MAINLINE what is everyone using?

4 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Not sure about the colour mate :shock::lol:

20170213_144314_zpscewelk2v.jpg

Bedded on well , was hitting the clip at 140 with it yonny, in cross winds so can't moan at that . I can tell it's got the  abrasion properties you mentioned too, did a little test & it can take some real abuse before it gives up, 

Thanks for the heads up 8)

That colour though :shock:

As a Ginger Haired Gentleman , what's wrong with the lovely Coppery  Colour :( ? . 

As ive mentioned in the past all our tackle items we selected are personal choice a recommendations by others, be it a friend or a glossy mag, or passed usage.Recently i wanted to change the fluorocarbon on my shallow spools and the  braid on both my marker rod and spod rod, now im not a skin flint when it come to my tackle, but sometimes the costs just seem to runaway with themselves once the door of the tackle shop closes behind you. ive used kontor by korda for a number of years and fount its to be a superb line but for some angler on a buget or young angler the cost of the branded line and other tackle items at that can be very daunting,this year with a growing family my tackle buget has to be curtailed so i went in search of alternative products. i googled fluorocarbon fishing lines and came across a products by Kastking an american outfit promoting a line called fluorokote. a  while later I'd purchased 3 spools of 15lb line with a diameter of 0.30 as they only sold in 300yrds foraround £15 , also in the same transaction 3 spools of 20lb at 0.35 for £18. marker  and spod braid 25lb (0.25)-40lb (0.30) for £18-00. now im not saying this is the best product onthe planet just that there are tackle items to meet a buget out there, look around gentlemen spend your penny's wisely. ive loaded the 15lb onto my  shallow spools and only fished a short session so ive not done any big casts at the moments, the line seems ok a little stretcher than normal. ill let you all know how the line preforms over the coming season tight lines  evry one 

On 2/13/2017 at 15:00, chillfactor said:

Not sure about the colour mate :shock::lol:

20170213_144314_zpscewelk2v.jpg

Bedded on well , was hitting the clip at 140 with it yonny, in cross winds so can't moan at that . I can tell it's got the  abrasion properties you mentioned too, did a little test & it can take some real abuse before it gives up, 

Thanks for the heads up 8)

That colour though :shock:

Many thanks for the review Chill 

:)

• 1 month later...

16lb Tiger line, cant fault it, other than having to clean it after each session, i had a pike get it in its mouth on Monday, no damage what so ever, even the lake owner was surprised it didn't cut the line, great stuff, wouldn't want to fill a big spool up with it though

Edited by Carpbell_ll

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2017 at 10:16, chillfactor said:

Just ordered some in 15lb yonny.... thanks for the info .

Will get it loaded & give it a good testing down the field

Sound mate 8)

Hello Yonny / Chill and anyone who's interested .

I was using 12lb Rigmarole SLS Specimen , but I'm going to try the 15lb as I've twice had my line snap . The first time I thought I might have caught it on the Fishing Platform and weakened it . The second time a Carp ( that felt like an upper double ) was going for some lilies and when I tried to stop it the line snapped - the line was a bit scuffed up  , but previously it had only been into some lilies .

I guess 0.30mm is just too thin when there are lilies around ( and an odd branch that's snapped off a tree and sunk in the lake )  with Carp up to high 20s ? .

Well I changed over main lines as I felt the Gardner wasn't quite right in a gin clear lake over weed.

Back on the P-line Floroclear, but in the mist green. It takes a Uni knot nicely, casts to over a hundred yards so far, with no leader added, although I haven't really pushed it. First trip with it on this week and had a double figure bream first cast in daylight. Not managed a carp, but don't think I was anywhere near them.

http://p-line.com/line/fluorocarbon-coated/floroclear

8 hours ago, crusian said:

I was using 12lb Rigmarole SLS Specimen , but I'm going to try the 15lb as I've twice had my line snap . The first time I thought I might have caught it on the Fishing Platform and weakened it . The second time a Carp ( that felt like an upper double ) was going for some lilies and when I tried to stop it the line snapped - the line was a bit scuffed up  , but previously it had only been into some lilies .

I guess 0.30mm is just too thin when there are lilies around ( and an odd branch that's snapped off a tree and sunk in the lake )  with Carp up to high 20s ? .

Very surprised to hear this mate as the 15lb is proving to be bullet proof.  Had plenty of upper twenties on it since giving it a go from weedy snaggy lakes . Was it cut when you checked where it snapped or obviously stretched to the point it snapped ?  Or did it snap at the knot? 

