River Wye info

Hi Chaps,

Never having caught a Barbel, and in an attempt to put that right, I am planning trip to The River Wye this summer, probably in July.

I would really appreciate any information on where to fish, where to stay, what baits and techniques work best. I'm planning to sign up with The Wye & Usk Foundation, as I've heard that's the best place to get decent River Wye beats. If anyone has a better idea, I'd be interested to hear it?

Cheers

Theo

Hi Theo.... long time no speak .

I haven't been doing so much on the Wye the last few years . But ,Hereford district angling is definitely worth a look mate . 50 odd £ a year & plenty of barbel runs to go at .

If you do go down this route I can put you on site few stretches that will do doubles :wink:

IMG_20130616_004738_zpse617e767.jpg

Edited by chillfactor

Hey Chill,

good to be back. Basically, in my old job I had a lot of spare time, it was basically sitting around waiting for something to go wrong, this one is a hell of a lot busier, hence disappearing off the forum fore a while, but it's still my first port of call when I need some info.

Hereford Sounds interesting. Apart from anything else, it's a a bit closer. What sort of tactics did you use?

From what I understand, the wye and usk foundation is actually a collection of most of most of the local societies along the Wye, so Hereford might even come under that. I'm going to give them a bell next week and see what they've got offer. 

tactics wise .... you can either roll baits through the swim or anchor them down with heavy leads both catch fish .

Rig wise just standard knot less knot mate for ledgering , with slightly longer rigs . Boilies, pellets , meat , corn , maggots all will catch but boilies tend to target the barbel better than most things halibut pellets are also good but did seem to blow towards the end of my time fishing the Wye.

Hi Chaps,

Never having caught a Barbel, and in an attempt to put that right, I am planning trip to The River Wye this summer, probably in July.

I would really appreciate any information on where to fish, where to stay, what baits and techniques work best. I'm planning to sign up with The Wye & Usk Foundation, as I've heard that's the best place to get decent River Wye beats. If anyone has a better idea, I'd be interested to hear it?

Cheers

Theo

No need to travel that far unless you really want to, there are some big barbel rivers much closer to Brighton.

Think it's a river he personally wants to fish Bishop, I remember talking to theo about it 4-5 years ago on here .

I was still fishing the Wye a lot back then & Funnily enough I'm heading back to the rivers this year myself.

Mainly the Wye but the Severn will also have some time spent on it.... got my eye on a stretch that could easily do a record fish if my lucks in + some big carp .

Hi Im looking to do an old school canoe camping trip. Canoe down the River Wye and Tarp or Camp on beaches/islands. Has anyone done this before? Have you encountered any problems.

Harriet, not really the place to get the information you require, I have inboxed you the info that will lead you to exactly what you are looking for from some very nice friendly people who are always willing to help [emoji16] im a member on that forum as I occasionally dip a paddle too....good luck with the info hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bishops,

I'm guessing you mean The Rother and The Arun. IMHO one of those will be the next river to break the Barbel record, if they haven't already. :wink: But the Barbel in there, whilst often massive, are very few and far between, and I just don't have that amount of time or flexibility at the moment. Wye Barbel tend not to go as big, but are more numerous. As I've not actually caught one before I'd be quite happy to come away from my trip with two or three up to 7-8lbs. And on top of all that, The Wye is one of Britain's last great, relatively unspoiled rivers. One that should be near the top of any river angler's bucket list.