River Fishing

brugge

thanks for the replies, l was wondering the best way of presenting my bait in the river, the river at this time of year is fast flowing so l don't know whether anything l place near my hook bait is staying there, l have caught  carp there before but not having a lot of luck at the moment also taking into account its winter, any tips,

brugge

find some slow water , dam, i dont fancy your chances in fast water , dont think im your man really as my rods dont come out on my local rivers round Bolton in winter as there aint much there , in summer when im in France they will be out again , but my summer  fishing tactics , mainly in the margins / snags are completely unsuitable in fast water , your wasting time and money throwing any freebies into moving water , at best you might get a few bits stuck between rocks and pebbles , if thats what the bottom is , if you find a good size deep hole , trough on the river bottom and you can land some bait in it , you could be onto a winner , simple rigs , big leads , warm clothes and a big flask of hot stuff ! must admit im waiting for some clear crisp winter mornings to do a bit of dead baiting for pike !

Good luck !

• 1 month later...

Hi, not fished up that end of the vienne, l normally fish the vienne around St Leonard de Noblat, or on the Maulde that feeds the vienne, lots of barrages on the Maulde with a good lake at Bujaleuf. I live south about 20 mins south of Limoges and also fish a local lake about 3 hectres with some good carp in , biggest I've had 11.4kg about 25lb,

brugge

• 2 months later...

I live in 87500 south of Limoges and fish the Vienne quite often - usually within a few km of Aixe sur Vienne. The river here is stuffed full of barbel, but nothing much bigger than 4/5lb most of the time. I have had carp to 25lb here but tackling up is always a matter of balance between over gunning yourself for the barbel or not fishing strong enough for the carp. In the end I settled for a pair of Free Spirit Barbel Tamers - the 11' 2lb test ones - and these have proved to be absolutely perfect for the job paired with a pair of Shimano DL6000s.  I tend to fish with 10lb line through spring and summer as the bottom is snaggy and line gets a lot of roughing up. My experience has been that most of my carp have come from the margins and slacks whilst the barbel tend to really shoal up in pacy stretches. The Barbel Tamers have also handled carp up to 16kg from my local club lake with absolutely no problems at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the barbell in the Dordogne go to a very good size , over 20 lb , not so big in the river lot though , different strain , I've not had bigger than around6 - 7 lb , great fun though when you get into them , you might be in a spot of bother if you manage to hook a large carp on barbell tackle though  

I have just had a week in Spain fishing, not a fishing trip but a holiday and took a rod with me, l went into the local Decathlon bought myself a kg of Ring pellets 4.95€ a kilo with also a litre of sardine oil 5.95€ ( l think it is for sea fishing ) but went on the River Muga and caught  2 nice river carp both around 5/6kg. The sardine oil do'snt smell of much but it certainly attracted the Turtles (Terrapins ) that must of been released into the river that was a pain in the rear  like crayfish, l couldn't make out what are in the ring pellets, other than that they look like a halibut pellet but red'ish, the biggest problem l had was keeping the pellets on the hook without using a hair rig. l used the bait bands that either snapped or they just fell off when l cast out, anybody have any ideas to keep them on?

I also live close to the River Vienne and fish for carp. I think that the OP is fishing too far upstream. St. Leonard de Noblet is noted for trout and grayling. The carp of any size don't really feature until the Palais de Vienne and Aixe-sur-Vienne. None of the rivers so far up in the hills will yield large carp. There are some carp fishing stretches below Aixe-sur-Vienne in the St. Victurnien to St. Junien areas.

Interesting the report of 20lb barbel in the Dordogne. I've not heard of any confirmed reports of fish of this size and the French rod caught record is just over 16lb and has stood for over thirty years. I've had them to just over 8lb in the Vienne at Exideuil and further downstream, and also in the Charente. If there were confirmed 20lb barbel in the River Dordogne I'd be down there like a shot. In fact we are heading that way next week for a few days so I'll make some enquiries.

Back to the carp; Frolicks dog biscuits are a very popular bit for carp in this area. I snip a slot in the ringed biscuit and slip a bait band through the slot and around the biscuit. But to be fair I've had more carp and barbel on maize than everything else put together. As has been said; carp favour the slower water so fishing above weirs and in slow water behind obstructions is a good bet. They aren't rig shy so any reasonable presentation will get you fish. Even quiver tipping with a swim feeder will get you some nice carp IF you are in the right location.

