Ducks

newmarket

• 4 weeks later...

My brother used to live over the road from me and often kept ducks.  Once he took his family to Greece on holiday and it fell to me to tend them, ie let them out of their shed in the mornings, feed them twice a day and usher them into the shed in the evenings.

I enjoyed doing this, finding them friendly and quite intelligent

The evening before brothers return I was a little late in arriving to put them away and found that foxes had found them to be delicious, too.

Our Kid was very understanding, relieved almost, as he'd grown sick of duck eggs.............

Ian

My brother used to live over the road from me and often kept ducks.  Once he took his family to Greece on holiday and it fell to me to tend them, ie let them out of their shed in the mornings, feed them twice a day and usher them into the shed in the evenings.

I enjoyed doing this, finding them friendly and quite intelligent

The evening before brothers return I was a little late in arriving to put them away and found that foxes had found them to be delicious, too.

Our Kid was very understanding, relieved almost, as he'd grown sick of duck eggs.............

Ian

:mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

Good morning Newmarket:lol:

Long time no speak, somewhere back in 2014 methinks. A thousand years ago I had a print finishing business, by the Bow flyover (London innit) I used a platemaker not far from the factory, that had two Canada geese in the yard of his premises that would come running at you hissing and flapping for all they were worth. Anyone who came onto their land was hollered at! They bought them as 'guard-geese' because they were far less costly than, say, dobermans, needed no exercise, food was 'cheap' (pardon the pun) and of course, at the end of their lives - dinner was served!

They had their wings clipped to prevent escape and seemed to flourish in this environment, the proprietor told me that he kept ducks in his pond at home (nice eh?) and found all sizes to be fiercely territorial when needed i.e lots of shouting and-a hollering at night when foxes were on the prowl. Best bet -if you haven't done so already, is to talk to a local vet. I don't suppose they'll know a great deal as duck is so yummy and likely 'vetted' on. If had a choice, it would be a 'mandarin', the males are so colourful, but you may need a couple to keep them contented. Sounds like a great idea and good luck! VBW Boriskat.

• 4 years later...