I know this isn't carp but figured someone else here might have ventured down this route also. Im lookinv at getting into going after cats around the country, its something of a dream I have had for a while now, and wanted to see if anyone can recommend any gear to buy, rod, reel and line mainly. I dont mind treating myself a bit as, like I said, it's a drem of mine and 2017 is my year for it. Has anyone had any experience with good or bad gear,and what should I look at buying or avoiding?

Thank you!

~X

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

The only time I've caught cats was while fishing for carp and on every occasion I was using 24mm boilies on a long hair and 18lb line, Sufix Synergy.

Rods were, and still are, Greys Prodigys in 3lb test and reels were Diawa BRi 5000's.

If I were to go looking for cats I'd use the same rods, my more recent Shimano Longcast Big Baitrunners which also carry the Synergy line and liver as bait.

Ian

That's a nice cat David, I assume you were going for them? What test do you use for mainline?

Isn't a 5000 reel a bit small for cats? I was thinking more in the area of 6-8000, however that's mainly due to me thinking you'd need higher test lines. There's a pond near me, or fairly near, that has cats up to around 60lb

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Over the years I have done fairly well with cats to mid seventies and have always favoured 18lb line as previously stated, I have never found a need for a wire trace and have almost always used 45lb Quicksilver as a hooklink size 2 barbless singles and liver or large halibut pellet (usually wrapped in big ball of paste).

Rods etc as per my carping currently Free spirit X.S and long cast baitrunners.

Most important is get yourself a decent size mat as although they are usually docile on the bank that can be quite a weight bearing down on internal organs, finally learn to chin them out as the ease with which they can swim backwards out of a net is breathtaking literally!

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

Hi mate most lakes won't let you use braid I catfish a look any reel that is big pit is fine and a carp rod of 3 an a quater lb tc is fine a good 20lb line is good as most 30lb line is thick and it tangles and reduce casting rang so basically a carp setup big pits and 10 inch hooklink and size 2/4 hook and your fine mate

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Isn't a 5000 reel a bit small for cats? I was thinking more in the area of 6-8000, however that's mainly due to me thinking you'd need higher test lines.

The old Diawa BRi 5000's are big reels, trust me. Many used to regard them as big pit reels. I still use one on my marker rod. Large spool means rapid retrieve if needed.

Google Diawa Regal Plus 5000BRi and take a look. My son uses my old ones and loves them.

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys I am new to the kitti scene and am about to start fishing for then . Do you guys use 20 pound line straight through and I read not to use a wire trace as it cuts there mouths so glad that was put on for us all to read thank you for that . I live in the south of England and was wondering does any one have any tips on correct hooks and anything else that will help me keep any cats I catch safe. 

• 1 year later...