fits straight into the drive gear? Gutted :(

Nightmare.... the only thing i can think of doing if the handle section is long enough to pick up the drive gear from the other side would be to machine out the smaller diameter hole ? 

On 05/08/2017 at 04:01, pooter said:

It does seem odd that there is a facility to change handle sides but it's not practicable. I wonder if it's a defect from manufacture, you should contact Shimano and ask them what the story is.

On 05/08/2017 at 08:43, chillfactor said:

Nightmare.... the only thing i can think of doing if the handle section is long enough to pick up the drive gear from the other side would be to machine out the smaller diameter hole ? 

I'm gonna take them to the tackleshop and see if they can help, I don't really trust myself trying to change things lol

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this, I've managed to get the handles on the other side. What I done was popped the plastic washer out, lined the handle up with the hole and wiggled it side to side with a lot of force. This made the opening bigger and it went through, I tightened it up and it all seems sound, nothing is catching or loose, so should be fine. Probably not the best/correct way to do it, but it worked lol 

56 minutes ago, smufter said:

I'm right handed and always have my reel handles on the left hand side.

My brother in law is also right handed but prefers the handles on the right hand side!!

Is he weird, or am I?????

:(

I don't know mate, I'm left handed but when I was younger I would use the handle on the left but would have fish landed for me, but as I got older and started fishing on my own I found it easier playing and landing with with the handles on the right lol. 

1 hour ago, smufter said:

I'm right handed and always have my reel handles on the left hand side.

My brother in law is also right handed but prefers the handles on the right hand side!!

Is he weird, or am I?????

:(

Sounds like your brother in law is fishing left handed.

Now I'm left handed and I fish with handles on left, which is right handed style.

So it's not just me that's weird.:lol:

Edited by finchey
Missing word.

4 hours ago, finchey said:

Sounds like your brother in law is fishing left handed.

Now I'm left handed and I fish with handles on left, which is right handed style.

So it's not just me that's weird.:lol:

Do you cast with the reel seat in your left or right hand? I found when I was using the handles on the left, I would still have to cast with the reel seat in my left hand lol

59 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Do you cast with the reel seat in your left or right hand? I found when I was using the handles on the left, I would still have to cast with the reel seat in my left hand lol

I cast with reel seat in my right hand.

I am a full lefty.

Funny thing is a play the odd game of pitch and putt or crazy golf with the kids and I play that right handed as well.

How weird am I.:lol:

Edited by finchey
Spelling mistake

On 28 August 2017 at 06:51, jh92 said:

Thought I'd update this, I've managed to get the handles on the other side. What I done was popped the plastic washer out, lined the handle up with the hole and wiggled it side to side with a lot of force. This made the opening bigger and it went through, I tightened it up and it all seems sound, nothing is catching or loose, so should be fine. Probably not the best/correct way to do it, but it worked lol 

I think that is the correct way to do it.

I'm right handed, and have always used fixed spools with the handles on the left. For multipliers I have the handle on the right, and on top of the rod for sea, spinning or pike fishing