Coated or Uncoated Hooklength ?

crusian

On 25/07/2017 at 16:37, yonny said:

Unless we can see it, we don't! Same with any hooklink or rig I guess bud!

My trials have been very good. You need to make sure it's straightened well (you can do it without steaming - just pull it really hard). A couple of blobs of putty might help but I don't bother with this stuff.

I've been steaming the tubing around my hooks for years but never thought about steaming the hooklink while its pulled tight..if its been steamed, will it reduce tangles when casting? I've noticed I've had the odd tangle when giving it a big chuck with a heli setup, another vote for esp tungsten though, been using it in 20lb soft, lovely stuff. But like you say it isn't the cheapest so I don't like wasting much of it lol 

44 minutes ago, jh92 said:

if its been steamed, will it reduce tangles when casting?

Certainly mate.

45 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I've had the odd tangle when giving it a big chuck with a heli setup

You know what, I've been using heli's for years due to their anti tangle nature but at the mo a rule on the water I'm on means I've had to go to lead clips. I swear I'm getting less tangles, real eye opener!!

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Certainly mate.

You know what, I've been using heli's for years due to their anti tangle nature but at the mo a rule on the water I'm on means I've had to go to lead clips. I swear I'm getting less tangles, real eye opener!!

Cheers mate I'll steam the whole rig this time, do you do it on every cast or will just the once be ok? 

I usually use an inline or heli setup for most of my fishing, I'm too tight to use leadclips because of how many leads I loose lol 

11 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I'll steam the whole rig this time, do you do it on every cast or will just the once be ok? 

With the Tungsten Loaded I don't bother, I just pull it straight, amazing stuff.

With inferior links I'll always do it at the start of a session and will do it again if it's no longer straight for a recast.

On 25 July 2017 at 17:07, hutch said:

Does it need to be kicked out dead straight to be effective still ? ... would depend largely on the rig of course.

Took me a while to notice this, I think braided rigs especially, DON'T have them kicked out dead straight, allow them to fall over as they go.