Newbie Carp Rigs

Richard713

Hi everyone,

I'm new to carping and rig tying.

So far I've managed to make some decent blowback rigs and also a few multi rigs and ronnie rigs for the popups. Many of the waters in my area are silty or clay bottom - I was wondering whether there are any other rigs I should be taking a look at that are not too difficult to tie up. Had a go at the IQD rig but struggled with the stiff hooklink kinking. I was looking at wafters and wondering which rig they would be used on.

why are you starting off with so many rigs??

6" hooklink with a knotless knot and a short hair has been catching carp for generations and is still a good place to start.

the addition of a rig ring to create a blowback rig is the next logical step and every rig that is in use now is just a variation on the theme,

kicker here, shrink tube to hold the hair on the bend there.

there is an old adjective that i always think applies more to fishing than anything else and that is ''slowly, slowly catchee monkey''

start small and build YOUR OWN style from there would be my advice :wink:

Most of my fishing revolves around keeping it as simple as possible, so a basic knotless knotted rig with decent length hair, with if circumstances dictate, a line aligner.

A line aligner can make a difference, it is possible for carp to eject a knotless knotted rig, but for some reason struggle to do so with line aligner. It may simply be the shank extension that causes the problems for the fish.

I also use a sliding rig ring on the shank, but I do NOT have it attached to the hair coming from the eye of the hook, but rather use it as the attachment for the hair itself.

If you go to https://forum.carp.com/topic/17282-carpcom-guide-to-the-knotless-knot-and-rigs/ and look at my sliding pop-up rig, that is what I use for pop-ups, snowman baits, double baits, etc. It means I can tie on a hair to the length I require, and fish with whatever bait I want, be that Wafter or snowman, or balanced double baits.

Do not confuse yourself, a post in that thread says most fish are caught in spite of the rig not because of it, and it is true.

Years ago, I started a thread called 'Complicated rigs',

https://forum.carp.com/topic/358-complicated-rigs/?hl=%2Bcomplicated+%2Brigs but there have been many others along the lines of confusion rules, or do we over complicate things, in fact if you put 'complicated rigs' in the search, those two will come up and may be worth a read.

Yes I like the idea of keeping things simple. I'm going to go down the route of tying up some basic knotless knot rigs with a short hair and get some wafters ! I've got a couple packs of Nash Fang X hooks in a size 7. Wondering what brand / size wafter would balance well with this hook ?

I find a 15mm mainline wafters works well with a size 7

Most of my fishing revolves around keeping it as simple as possible, so a basic knotless knotted rig with decent length hair, with if circumstances dictate, a line aligner.

A line aligner can make a difference, it is possible for carp to eject a knotless knotted rig, but for some reason struggle to do so with line aligner. It may simply be the shank extension that causes the problems for the fish.

I also use a sliding rig ring on the shank, but I do NOT have it attached to the hair coming from the eye of the hook, but rather use it as the attachment for the hair itself.

If you go to https://forum.carp.com/topic/17282-carpcom-guide-to-the-knotless-knot-and-rigs/ and look at my sliding pop-up rig, that is what I use for pop-ups, snowman baits, double baits, etc. It means I can tie on a hair to the length I require, and fish with whatever bait I want, be that Wafter or snowman, or balanced double baits.

Do not confuse yourself, a post in that thread says most fish are caught in spite of the rig not because of it, and it is true.

https://forum.carp.com/topic/358-complicated-rigs/?hl=%2Bcomplicated+%2Brigs but there have been many others along the lines of confusion rules, or do we over complicate things, in fact if you put 'complicated rigs' in the search, those two will come up and may be worth a read.

Mr boss man.... that first link you provided to the knotless knot stuff NEEDS to be stickied if it is not already. Please thank you [emoji4][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr boss man.... that first link you provided to the knotless knot stuff NEEDS to be stickied if it is not already. Please thank you [emoji4][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticky at top of Rig Tying section :wink:

I find a 15mm mainline wafters works well with a size 7

With pop-ups, and to some extent wafters, the size, gauge, and even brand of hooks all make the bait behave differently.

A Gardner Mugga may be the same sort of pattern as a Gamakatsu GP204 in a size 6, but each has a different weight.

Even every pop-up is likely to have a different mass and buoyancy, from batch to batch and manufacturer!

Basically if you are wanting to critically balance to perfection, you will need to set up every rig every time.

As for myself, I tend to over balance, or overweight any pop-up rather than critically balance. On a snowman bait, the pop-up is not often buoyant enough to lift the bottom bait up so that I need to put extra weight on.

When I weight my pop-ups I also don't often faff with minuscule amounts of putty to get it right. One reason is crayfish will munch tungsten putty so I tend to use a (pole anglers) olivette NOT carp anglers pop-up weights, which are subject to carp tax.

In most cases the angler fishing does not know how his or her pop-up sits in relation to the hook and the angle of 'delivery'. The image of the hook sat bend upwards is not often correct!

thanks for posting this link , its a great read and some very useful information is contained within it .

dave  

• 1 year later...
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:36, jock said:

Cvr hook double blowback rig good for all baits hook holds 100 per cent 

Have you got a pic of one Jock? Not sure I know what that is mate...…. Must admit I am trying to keep everything as simple as poss' these days.. I've had a habit in the past of really overcomplicating things to the point of madness...……. Welcome to the forum mate.