8 hours ago, crusian said:

Must admit I used 12lb Sensor line near lilies quite regularly with no problems, I can't recall a single break off with it, although around 200mm of tubing up the line may have helped. Saying that if the fish got into the lilies, then 200mm is no length.

Not found lilies to be sharp, very thick roots definitely, some as thick as my arm, but not sharp or abrasive.

9 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Very surprised to hear this mate as the 15lb is proving to be bullet proof.  Had plenty of upper twenties on it since giving it a go from weedy snaggy lakes . Was it cut when you checked where it snapped or obviously stretched to the point it snapped ?  Or did it snap at the knot? 

Hello Chill

The line snapped " cleanly " above the Polaris Float . The line about 1-2 ft. above the break was scuffed up . I don't think I overstretched the line .

9 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Lilies have very sharp stems, if you want to play with them, tubing or braid, any nylon is useless, it will be cut off.

Ah thanks CM I mustn't take the lilies so lightly and check my line carefully next time a Carp tries to plough into them .

3 hours ago, pooter said:

Technium black. 12 or 15lb.

Thanks Pooter .

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Well I changed over main lines as I felt the Gardner wasn't quite right in a gin clear lake over weed.

Back on the P-line Floroclear, but in the mist green. It takes a Uni knot nicely, casts to over a hundred yards so far, with no leader added, although I haven't really pushed it. First trip with it on this week and had a double figure bream first cast in daylight. Not managed a carp, but don't think I was anywhere near them.

http://p-line.com/line/fluorocarbon-coated/floroclear

Thanks Nick .

Is it me or have my " likes " option disappeared along with my emojis ? . 

6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not found lilies to be sharp, very thick roots definitely, some as thick as my arm, but not sharp or abrasive.

Me neither Nick... would never discibe Lillie stems as sharp or abrasive. 

Never had issues with them even if you go back to fishing very light for tench etc on the float. 

Edited by chillfactor

11 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hello Chill

The line snapped " cleanly " above the Polaris Float . The line about 1-2 ft. above the break was scuffed up . I don't think I overstretched the line . . 

Definitely sound like you were up against snags at some point mate which obviously weakened it . Can't imagine that happening to the 15lb tbh.... haven't used the 12lb so can't comment really. 

31 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Very surprised to hear this mate as the 15lb is proving to be bullet proof.  Had plenty of upper twenties on it since giving it a go from weedy snaggy lakes .

Likewise, very surprised.... it's the most abrasions resistant line I've used!

I'd be using more than 12 lb line if  I was fishing to lillies.

9 hours ago, crusian said:

the line was a bit scuffed up  , but previously it had only been into some lilies .

There's your answer bud.... I'd always check my line after it's been subject to some lilly abuse and remove a few feet if required. Sounds like it just about stood up to the lilles the first time round but was too much to go again.

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

There are very different variaties Nick, be carefull what advice you give, we have in the local area, as you say, we also have lilies with very small tubers and very sharp stems, i have cut myself pulling some out, it depends on what was planted, there is no one solution to the problem.

Thanks for all your comments fellas .

That's interesting what you are saying CM ; for years I have always thought the " lilies " with the " buttercup " looking yellow flowers and noticeably different shaped leaves ,  were Kingcups . However , recently Ray Mears called them Yellow Lilies . 

So I'm thinking as there seems to be different polite opinions as to whether " Lilies " are abrasive or not , perhaps it's all down to varieties ? .

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Likewise, very surprised.... it's the most abrasions resistant line I've used!

I'd be using more than 12 lb line if  I was fishing to lillies.

There's your answer bud.... I'd always check my line after it's been subject to some lilly abuse and remove a few feet if required. Sounds like it just about stood up to the lilles the first time round but was too much to go again.

1 hour ago, Highy said:

20170731_082006.thumb.png.f567604e95cbf9c57a95b3a6abec02c7.png

Hi all...this is what i have spooled on mine...just being a tart as i thought camo looking will keep with the under water look (hopefully)20170731_081936.thumb.png.7c727ca6170362f8450230716e24019e.png

Hello Highy 

Will you be posting a review pls. ? 

10 minutes ago, LB74 said:

Anybody tried/used the new Ridgemonkey NEW RM-Tec Mono Mainline  I like that it comes in 1200m but have not seen any unbiased reviews on it? According to the latest Tackle Box line test it's looks very very thick:

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/pdfs/line_tests_issue9.pdf

also dont trust that tacklebox test though. Plenty of people will tell you its rubbish.

I.E. I have the original run of gardner hd in 15lb, it wont break at 14lb at all, its been put under more pressure than that and not even looked like going. Maybe the most recent run is different, I dont know but I wouldn;t trust the results fully