Carp rod sizes??

Long rods are not just about the cast and even at 5',6'' you would soon get used to how to get the best out of a cast, longer rods also give a better line pick up when fishing at distance, making putting the hook home on the take more of a guarantee than a shorter rod, 12 foot is ideal for most waters in this country and they would be fine with your height, i'm only 5'8'' ish myself.

Longer rods also give a better line pick up when fishing at distance, making putting the hook home on the take more of a guarantee than a shorter rod, 

I agree with that to an extent, but where a long rod becomes a bit of a bind is at netting time. Fine if there is somebody there with you to assist, but if you are on your own it can be a bit of a faff trying to get the fish close enough to the bank to be able to slip the net under it. A shorter rod gives you much more control.

I personally prefer shorter rods (11') for this reason. Plus a shorter rod is more accurate to cast with, although as you say you are fishing a "big" water this is most probably not so important.

I grew up (did I ever????) using 9, 10 and 11 foot leger rods, in those days a 12 footer was a bit of a rarity, and I just feel more comfortable with them.

I would personally prefer to lose maybe 20/30 yards off of my casting distance for the extra control.

But it's horses for courses as in most things