Coated or Uncoated Hooklength ?

crusian

Hello Everyone 

I see that Kryston have brought out a new versions of their Super Nova and No Tangle .

So  I use the No Tangle to stiffen up my Hook Length of Super Nova so it doesn't tangle during the cast and while it settles on the lakebed ; then the gel dissolves so that the Super Nova returns to it's limp and " non anchoring " state ? .

But now if silver fish and / or small Carp start picking at my bait , sucking it in and blowing it out again my Super Nova Hook Length could tangle , couldn't it ? .

So if I want a no tangle and resetting presentation I would be advised to use a coated Hook Length combined with a Pop Up ? .

Thanks .

I honestly can't remember the last time I cast out a braided, either coated or uncoated hooklink that wasn't Kryston. It must have been some time around the 1990's!

Silkworm, Merlin, SuperNova, 3 absolutely brilliant hooklink materials, although I did stop using Silkworm as I found it was buoyant and lifted off the lakebed. Saying that, almost every hooklink loops up unless weighted down.

I tried using No Tangle, using it to stiffen or even create a concertina extending hooklink, and to be honest, as good as it was or is, I decided against the faffing.

To reduce tangles I simply resort to PVA stringers, bags or mesh, even with braided hooklinks. 

I've given a couple of clues here, the weighted down hooklink and the PVA.

I didn't find that the hooklink tangled, even if it was moved a fair distance. The hook itself sits on the lakebed with a bait about 15mm away from the hook on a hair. It actually takes the bait being picked up or rolled a long distance to move the hook, and with a line aligned hook, it takes the hook and bait being rolled over 180 degrees.

If the bait is actually picked up, then it should be a fish large enough to get hooked. 

I found that there is a definite limit to plain uncoated braided hooklinks, and that is crayfish. Those little gits will tangle it, they also manage to take chunks out of coated braid coatings. With crayfish, and me using combi-rig hooklinks, I still use Amnesia in clear 20 or 30lb as my upper section.

15 hours ago, crusian said:

I see that Kryston have brought out a new versions of their Super Nova and No Tangle .

From what I heard I think that means they (TAG - who recently bought Kryston out) found a cheaper alternative to sell at the same price lol.... I expect to see 'upgraded' versions of most of their products in the near future.

15 hours ago, crusian said:

So if I want a no tangle and resetting presentation I would be advised to use a coated Hook Length combined with a Pop Up ? .

IMO - yes, a coated braid will help reduce tangles with any bait, not just a pop up (although for resetting a pop up is defo best).

14 hours ago, phil dalts said:

That korda boom stuff could be worth a look, doesnt need steaming, coupled with a soft braided section possible combi rig could be a way forward. Just an idea

That is quite an extreme measure; Boom is just about the stiffest link available, only suitable for clean bottom IMO. I think a coated braid would be a better option, more forgiving on most substrates.

ESP Tungsten Loaded is the best coated braid I've found, it's not cheap but it's a step above the others on the market IMO.

47 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Love the esp tungsten as you know. But how do we really know it resets and doesn't sit weird??

Unless we can see it, we don't! Same with any hooklink or rig I guess bud!

44 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Just thinking because I've just dropped a rig In the margin and it sticks up. Braid goes all loopy. That's no different to a fish picking u up, swimming towards lead and dropping it

My trials have been very good. You need to make sure it's straightened well (you can do it without steaming - just pull it really hard). A couple of blobs of putty might help but I don't bother with this stuff.

On 25 July 2017 at 21:01, phil dalts said:

Have you witnessed this 1st hand chill?

The looping, or lifting up is something I have seen, you need the middle of the hooklink pinned down, as well as just down from the ends, basically because of the looping up and buoyancy in the braid, and as said some are worse than others, Silkworm especially I found. Pretty much the main reason I switched from Silkworm to Merlin as I found it not so buoyant.

Making sure the hooklink was wet also stopped some of the looping up.

It doesn't always matter though as I'm sure I caught fish before discovering this looping up.

• 1 month later...

SOFT coated for me, all the way

Used pure braid for years but just got sick of tangles, too many roach hurling the bait about on my waters left a pure braid rig in a sorry mess

Most coated braids are too stiff though. It must be just the right balance between soft enough to react, and stiff enough to not tangle

Tungsten Loaded is the best one in my opinion. I never strip any of it away.

41 minutes ago, Big Common said:

The tungsten loaded has quite a following, I like it in 20,  Found it has a softer coating than a lot of others.... It's become one of those bits in the tackle box that I don't like running low on.

Precisely mate

That stuff is proper

I haven't tried the semi stiff at all, no need as I like the soft