Zig float?

10 minutes ago, yonny said:

I used to use an old pike float for this before there was such a thing as zig floats.

Did you add a ring to your lead so the line can pass through it easier mate? I tried a pike float last weekend but the float was too buoyant for the 2.5 oz lead so I went back to fishing the bottom lol. Hopefully if I can get away from work early today I'll go to the tackle shop and see what floats they've got :)

54 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Did you add a ring to your lead so the line can pass through it easier mate?

I was using these horrible snap link type things with a plastic ring attached (not sure what they're called, for sea fishing I think). Didn't look great but worked really well.

I have made my own. I've made my own marker floats for a while now and thought a zig float can't be any more difficult to make. 

I used a length of balsa (about 15mm diameter) cut to 3 inches. Sanded smooth and shaped at the edges to be rounded off. 

Next I made a hole through it using a very long nail. Make sure it is straight(ish)

I then hammered in a inline lead insert and trimmed so it fit flush (measured against this before cutting the balsa so was almost bang on)

gave them two/three coats of grey primer. It soaks it in so you need a second coat at least. 

Finished them off with a spray varnish from the model shop to seal the wood. (I did this after using them without and found they take on water like a sponge and sink pretty quickly. You live and learn) 

I've tested them now and they float for days in water so I'm good to use them. Just haven't got round to it since.