Catch Reports June '17

yonny

Well at long last I can contribute something worthwhile to one of these catch reports. As usual I'll make a meal of it and give you an essay lol......

The water I've been fishing this last year holds some wicked fish and I've been lucky enough to land 2 of the three mirrors I really wanted, but ultimately the reason I joined was the commons this lake holds. There are several old original Nene Valley commons swimming about (some of the best commons in the country IMO). Three of them are real biggies, each of them beautiful in their own way, topped by a very, very long, dark chestnut whacker that's easily recognisable by some old damage to its tail that makes the top of its upper lobe appear almost perfectly flat. A better common you cannot imagine believe me, but unfortunately it's also probably the least frequently caught, quite a rare fish it is. Not a problem; I'd be over the moon with any of these incredible old commons.

So I showed up early Friday afternoon having blagged my way out of work early. It was warm and sunny so I hoped there'd be the odd fish milling about on top giving away their location but a couple of hours walking and looking didn't give me any clues. I kind of knew roughly where I wanted to be as the lake had done a couple of fish recently and I knew where from. I had a choice of two good swims to jump in and changed mind regards which to choose several times over as I went to retrieve my gear from the car. I eventually chose the most central of the 2 knowing full well it'd give me a decent view of the lake later on when they'd likely give their location away. The conditions looked good, bright and sunny with a decent ripple and the odd brief shower that came with a slight drop in pressure.

It took me a while to set up, 3 spots found, rigs positioned, baiting with the spod. I was particularly pleased with my rods and it was now a question of waiting and watching for the signs that would hopefully come. The day flew by as it always does when you're enjoying a session and before I knew it the clock struck around 8 o'clock. I was sitting on the edge of the bank and starting to get a little worried I'd not seen owt when in the distance a couple of hundred yards away I saw what I'd been looking for. A carp popped it's head up out of a weed bed, then a few minutes later another did the same. Now I wasn't about to move for just two sightings but the area was noted for future reference. I got an early night and set the alarm for 4 am which IMO is the time you really figure out what the score is.

Alarm goes off, out of the pit, kettle on, Fag rolled, sitting watching. There's still the odd shower, clouds rolling over, yet still warm, it looks PERFECT which is worrying as I've still not seen owt in front of me. I keep a close eye on the weed bed down the way and around 04:30 I see one smash out. Then another, then another. I make my mind up to sit it out until after bite time and make a move. By 10:00 I'm packed up and bringing the rods in, I load the barrow and wander down to the swim that looks to be holding some fish. I dump the gear in the swim and go for a wander to see my mate way over the other side of the lake. He's had a stonking common of 29 lb, spawned out yet looking healthy, black as anything, a proper looker, and I want to congratulate him. The sun is well up now, it's proper hot, so I'm in no particular rush to get back fishing too soon. I drink tea with my mate before we go on a wander. We spend the early afternoon watching a couple of stockies ghost in and out of a margin spot taking snails off the floating weed, beautiful sights. We see, and I swear to God this is true, a MOLE SWIMMING! I had to google this to confirm we weren't imagining it. Yes, turns out moles can swim. Who knew?

By 14:30 I'm back in my swim and getting my fishing head on. I have a couple of casts with a tiny lead, the weed out here is nothing short of savage, It's completely solid, but I do find one spot out in front at 36 yards and one spot to my right that I found last year, maybe 30 yards out. Both spots feel a bit special, I can get a drop with a 2 oz lead so it's clearly presentable and they're both surrounded by forests of weed. Pukka. I suspect the fish are held up in these weed beds so there's no way I'm spodding, it'd be the kiss of death. I chuck my little white pop ups on the spots and put a couple of pouch-fulls of baits round each one, maybe 30 baits per rod. Easy, quiet, effective. I sit back and hope as the day goes on I'll spot them showing.

Well, I didn't have to wait long, because by maybe 17:00 I've seen them, even in the afternoon heat a couple have popped their heads out and I tell you what; they look bang up for it. Then the magic starts; I'm looking at the right hand spot, I can see the weed that's up to just under the surface rocking as a fish or two are clearly moving in and out of it. Then, silently, a massive, dark, stunningly beautiful common comes right out up to its anal fin before sinking back down. WOW! It then does it again to confirm I'm not imagining it. I'm speechless and a little nervous, not only is there a big common on the dance floor, it's clearly one of the big three..... and it's just feet away from my hook bait.

