Fluorocarbon leader advice please?

boliecrazy69

If its any use to you I use about 4 feet, and generally most of the materials on the market straighten (the good ones anyway) by just running your fingers a couple of times down the length of leader, also remember to clean the leader ever so often as they pick up muck which makes then more visible than something like tubing.  

If you can fish without a leader you will be fishing more safely, especially if there is any weed or snags present :wink:

I honestly think that in most cases the line at any range above 30 or 40metres is running along the lakebed anyway.

Also with fluorocarbon it requires regular cleaning, and after a fish or two may require changing.

Lengthwise, as short as you can get away with, so if you think two feet is long enough to hide the line then drop to that. If you are using it as a shock leader then go as long as 12feet, or your casting drop (the lead in line with rod spigot) and 4or5 turns on the reel.

I much prefer tubing over leader, until this year I have stayed away from leaders for probably 9 years I reckon, fishing mono straight through either naked or with around 30-40cms of tubing and a run ring for the lead.

Had some good results using 4-5 ft of tiger line for my chod fishing a season or so back on some tricky waters.

And you certainly didn't have to replace it after a couple of fish . It was out lasting the mono behind it .

If I use chods again at some point it will be with a length of tiger line with out doubt.

Had some good results using 4-5 ft of tiger line for my chod fishing a season or so back on some tricky waters.

And you certainly didn't have to replace it after a couple of fish . It was out lasting the mono behind it .

If I use chods again at some point it will be with a length of tiger line with out doubt.

Tiger Line seems to be the exception with fluorocarbon!

I had the same 20lb X-line on my reels for 4 years!! I occasionally had to cut a few yards off that looked a bit rough and frayed , and that's the only reason I respooled ( with Venture ) as it was getting low on the spool. The venture has been on nearly 3 years and still as strong as the day it went on, the fact UV doesn't effect it makes it fluorocarbon a bargain. Total poo for distance though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

Yonny.

Are they fairly limp, the leaders you suggest?  I ask as if not I can easy make some out of some normal 30lb.  I'm interested in how you rated the 50lb, did it do the job of concealment. well?

I know you read the other leader thread:wink:, and since then on my clear water I have been using leaders again.

The leaders I have been using are the clear TFG Lok down leaders, available strangely from TFG, they are quite supple, and are looped at mainline end, with swivel  at hooklink end. You have to put on lead attachment, lead clip or run ring, or they do a heli leader as well with quick link clip on end, and heli swivel.

Should have said first, welcome to the forum

:D

Try again:

Last year I ordered one each of several leaders. I needed some to suit rules on a French water so checked out a load including the Carp R Us, Korda Safezone, TFG Lok Down, and another (I can't remember which one now). The Carp R US 'won', followed by the TFG. I didn't think the TFG looked quite as good as the true fluoro leaders on the deck but they were pretty good all the same.

It is downright invisible, even in clear water. But im not looking from underneath/alongside it am I! Knot strength is great, beds down very well too. Not used it much, still have my fox submerge leaders at the moment but new ticket later this year has a leadcore ban (assuming it means leadfree leaders too) so will get more use soon.