Spod help. Shock leader or not?

2487jamesm

Hello everyone. Just bought myself a Spod rod and reel. Not used this method before. After some advice. I have also bought 50lb braid to spool my reel up with. I opted for 50lb as I have a fishspy and do not want to chance loosing it.

Reading up on spoding some people use a shock leader and some dont. Just wounderig what your oppinions are on this? Would you recomend I use a shock leader with 50lb braid?

Cheers guys

Jay

I use 40lb braid straight through to a clip and attach the spomb that way. Will chuck out a large spomb full of particle no problem. But I don't fish at range, 70 yards max. Due to the size of the waters. Never had a crack off apart from when the swivel on the spomb exploded on me. 

I know others use braid on a Spod rod, but I will not for a number of reasons:

Firstly I have had braid cut through the rings on a Spod rod, the tip and butt guides, within 6months of purchase!

Secondly I like my fingers, I have seen braid cut through to the bone on a miscast, and I have had a couple of scrapes where braid has 'wrist wrapped', where a finger stall does not cover.

Thirdly braid has minimal stretch, so hitting the clip on a hard cast could see your spod braid snapping as it suddenly pulls up tight.

The mono I use is the same as my normal mainline, with a 50 or 60lb Shockleader. Bear in mind I can cast a full big Spomb on my Spod rod. Half to three quarters full I can get over 100metres!

8 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Slightly off topic, but I do see a lot of lads packing away in a hurry and then getting their rods out quickly on their return, still clipped up from the previous session. I wonder how many times they do this before checking for weak spots and re doing their rods...... Crack offs with baited rigs..... not good.

I'm guilty of this at times. Never had a crack off though. But I use 15lb mainline and normally 5/6ft of leadfree leader. Now using 6ft of fluoro leader due to rules. I did check after every fish though and will do due to the lily pads. Not worth the risk of a crack off or snap up 

Cheers for the input everyone. I have bought some braid from ebay. Its called Super power Spider. Its 0.37mm diameter.

I will be using the rod and reel for spoding, not to massive distances. But I will also be using it for my new fishspy which was bought for me last week. As you will know these are not cheap so I dont want to chance loosing it. Hence the 50lb braid. 

Cheers Guys

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, Martin Chatterley said:

Hi I’m new to carp fishing so was just wanting to no can I just tie my spod directly to the main line which Is 30lb braid or is there any other end tackle I need I’ve been told I don’t need a shock leader as I’m only spodding about 30-50 yards depending on where i fish thanks in advance guys 

You should be OK mate if you're careful i.e. don't go for huge distances or hit the clip too hard.

20 minutes ago, yonny said:

So you have a little tag to pull the loop open?

I've never thought of that. It does my head in fiddling to get that loop open lol.

You, my man, are a genius!

There is a video or something somewhere, I think it was a Tom maker one, aaagh found it can't believe you didn't know that one 😏 I think it may have been framey that showed me it before 👍

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/carp-hack-the-two-loop-trick

Just wondering the 30lb braid you are using is it the stuff that comes free on reels? I got some on my sonik vader spod reel and it wasn't very good, had weak spots and snapped, and it isn't a bright colour 😁

I use spider braid or the spectra braid now seems much better and yellow and doesn't cost the earth (50lb straight through) , I think that helps when spodding might need a thinner breaking strain if you want to chuck it far though, but for most general fishing it would be fine 👍