I continue watching subtle signs as the weed is moved by whatever is down there. They've started showing near my other spot too and all of a sudden this is looking bang on for bite. I've now done 5 nights this spring and this is the first time I've really been on them and as you can imagine I'm pretty excited. The bailiff shows up, he's moving in next door, we share a beer and we stand watching the signs of carp for a while, he agrees it's looking good in here. We finish our beers and he goes to get set up telling me to grab him if needed for any photos. Likewise I say to him.

I sit back, it's now 18:00, the sun is still well up, it's boiling hot in fact and it's no surprise I aint had a bite off the deck I think to myself. I make the decision to put a zig out for a few hours next to the weed bed on the right (the big common spot) in the hope that the massive common takes it on the way in or out of the weed. The rods are 5 paces away. I take one step and look up over to the area, see nothing. Two, three steps and I'm looking at the rod. Fourth step and I'm reaching out bring the rod in to put the zig on. I take my fifth step, my hand is literally a foot away from the rod when......

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..............

It absolutely rips off!!!!!!

I lift into it and it's like lifting into a brick wall! I cannot believe it, if I had got up 10 second, 5 second.... even 2 seconds earlier I'd have pulled the hook bait from under it's nose!! 'CONCENTRATE' I think to myself. Immediately I know it's a biggun, no head shaking, no rapid movement, it's just slow and heavy. It slowly kites to the left away from the weed bed which I'm amazed at then it seems to realise that it's making it too easy. It heads for the weed bed, directly to the weed bed, it does not pass GO, it does not collect £200. It gets right in there and before I know it the rod is completely solid.

'Right then' I think, in all fairness this is exactly what I expected. I'm fishing with 18 lb line that's tough as old boots, I'm as confident as I could possibly be with the tackle. I apply side strain for the next 5 minutes and can still feel the odd kick but there's no way it's coming out like that. There's an old log next to the swim, I climb on top of it and get a better angle from above, and I can feel the fish coming up in the water, perfect, long fronds of weed clinging to the line, I reckon I'm gonna see what I've hooked here.... but just like that the fish clocks what's going on and shows me what it's capable of.....

It hammers out of the weed to the left, it flat rods me, kites across the swim, taking line off the spool like the reel aint even there, 40 yards it runs, through both other rods completely wiping them out and into another weed bed.

'OK'......

So I'm back to square one here so I continue as planned. Heavy side strain which has no influence on anything but again, I feel the odd kick. I apply the same method as I did before, I'm over the other side of the swim now and I'm on tip toes holding the rod as high as a I can. Again, I can feel it coming up in the water, brilliant, and once more the fish clocks what's going on. It kites out of the weed, more slowly this time and as it passes in front of me maybe 20 yards out its back breaks the surface. I would get banned from this forum if I told you the words that went through my mind at this point. It's big, it's long, it's covered in scales..... it's the massive common.... and I begin to shake. As it sinks back down the tip of its tail breaks the surface and I swear I think I see that it's flat. Jeez.

Now I don't know about you guys but I honestly prefer not to know what I'm playing, especially if it's a good'n. It just makes me panic and I struggle to concentrate. I'm now thinking of the three clear PB commons I've lost at the net in my life time and wondering if it could happen again. 'CONCENTRATE'! The fish heads back down into deeper water and over into the original weed bed. I am overjoyed to say the lines from both other rods have pinged off so I'm in direct contact with no obstructions, very lucky I think to myself. I don't fancy letting it get right in there again so I tighten the clutch and give it some stick, knowing that I must have a good hook hold, but at the same time considering the pain I'd feel if I lost it. To be honest I'm really not enjoying it, I know it's a PB common, I'm shaking, there's weed all over my line, it's just too hairy for my liking. But, it starts to tire and it's coming closer, it's out of the weed bed now and it's within 10 yards of me.

It still makes couple of spirited runs even off the tight clutch, it powers down into the depths, but can't stay down there for long and for the first time i think I might actually land this thing. It's on the top again, kites to the right and to the left but much slower now, it looks amazing, dark, as long a fish as I've ever seen. It gulps air and I know it's almost over, my legs have completely gone, I'm shaking like a leaf. And then just like that it rolls over the cord of the net. I'm speechless, there's no victory shout, no scream of joy. I kneel down and reach down through the weed that's everywhere now and feel for the tail, find it, and gently lift it above the surface.....

It is flat. My God...... it's the biggun. My jaw hits the floor.

I unhook her in the net. She's very well hooked, I was never losing her, all the worry was for nothing. I secure the net and let her recover and try to roll a Fag, it's very difficult as I'm still shaking. I smoke it then have another look at her. She has been as big as mid forty's but I can tell she's not that big. She's clearly spawned but she's still looking in fantastic nick. In fact I actually thinks she looks better down in weight, proper carp shaped, doesn't look empty in any way. I guess around 40 lb.

