Chest waders

I was talking to a friend about getting some waders and he questioned me on if I really need them or would be better off just getting some waterproofs which h got me thinking do I need them and what's the difference? The way I see it I already have a waterproof coat and with having some waders ill have the bottom half covered all in one. But as I don't really do any river fishing and the lakes I fish don't have many swimming where you would need to get in the water so do I really need them? And then there's the price surely it's cheaper just to get waders than to get waterproof bottoms and footwear. But with never owning a pair of waders I don't how comfy they are and if there really something you want to be wearing all day. So what would you guys suggest waders or just waterproofs?

Well without trying to sound patronising if you have no reason to enter the water on any of your lakes then I can't see the need to get waders, I'd just go with the waterproof jacket that you have and some waterproof bottoms (sallopetes maybe) and some waterproof footwear. Obviously just my thoughts and opinion [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking to a friend about getting some waders and he questioned me on if I really need them or would be better off just getting some waterproofs which h got me thinking do I need them and what's the difference? The way I see it I already have a waterproof coat and with having some waders ill have the bottom half covered all in one. But as I don't really do any river fishing and the lakes I fish don't have many swimming where you would need to get in the water so do I really need them? And then there's the price surely it's cheaper just to get waders than to get waterproof bottoms and footwear. But with never owning a pair of waders I don't how comfy they are and if there really something you want to be wearing all day. So what would you guys suggest waders or just waterproofs?

the idea of wearing waders all day would scare the life out of me, you would sweat that much you could dehydrate :lol:

i think personally that unless you are fishing for lumps that are that heavy that they would sustain injury by being netted out you dont need em, on the very odd occasion that i will get snagged up with a fish its just down to boxers and swim :wink:

I used mine to help get bait out 100 yds.  My friend stood on shore and loaded my home built 500ml pop-bottle spod from the pail then I in my waders waded out as far as I could then cast, (12' surf rod and Shimmy 6500 sea reel), wade back until I could present the spod for another loading, etc.  If the waves were up couldn't be done, but normally 4 gal or so of bait took about 15 min to put out.  I had chest waders fill up on me once in the 70's when retrieving ducks in an old gravel pit and it's scary.  I had to wait while my friend found a dead tree the right size to reach out to me and help haul me in.  I drove the Gipsy back in the dark naked, wrapped in a Hudson Bay blanket hoping I wouldn't get pulled over.

• 2 months later...

I finally got to give the Proswaders a good work out today at a work party on the lake I'm fishing. So as promised here's an honest opinion. Unfortunately there are no photos, would of felt a bit of a **** , asking complete strangers to photograph me in waders.

The material is a thick rubbery type and stood up to some abuse, as I was the only one with chesties, so did a lot of margin snag removal, some pretty vicious ones at that. I was getting right in there to find the stems , cutting, and then lugging them up the bank. The water level is down, so I knelt down several times on the gravel banks and sleepers as I was getting out of the water. Incidentally, the lake was frozen so the ice had to be broken in the edge, but they stood up fine to the hard plates of ice as well as the kneeling down.

I was wearing, thermals and combat trousers and they fit ok over the top, with the boot fitting perfectly with one pair of socks on. ( I ordered my real size, and not a size above).

The elasticated  straps, again , were very comfortable. And felt strong enough. I'd also say that the waders offer some form of thermal protection. The water was, well,  freezing, but it wasn't too bad up to my waist in 20 minute/ half hour bursts of work.

Now for a couple of bad points. The boots , although they have a heavy cleat, I did slip a few times. Perhaps I'm being a bit picky, as it was frost and Ice and some very steep banks. Some spiked soles would have been more appropriate today, which these don't have. Sleepers covered in frost are a difficult obstacle whatever you wear.

The other thing was the elastic shoulder straps. The clips held firm, but the elastic did come loose a couple of times. To be honest I didn't adjust them before putting them on and I was doing a lot of bending and kneeling and crawling up steep banks. Which, after an hour or two, caused the elastic straps to work loose.

All in all I'm really pleased with them, I gave them a good four hours of abuse in some pretty awful conditions. I will only be using them sparingly in my normal fishing, for landing fish or for the odd awkward cast. So for £38 a pop, I would definitely recommend them. :P

just bought some , im sick of going chest deep in stinking silt in just my wellies  !