Pva stick with helicopter rigs??

Uroy

If, how or where would you attach a pva stick to a helicopter rig ? The lake im fishing is covered in a bed of silt and testing had shown a light lead will sink into the silt approx 6-8 inches . I'm planning on using a multi rig with a pop up set 6-8 inches above the lead helicopter style but worry if I thread the pva stick through the multi rig it will either tangle or sink into the silt. And if I attach it to the lead then surely it will sink into the silt? 

Any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Edited by Uroy

51 minutes ago, Big Common said:

TBH though, anything like this attached to a pop up rig, might hamper the presentation. I would probably just use a couple of nuggets, so it can drop down nice and gently.

The others might be able to give you some better/alternative advice.

I've played & played with fishing sticks with pop up rigs as I'm a big fan of stick fishing.  Just when I thought I had it cracked how to set it up to make sure it sat perfectly every time... it wouldn't ! 

wafters would be the way I would go if you wanted something other than a bottom bait with a stick. 

I'd go with a stringer, you rarely see anyone casting them out. 

With the multi rig I'd want to check that attaching it doesn't close the loop on the hook when cast out. If it does a hook bead may help keep it in place, or a slither of foam in it. 

To stop it plugging in the silt, I'd foam the hook and as big common has said maybe add a few to the stringer as well. 

16 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I've played & played with fishing sticks with pop up rigs as I'm a big fan of stick fishing.  Just when I thought I had it cracked how to set it up to make sure it sat perfectly every time... it wouldn't ! 

wafters would be the way I would go if you wanted something other than a bottom bait with a stick. 

Get a spare mesh tube, but make a slit down the side so you can thread your hooklink down it, cut off the PVA you need and put it onto spare tube, then first in either a couple of floating dog biscuits or foam nuggets, your hook and bait, couple more nuggets, then your free offerings. Do NOT push down hard with plunger, but gently just to compress. Slide PVA off tube and cut down PVA to create two tags ends to overhand knot around hooklink.

Extra work, but if it works it's worthwhile.

The alternative is PVA bag filled and with lead inside, then hook into bottom of bag.

Have you tried putting a foam nugget inside a small mesh pva bag along with your mix of choice?

As Nick suggests, don't compress the bag too much as you want the air in the bag, but for extra buoyancy and a secure hook hold, try putting a pva nugget inside the bag to one side, then push the hook point through that.

20170422_170538_zpsnazh5udw.jpg

been thinkin about this tonight , has anyone tried putting the pop up into the stick then filling it up and tying it off before mounting it on the hair /bait screw,  you could add a couple of nuggets either in the stick or on the hook to keep it buoyant , then pva tying it to the hook link next to the putty  , that way it should lay flat on the silt with your bait popped up above once everything has melted 

dave 

8 hours ago, cloud9 said:

been thinkin about this tonight , has anyone tried putting the pop up into the stick then filling it up and tying it off before mounting it on the hair /bait screw,  you could add a couple of nuggets either in the stick or on the hook to keep it buoyant , then pva tying it to the hook link next to the putty  , that way it should lay flat on the silt with your bait popped up above once everything has melted 

dave 

That's the whole point of the slit down the side of the spare PVA tube. :wink:

Maybe I didn't explain it properly, but read it again, should make sense

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That's the whole point of the slit down the side of the spare PVA tube. :wink:

Maybe I didn't explain it properly, but read it again, should make sense

Im wondering how your going to tie the end of the mesh up with the hook length inside ?

dave  

21 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

. Slide PVA off tube and cut down PVA to create two tags ends to overhand knot around hooklink.

3 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Im wondering how your going to tie the end of the mesh up with the hook length inside ?

dave  

Explained above:wink::lol:

18 hours ago, cloud9 said:

dave 

No but abit off subject ... have you ever used a pop up as a marker/peace of mind that the bag has melted ... sometimes when im fishing within catupult range or when the water is abit low temp i will stick a bright pop up in the bag.

When it pops up on the surface i no the bag has done its job ... thats the thing with a catty it has no line clip ... yes you can tell what line your bait has landed using a far bank marker like a tree etc etc but how far out you cast can sometimes be a pain if you take your eyes off the water for a minit or two sorting out stuff and then you go to put some freebies in then thinking im sure it was another 10 yards haha even more so when you have alot of water in front of you ... now i cast ... let the line settle ... then grab my catapult and wait as soon as that pop up hits the surface i fire away.