I pop round to get the bailiff. It was less than an hour ago he was sitting having a beer in my swim. 'You got one' he asks? Yup? 'A good'n'?? Yup! I tell him which fish it is and his jaw joins mine on the floor. Like me, he momentarily loses the power of speech before coming to his senses and saying he'll be round in a minute. I go back to the swim. I have another look. It's the nicest looking common I've ever caught by miles and it's my biggest common too. It's a dream fish, a true blue, original Nene Valley, rarely caught, stonker of a common, blacks and browns and chestnuts and golds..... just absolutely stunning.

I'm joined by the bailiff and he's blown away too, he agree it looks 40 and I still think that when I lift her out so it surprises us both when it goes 38.12 on the scales. Am I complaining? I'll give you one guess. The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I peel away the mesh, it's an incredible fish. We do some photos, into the pond for some water shots, and I hold her until she's strong enough to power off out of my arms.

Part time! I chuck the rods back out, get pretty poor drops, don't care, get the Churchill Cuban cigar that's been waiting in my kit for this moment out, and sit back with a beer. There's still carp in the area and in all honesty I should have had another but I'm just happy to be watching them under the affects of that big fish spell. The rest of the session flies by and before long it's time for home. The pics have turned out amazing, some of my fave photos ever, and I'm still checking them every few hours now. Mind = blown.

This is why we do it fellas. Happy days!

What a story , what a capture Yonny  .

However , it's not a true " Yonny " catch though is it ? - where's the 6ft. of snow / the torrential rain in your face ,/the trees crashing down on your Bivvy ? ; it was all a bit too easy wasn't it ? :D .

I agree with Gagna , can't you draw the beautiful Common like they do for court cases ? .

Anyway , many  congratulations .

:)

13 hours ago, crusian said:

where's the 6ft. of snow / the torrential rain in your face ,/the trees crashing down on your Bivvy ? ; it was all a bit too easy wasn't it ?

Lol..... reading it back it does all seem a bit too easy doesn't it; bright sunny days and going for pleasant wanders......

#musttryharder

Had a slow start to June. 3 weddings over the last 4 weeks have seen to that!!! Yesterday's wedding was a little closer to home so the wife drove meaning I was able to get down the lake for a few hours this afternoon to scratch the itch. Had 40mph gusts, a warm SW wind, dropping pressure and overcast skys - perfect!!!!

Dropped in on an empty lake so headed straight into the end of the lake that was in the teeth of the wonderful wind. I managed to nick three fish. 

19.5lb.jpg

21lb.jpg

25lb.jpg

17 minutes ago, ianain said:

Nice one muft, but you have me confused (which doesn't take much I know) with over-depth zigs :confused:

I can only think that for example the water is 1.5 metres deep and you set the length at 1.7m ?

Exactly that mate.

Basically it was quite windy so I acnhored the surface bait into a fixed position then baited up away from my bait to allow my freebies to drift over to my bait.

Managed t squeeze in an overnight trip last night. Late start last night just before dark and off this morning. 5am this morning I was sat watching the water when I had a tench. Rod back out with a few more pult fulls of boilie and 10 minutes later I had the first carp. 6 tench later, I had the second one just as I was packing up.

16lb.thumb.jpg.91788eb1229b682a2ff6fed2bfcc11c9.jpg

22lb_3.thumb.jpg.f13d9115a530d184f044982d3d729955.jpg

SO as has been mentioned on here on the 18th June, I did 32hrs on estate lake to kick off my season on there. First official session as a member and I managed to bag 13 carp to 26.02lb. Overall I had 4x 20lbs, 3x 19lbs and the rest high doubles with the smallest being 10lb (guesstimate). Unfortunately my camera battery died but I managed a couple of pics on it and had some visitors do some pics on my phone. Selection of this fish below. There was one very nice fish I had which didn't get photographed so I hope I catch it again and get some pics.

15lb 18-06-17.JPG

15lb 19-06-17.JPG

23lb 19-06-17 (2).jpg

23lb 19-06-17.jpg

26.02lb 18-06-17.JPG

23 minutes ago, yonny said:

Love the one with apple slice scales down it's back Vik. Pukka looking carp.

The one I didn't get a picture of was the best looking of the bunch. Proper big scales, almost framed its body, a cluster of tiny scales near its tail and a rough skin. Was a peach. I'll try catch it tonight and get some pics! En route to the lake in a minute.