Best of luck!

15 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I also live close to the River Vienne and fish for carp. I think that the OP is fishing too far upstream. St. Leonard de Noblet is noted for trout and grayling. The carp of any size don't really feature until the Palais de Vienne and Aixe-sur-Vienne. None of the rivers so far up in the hills will yield large carp. There are some carp fishing stretches below Aixe-sur-Vienne in the St. Victurnien to St. Junien areas.

Interesting the report of 20lb barbel in the Dordogne. I've not heard of any confirmed reports of fish of this size and the French rod caught record is just over 16lb and has stood for over thirty years. I've had them to just over 8lb in the Vienne at Exideuil and further downstream, and also in the Charente. If there were confirmed 20lb barbel in the River Dordogne I'd be down there like a shot. In fact we are heading that way next week for a few days so I'll make some enquiries.

Back to the carp; Frolicks dog biscuits are a very popular bit for carp in this area. I snip a slot in the ringed biscuit and slip a bait band through the slot and around the biscuit. But to be fair I've had more carp and barbel on maize than everything else put together. As has been said; carp favour the slower water so fishing above weirs and in slow water behind obstructions is a good bet. They aren't rig shy so any reasonable presentation will get you fish. Even quiver tipping with a swim feeder will get you some nice carp IF you are in the right location.

Best of luck!

there is a restaurant in Bergerac where there is a locally caught barbell stuffed that sure looks 20 lb + they go to over 30 lb in spain so I reckon there is a good chance they are over 20 lb in south France , I have seen one around 16 - 17 lb caught on the Dordogne ! 

7 hours ago, gagnaccarp said:

there is a restaurant in Bergerac where there is a locally caught barbell stuffed that sure looks 20 lb + they go to over 30 lb in spain so I reckon there is a good chance they are over 20 lb in south France , I have seen one around 16 - 17 lb caught on the Dordogne ! 

Its a bit of a mystery. The guy who writes for the Charente Living magazine claimed that barbel of 10Kg (22lb) have been caught in the River Vienne but the French record is way below that and the next two biggest wouldn't raise an eyebrow on the Dearne where I used to fish. They were caught by lure anglers incidentally.  I reckoned that if there were any barbel of 10Kg or so they would have fallen to carp anglers on the bigger rivers such as the Seine, Rhone, Dordogne and Lot where the British and Dutch anglers regularly fish and as such been claimed as records.

The large barbel in Spain are I think a different strain and can grown to over 30lb in some of the dams (stillwater barbel anyone? LOL ) . There are barbel over 200lb to be caught if you fancy risking a session in the Turkey / Iraq border area.

I have fished the Lot many times and caught many of the Iberian  strain up  to around 5-6 lb , good fun on light tackle , a few of the lads I know don't talk much about the "big uns " they catch and I am sworn to secrecy !

All I will say is that im spoilt for choice as to where to fish !

I hope that you are right. It would be nice to think that there are some decent double figure barbel about. For the first five years over here I have concentrated on finding the bigger barbel. I can guarantee fish up to 6lb then it gets harder. I travel quite a lot in my job and have spent hours walking the banks of the Vienne and Charente rivers, baiting swims up, and whilst I've seen plenty of large carp I have never seen a barbel over around 8 lb. The Charente downstream of Angouleme is probably the most verdant river you could wish for. Superb water quality and plenty of limestone that promotes weed growth and in turn insect life. The chub, perch, pike and carp thrive, but the barbel seem to hit an 8lb ceiling. The water quality of the Vienne isn't as good, but there are carp to over 40lb in some stretches, and again I have only caught barbel to just over 8lb, and never seen anything bigger in the baited swims.

I have basically decided to stop fighting against the current and go with the flow this year. Hence me coming on here. River carp are the new barbel for me.

I am going down to the Dordogne river area next week for a few days. We go down there a couple of times a year in the camper van so I'll make some enquiries locally. I would have thought that if there were 20lb barbel in French rivers somebody would have posted a photo or a video online by now.