Anyone used these

Nutcracker

afdfe1661d6466f427c1554e809827d7.jpg

I like the look of these they dnt allow the tail rubber to be pushed on all the way and the whole lot slides off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Prologic do something similar, they call it the distance clip. Thinking behind metal arm is it doesnt snap when you give it a big heave ho on the cast, i broke a standard clip one the other week

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

I haven't, not sure I like the way they show it with the tail rubber rammed right up. The novice angler will just use it as shown. If I was wanting to cast further, I would be using a heli set up, rather than a lead clip. Just my own preference.

I still think its an improvement thoe and a step in the right direction ... the tail rubber may be pushed right upto it ... but without that i still see novices pushing it right the way upto the butt ... atleast with that its not pushed fully on ... but yea its still on too far for my liking.

Yeah but are they safe? Im not happy with the swivel being rammed down by the lead causing a possible break. Especially after a long awaited bite! A chod is a heli rig, one and only time i used one i had a bite, picked it up, line parted by link for lead. Yes i was using buffer this, safety that BUT still broke, and yes my knot was strong

For absolute distance casting the helicopter set-up is probably best. Fairly tangle free, and the lead tows everything tidily behind it. I am another one who does not like to lose the lead, as said with a helicopter, the lead helps the rig slide free in the event of a break off. If you do want a pendant lead, then I actually prefer a run ring, far better than a lead clip in my personal view. It can be fished semi-fixed with a tight line, and with the run ring able to slide off in the event of a break, there is no weight holding the hook in place.

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Typo

On 2/3/2017 at 09:45, DEANO30 said:

afdfe1661d6466f427c1554e809827d7.jpg

I like the look of these they dnt allow the tail rubber to be pushed on all the way and the whole lot slides off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I use these for zigs. They drop the lead much better than your std lead clip. Wet the clip and just push the tail rubber on a tiny bit. Drops the lead every time and can withstand big casts.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2017 at 10:33, DEANO30 said:

Also these are a very good allows the lead to drop off on a heli/chod rig ... once pressure is applied on the hooklink ... i always like the lead to fall off as during the fight i find the lead moving about can weaken the hook hold.

images-1.jpg

Lqast year i had the plastic hook in the korda helisafe stap on a big cast numerous times in one session, i found that anything more that 2.5-3oz weights would do this even on a reasonable cast.

On 14 June 2012 at 09:03, salokcinnodrog said:

Safe Helicopter set-up which works with Naked Chod or leaders

Helicopter.jpg

Helicopter001.jpg

A length of stiff tubing, and a Tail rubber at the end, and a large ring swivel.

The beads are soft rubber beads, and under LIGHT pressure do release, so there is no way that the fish should get snagged up and be left trailing any more than just a rig. The length of tubing can be used as a short length shown, or can be used longer if you would like a more Silt style set-up. As can be seen from the second pic, the lead is held onto a quick link swivel by the wide end of the tail rubber. Again this tail rubber can eject from the tubing, and in addition the lead should be able to be ejected safely.

If you use it with a leader, please make sure that the top bead can slide over the leader knot and that the rig swivel can also go over it, although any leader increases the chance of a tethered fish. I would suggest that if there are any snags or weed then the leader is dispensed with.

On 3 February 2017 at 14:49, phildalton1982 said:

Safety is paramount, can you use a heli set up on mainline or only leadcore??

On 3 February 2017 at 15:11, David_gravesend said:

Both Korda and fox do naked line heli set ups

On 3 February 2017 at 15:17, phildalton1982 said:

Yeah but are they safe? Im not happy with the swivel being rammed down by the lead causing a possible break. Especially after a long awaited bite! A chod is a heli rig, one and only time i used one i had a bite, picked it up, line parted by link for lead. Yes i was using buffer this, safety that BUT still broke, and yes my knot was strong

The line breaking on a naked helicopter set-up is something I discovered years ago, (:shock:1994ish), so came up with my own version using stiff tubing and rubber beads.

I have copied my post from years ago in Safe Lead set ups

23 hours ago, keeno86 said:

Lqast year i had the plastic hook in the korda helisafe stap on a big cast numerous times in one session, i found that anything more that 2.5-3oz weights would do this even on a reasonable cast.

I've used these for dealing with extreme weed with zero problems even when chucking big. I rate them.